A Ripple Conversation With Lee Michael Stevens

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Probably touring the West Coast of America playing shows in Las Vegas, LA, San Diego, Long Beach & Oceanside California in Sept/Oct 2019 with my band The Swagger.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

There's no particular rule on how I write a song tbh, normally the melody comes then the music, then the words later. Great songs only come around once in a while but it's an awesome feeling when it does.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Growing up listening to older music as my parents would put on Beatles records, but i would say it's gotta be Oasis for me growing up in the 90s Britpop era they were the band that got me into songwriting etc and probably influenced me the most.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

I get inspired by my own life experiences and normally write about myself or how I am feeling at the time, as I use music as a way of expressing myself & communication on a spiritual level.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?


 

Well being based in London where you have so many bands etc trying to make it and so many music venues to choose from makes it more difficult to stand out, as there's a lot of competition. But i think you just have to focus on yourself and just be bang on it, passionate, committed and believe in your music as self belief is most important as i think it doesn't really matter where ya from as long as you have the right attitude & determination you will make it far in life, in whatever you do.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

Choosing a name wasn't difficult for me at all as 'Lee Michael Stevens' is my full name and has now become my stage name, but maybe one day you can refer to me as 'LMS' lol.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

I would love to write a James Bond soundtrack someday, as my song 'I Feel The Love' has potential to be in a bond movie which you will hear when it's released.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

The song I have chosen is my latest single 'Broken Hearted Britain'

 

"a song about love, hope and dreaming of a better life. This song is very personal to me as I wanted to write a song about not being afraid to change and things can work out if you only give it a chance and not giving up on your hopes & dreams and love. It's a love song for the British people about standing together as one and getting through the bad times.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Playing live is what I live for and makes me feel so alive and gets the adrenaline pumping in my veins.

 

What makes a great song?

 

A catchy chorus with an awesome melody with great vocal harmonies/strings etc.

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

I wish I wrote half of The Beatles back catalogue tbh lol.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I am very proud of my new single 'Broken Hearted Britain' as the song sounds big especially when playing live with a full band and full string orchestra with backing singers etc.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

I'm digging a lot of new acts of today including Dylan John Thomas, Jake Bugg, DMA's just to name a few, but Liam Gallagher is the king of rock stars of today and still selling out shows and making great albums.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Both singles ' I Miss U Now' & 'Broken Hearted Britain' are available on all digital streaming platforms including Spotify, Amazon, itunes, Apple Music, Bandcamp etc

 

Debut album 'Part-Time Rock 'N' Roll Star' will be available on CD & Digital download on all streaming platforms.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice


 

Neither, a Pint of Peroni is my poison.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

My hometown is London so I'm sure you will find a decent record store where you come and buy my album.

 

What's next for the band?

 

I plan to release my third single titled 'I Feel The Love' early 2022 before my debut album release on April 9th 2022.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Yes make sure you buy my album when it's out as it's gonna blow your mind!

 

FOLLOW L M S ON SOCIAL MEDIA

 

Website: www.lms-music.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lmstevensmusic

L M S Fan Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lmstevensmusic

Bandcamp: https://lmsmusic.bandcamp.com/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1uQVcrQgUBymULxbnakefg

Twitter: https://twitter.com/lmstevensmusic

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lmstevensmusic/

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/lmstevensmusic

Bandsintown: https://bnds.us/u6eu88

Comments