A Fistful of Questions With Blunt Horse

     Pianist.  Violinist.  Saxamaphonist!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to the heavy metal trio known as Blunt Horse.  

 

What is your full name?

 

Clay: Clay Oboth

 

BG: George Morris Drakeley IV

 

Mike: Michael Diana

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Clay: No

 

BG: The Zing Man

 

Mike: “The Chemist”

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

Clay: I’ve been really into Norse mythology lately and Odin always gave himself interesting names anytime he would go out into the world in disguise. The one that’s really stuck with me is Bölverkr, which roughly means something like ‘worker of misfortune.’ Although I’d be shocked if someone isn't already using that.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Clay: Right now I’m playing guitar and sharing vocal duties in Blunt Horse as well as a proggy, occasionally-blackened post-metal band called Lapsarian

 

BG: Blunt Horse and the death metal band Fallen Void

 

Mike: Blunt Horse and a Trip Hop eclectic duo called EZ-Play

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Clay: The piano.

 

BG: The violin. I sucked ass at it.

 

Mike: Saxamaphone

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Clay: We sang ‘The Itsy Bitsy Spider’ at my preschool graduation. No idea why that stuck with me.

 

BG: I remember playing Hot Cross Buns on the recorder. I might still be able to do it . . .

 

Mike: Riding around in my parents car when I was really young listening to Sabbath and Led Zep and such on the radio.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Clay: I started an alt-rock band in college called Phantomhead with a few high school friends back home.

 

BG: The first band I was in was a prog/death metal band in college called Sunderance.

 

Mike: Grim Biscuits

 

Tell me about the genesis of Blunt Horse. 

 

Clay: I started getting back into metal and guitar near the end of college and, while I had previously found and enjoyed bands like Mastodon and Baroness, I ended up doing a deep dive into sludge and stoner metal and their many, many styles and sub-genres. I moved to Washington, D.C. in 2016 and put out a Craigslist ad which is how I found BG and Mike and things just sort of clicked. We all had a shared interest in progressive sludge and a handful of bands that we all love but then we diverge pretty sharply from there in terms of musical taste, which I think is part of what makes our music interesting. We’re all bringing (sometimes completely) different influences to the writing process.

 

BG: We first met in a bar called the Bier Baron, which according to a quick google maps search still exists.

 

What inspired the name Blunt Horse?

 

Clay: We were all brainstorming names and jotting them down and Blunt Horse ended up taking the cake. I had originally intended it as a punny take on ‘Blunt Force,’ which I don’t think a lot of people take it as, considering our more stoner-y influence haha.

 

BG: I like a horse that is straightforward and to the point; one that doesn’t try to protect your feelings if it has some useful criticisms.

 

Mike: I liked the imagery of the name.  A really stocky horse smokin’ a fat jay.

 

How long did it take you to write and record the three tracks that are on the split you did with Grilth?

 

Clay: Not that long actually. “No Reprise” is a track we had been working on near the tailend of our EP writing process so it was just a matter of tightening up and getting all the transitions and changes down. Mike brought “Nuke the Blow” to the table pretty shortly after, if I remember. The noise interlude was an in-studio decision. We wanted something abrasive to bridge the two tracks but also parallel the noise section right before the guitar solo and chorus reprise in “No Reprise.” I’m really happy with the way it turned out, building and sort of chaotically crescendoing seamlessly into the beginning of “No Reprise.”

 

We ended up recording the tracks in 2019 and reaching out to Grilth about releasing a Split shortly after. Unfortunately, Grilth’s recording process was significantly delayed due to COVID, hence the release nearly a year and half after we recorded these tracks.

 

When should we expect another full-length release from you guys?


 

Clay: Soon, hopefully! We’ve been demoing tracks for a full-length for the past year or so. I actually moved to San Diego back in March 2020 though, so it’s been a bit of trial and error, figuring out a virtual process. Despite some hiccups, I’m pretty confident we’re working on our best material to date so we’re excited to wrap up the writing process and get back in the studio.

 

BG: Each of us having full time jobs is also slowing the process down, but we already have a lot of the songs mostly written.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

BG: After thinking about it, I would say Metallica. It would be pretty easy and I would get to play huge stadium shows.

 

Mike: I’d go back in time and be the tambourine man for The Who.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Clay: “Rumors of War” by High On Fire. It’s short and sweet and banger from start to finish. Oh, and more recently, Beastwars “Storms of Mars” from their latest album. Heavy and emotive. Killer song.

 

BG: I can’t think of any songs that fit that description, but there was a one off joke that Colbert did once that I had written years before in a college newsletter; which I guess is kind of the opposite of what you were asking, but anyway. It was Apocalypse Now and Laters, which in both instances of it being written was funnier in context.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Clay: Definitely. I got into grunge and metal around the same time in middle school and Alice in Chains has to be one of my longest lasting musical influences. Right now, there’s a lot of indie folk that I think captures a similar angst, gloom, and depressive atmosphere to a lot of doom. I think Phoebe Bridgers, for example, really leans into that; her track “I Know The End” was one of my favorite tracks from 2020. A buddy of mine has also been introducing me to a lot of post-punk bands he digs and several have made a pretty big impression on me. I’ve had Protomartyr and Idles on repeat lately so I’d be surprised if that doesn’t subtly nudge it’s way into future writing.

 

BG: I am very influenced by a lot of classical music, mostly Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky. Also a heavy dose of Weird Al.

 

Mike: Did a lot of Jazz in school, like dance music, new phone, super old blues and bluegrass, classic rock, heavy rock, electronica, old skool hip hop, ska/reggae… lots of stuff.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

 Clay: Right now, I’d love to do a doom cover of Noah Gundersen’s “Heartbreaker.”

 

Mike: The Cranberries - “Linger” in black death form, or maybe tectonically slow sludge.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Clay: The now defunct melodic black metal band Mavradoxa put on a killer live show when we played with them in Baltimore. Elagabalus, who was also on the bill, was also pretty sick live.

 

BG: Back when I was in a folk metal band, we played with another folk metal band called Winter’s Wake and they were pretty solid.

 

Mike: The Skatalites - they were monolithic on stage.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

BG: Probably Club Orpheus in Baltimore

 

Mike: Black Cat in DC

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Clay: Not really. I’ll stretch my hands and warm-up my fingers a bit and usually drink a beer before we go on.

 

BG: Mostly just awkward stretching in a dark corner of the venue.

 

Mike: Just sizing out the venue, the sound, and the easiest path from the stage to the place where beer comes from.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Clay: We actually haven’t had a chance to tour with Blunt Horse yet. We’ve played a handful of gigs in Baltimore, but I moved out to California, right as we were starting to gain some steam. We’re focused on our upcoming LP at the moment but we’ll be looking at gigging again and perhaps a min-tour or two when I return to the East Coast to record.

 

BG: Peeing in unorthodox places.

 

Mike: The adventure of new towns and new clubs.  Experiencing the different vibes of the music scene in other locales.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?


 

BG: Bandmates who are bad at driving.

 

Mike: the cramped-ness of the ride and sleeping arrangements,

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Mike: NY and Baltimore

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Mike: We took the shuttle bus from DC to NYC in my old ska band, and the bus driver stopped the bus in the middle of NYC traffic to yell at some dude in another car.  Was pretty surreal.  I take it he was from New York.

 

The year is 2006.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

Clay: Ha. I’m in 6th grade probably listening to Metallica, Nirvana, or Slipknot.

 

BG: High school; Weird Al

 

Mike: I’m the ancient in the band. I was probably listening to Deerhoof and the Mountain Goats a lot. Tool as well.  Think that’s a bit before I got heavily into sludge/stoner/prog.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Clay: Make friends and connections, be good to the people you meet, and make sure you’re having fun.

 

Mike: Play what you want, get in with like minded folks, be prepared to compromise, think outside of the box.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

BG: I am going to jokingly say: a band member moving to California.

 

Clay: Bandmates who refuse to uproot their lives and move across the country to California with you to support your every whim.

 

Mike: Clay moving to California… jk… I was in a really awesome band that played ska reggae and rocksteady, and the guitarists and lead singer bickered endlessly about whether we should play more reggae or more ska.  So I’d have to say arguments between singers and lead guit is the biggest band killer.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Clay: I’d be terrible at naming a festival. Maybe something like “Swamp Burial”? But the three headlining bands would probably be Inter Arma, Thou, and Intronaut.

 

BG: I’d call it: Quiet Time With the Family, and I would pick without giving it too much thought, Amon Amarth, Mastodon, and Candlemass

 

Mike: It’d be called “Cheese Fest” and it would be all hard rock and metal bands covering cheesy 80’s songs.  Tool, Sonic Youth, and Mastodon would headline.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Clay: No more than 2 or 3 days. And I probably wasn’t happy about it.

 

BG: Seven of Eight days, it happens when you are camping.

 

Mike: I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a bath. Covid is a personal hygiene destroyer.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

BG: My social security number.

 

Mike: I don’t bathe a lot when I’m trapped in the house for years at a time.

 

What are two things that people absolutely need to know about Washington D.C.?

 

BG: 1. They pay taxes but don’t have any voting representation in Congress.

2. Cised = excited

 

Mike:  Every kind of restaurant from every corner of the world is here.  Good eats. Music scene only comes in spurts.  A lot of my fav bands play Baltimore instead of DC.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Clay: Hell yeah. I’m always looking for new music and Fistful of DOOM delivers the goods!

 

Mike:  WTF is a podcast?… All that comes to mind is an alien launching out of an egg to latch onto your face.  Clay tells me about all the awesome new bands in the metal world.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Clay: Who says unicorns sleep?

 

BG: Horses sleep lying down, so I imagine unicorns would as well.

 

Mike: When the world sleeps, unicorns are busy haunting people’s dreams.  Clay correct, BG knows nothing of unicorn lore.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Clay: Red Fang’s Murder the Mountains.

 

BG: It would have to be a good album that I had recently purchased. I can listen to a new album over and over again before I get sick of it.

 

Mike: Minutemen “Double Nickels on the Dime”

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

BG: A Short Story by a Tall Man

 

Mike: Alpha-Omega -or- An insider look at the battle between heaven and hell that begins and ends at the mini-mart.

 

Clay: “Exhaustion: A How To Guide” or “All My Best Ideas Come At the Worst Times”

 

What is your favorite song by The Beastie Boys?

 

BG: Probably the one about fighting for your right to party.

 

Mike: Anything from Paul’s Boutique

 

Kreator or Sabaton (if you had to choose)?

 

Clay: Kreator.

 

BG: Sabaton!!!

 

Mike: Uh...

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

BG: If you are inquiring whether I would prefer to spend my time smoking marijuana or in the company of women, I prefer the latter.

 

Mike: Is this about music?  I don’t do doobs anymore, I do edibles, so duh, boobies.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?


 

Clay: Pancakes.

 

BG: Pancakes

 

Mike: I concur, we’re a solid pancake band

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Clay: Hmmm. Star Wars… but I’m getting more into Star Trek.

 

BG: Star Wars

 

Mike: Star Wars, no contest

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Clay: Probably my Yellow Eyes t-shirt. 

 

BG: I have a silly shirt from the now nonexistent but still totally awesome 3 Inches of Blood that I covet the most

 

Mike: Megadeth T from like the men’s warehouse or something.  It’s really comfee and has style.  But for the record, I don’t like megadeth much.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Clay: A good burrito. I moved to San Diego for a reason haha.

 

BG: Just about any stuff wrapped in a dough thing. Dumplings, pierogies, gyoza, potstickers, ravioli, mandu, empanadas, samosas, you get the idea.

 

Mike: Sushi

 

Favorite book?

 

Clay: Maybe John Kennedy Toole’s “A Confederacy of Dunces”?

 

BG: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

 

Mike: Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

 

Favorite movie?

 

Clay: Snatch

 

BG: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

 

Mike: Alien

 

Favorite album?

 

Clay: Right now I’d probably have to pick between Inter Arma’s Sky Burial and The Body’s No One Deserves Happiness.

 

Mike: The Who “Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy”

 

 

     Huge thanks to Clay, BG and Mike for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Please take some time out of your busy day and lend your ears to the split they did with Grilth.  It is well worth your time and attention.  Also.. it has a really clever title. 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson the host of the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://blunthorse.bandcamp.com/album/split

Comments