A Ripple Conversation With David From Moon Coven

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Listening to rock as a child formed my very taste for music. I had many musical awakenings growing up with bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and others.

Two moments really stuck to my memory. One of those was the first time I watched Pink Floyd Live in Pompei. That totally blew me away. The other was seeing Dead Meadow at Austin Psych fest.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

For me, it always begins with the idea. I’m starting to think about a groove or feeling of a song, maybe a melody. When that hits me I have to sit down and finish the idea on my guitar and record it. Maybe lay down some drums to it. After that I show the others what I've come up with and if they like it, I know it’s worth investing more time in it. Then I kind of hum to the riff coming up with the vocal melody and after that I write the lyrics. When all the pieces are ready everyone contributes together to make the song a final product.

Axel also writes songs for the band, and he does it in a similar manner.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Probably my dad. He introduced me to good music and playing the guitar.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

Often in other musical genres than the one we're playing. In arts, books, movies, live gigs, experiences I guess. Also we are good at inspiring each other.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

We all live in Malmö. It's in southern Sweden just next to Copenhagen. Living here has probably made a huge impact on our songwriting. It's a good place for music, culture and new inspiration. Many great venues for live music around and it's pretty easy to find a space and just do whatever you want.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

A friend of ours came up with it. We thought it was a good fit.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Perhaps Beyond the Black Rainbow. But I would have done something different from the music of Moon Coven.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?


 

One of my favorite songs of all time, Beyond the Fields We Know by Dead Meadow. It is an experience to listen to it, it's almost like watching a movie. It has so many great parts, it has dynamic and contrast. A true piece of art. There would be much to write about.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Probably the weirdest thing that happened during a tour was when we accidentally hit a dog on Autobahn in Germany, going over 130 km/h. We totally trashed both the dog and the car. It was insane. The dog looked so happy on the freeway running towards instant death. Rest in peace good animal. Not a good memory.

After a show in Poland, we were invited to a contest of drinking home brewed cherry vodka with the owner of the klubb. Stupid like we were, everyone agreed and went 100%. It’s too embarrassing to tell what happened next. It was out of control and it didn’t end well for anyone.

Our van has been searched X times by police with machine guns. Not sure if they were looking for terrorists or drugs?

We’ve slept in a WWII bunker.

During a festival we attended in Sweden, someone in the audience tripped on LSD and stole a horse from a nearby farm and rode it to the scene area. It was during a gig with another band, one of us was taking a leak in a bush when suddenly a white horse appeared in the night.

We’ve met awesome people and seen awesome places.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

We love playing live. Our goal is to be as good as we can and share the same experience and energy as the audience. The more we are doing the gig together with the people attending, the better the show is.

 

What makes a great song?

 

It has to be genuine and have an originality to it. When it’s a well written song and you can hear it was written of the artist's true will to express, then it really affects me. Also I like to be surprised when listening to music.

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

Hard to remember one song in particular. But when I was a kid my first bands were a death metal band and a thrash metal band. I wrote some songs for both bands, so it must have been one of them.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

The song Bahgsu Nag from our upcoming album because it’s different from anything we’ve written so far. I like how it’s built up with the different parts. I like the melodies and I’m happy with the lyrics.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Tough question! There are many. Some of my top picks are Kevin Parker (Tame Impala), Adrianne Lenker (Big Thief), John Dwyer (Thee Oh Sees), Ty Segall and Kurt Vile.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?


 

I listen most to digital because it’s accessible. But I like vinyl. I really enjoy listening to a full record. And when I turn on a vinyl, I really listen to it.

 

Whiskey or Beer?  And defend your choice

 

Beer because it tastes good and you can drink more.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Rundgång probably has the best collection of rare music and local bands. Skivesset and Folk å Rock are also great record stores.

 

What's next for the band?

 

We’re releasing our next album Slumber Wood in May. And when we are able, we want to play live as much as possible. Also we are almost finished writing another album. So we want to start recording pretty soon.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

I just wanna throw out a big thank you to all who listen to and support our music. It makes it fun to do.

Comments