A Ripple Conversation With The Ocean Beneath

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Probably hearing the guitar solos in the Pink Floyd records my dad played, hearing the guitar sounds and the synthesizer sounds on them records really started me playing music and I bought my first guitar.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Usually tracks start as little pallets of information, a sound from one of the analogue synths or a rhythmical idea jotted down in midi. I must have a 1000 of these on my hard drive, the ones that stand out get turned in to full tracks. Most of them have a feeling attached for me, something I just have to get out in music form.  I think hope, moving on and growth are the three things we always try to convey through music. Positive energy and vibes!

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

I would say that different artists influence the music in very different ways. Gunship, HVOB and LCD Soundsystem certainly help shape the electronic pallette and grooves but David Bowie and Pink Floyd have really helped with the structures and hooks.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

I listen to a lot of music, I'll go out of my way to check out other artists. Searching the internet, taking recommendations from friends, I'll just give anything a try. Internet radio and YouTube are great places to find new music as well.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

We're from Leeds in the north of England and there's a grittyness up north. I think this dark, industrial northern thing comes through in the sound but I might be making that up.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

The name came really easy to be honest, it was a nod to people not always wearing their true feelings for all to see, thankfully we talk about mental health nowadays a lot more and beneath the surface people can be really struggling. The name just fitted and it sounded great!

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Escape from New York remake that will definitely happen within the next 10 years. That movie has a wonderful tone to it and so much atmosphere, I would love to go back and sit in with Carpenter scoring that thing.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?). You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

If I was writing about one song I would have to say One More Time by Daft Punk. The opening sample, that bass line, this track came out 20 years ago this month and sounds as fresh as anything, put this on and which ever room you're in people will enjoy it, metal heads to synth nerds and everyone in between.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?


 

I once met Barry Chuckle in Scarborough, not sure that counts.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans? 

 

With the pandemic stuff stopping all live shows for now we’ve kind of put that idea on ice. We do have live shows planned, we even have the setup and how it’s all going to work mapped out but as things are our energy is best spent elsewhere.

 

What makes a great song?

 

A great hook, something that you can move to and a sound that gives it emotion. This can be an instrument on the track, the vocal melody or anything else.

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

Christ, the first song I remember writing was called Tangle Me I think with the first band I started after picking up the guitar. It was bad but still had the things I was able to do in there at the time. Some nice guitar work and heaps of emotion.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

Our latest single Skin ft. Fran Minney is out now and available in all the usual places. I encourage people everywhere to go have a listen to see how Fran encapsulates these feelings we've kind of all probably experienced with all this pandemic. We're super proud of this track and can't wait for people to hear it.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

LCD Soundsystem would be up there, great song writing, thought provoking, great guitar pieces, epic synthesizer sounds, it really is the whole package.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

I'm digital all the way now, I used to buy literally everything on CD and then lost the cases with them all in one night after DJ'ing. Couldn't do that again.

 

Whiskey or beer? And defend your choice.

 

Beer, definitely beer but not shitty lager, I mean proper craft beer. Anything by Vocation Brewery or Lervig brewery. Strong, fruit packed, dank IPA's always

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Crash records in Leeds town centre, this place is amazing, go check it out.

 

What's next for the band? 

 

Honestly It'd just be nice to get our music out there for people to hear and maybe grow the following to allow us to release even more music and collaborations.  Along with that we want a killer live show and hopefully be able to pick up some festivals when they're back to full strength.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Go find our latest single Skin on YouTube ft. Fran Minney. She did an amazing job with the video. Cya!


Comments