A Ripple Conversation With Tommy Stewart of Negative Wall



When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

Two in particular came straight to mind, hearing The Beatles at a showing of the movie "Help!" when I was 7. Disney records became silly, quick. And then hearing Deep Purple 'Smoke on the Water' on a 7"single I bought randomly when I was 12. This led to a love for blues styled rock and that turned into metal eventually.

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

I write different ways. But mainly keep an ongoing book of poetry that is easily turned into song lyrics. I sit around playing my bass looking forn riffs or they just fall in my head. Then I try to match them up with a lyric. On a few occasions, it simply fell in my lap immediately and together. Horrorshow by Hallows Eve, and Shadow in the Well, a single from Tommy Stewart's Dyerwulf were immediate. I wrote and recorded the bass and drum tracks live in one take the song Lilith Crimson Deep from the self titled 'Tommy Stewart's Dyerwulf in 30 minutes in my studio. Those were gifts. Negative Wall came easy too, but more thought in arrangement.

Who has influenced you the most?

Black Sabbath, hands down.

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Sometimes film soundtracks or modern classical for music. For lyrics, whatever is happening to me.

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

One thing is that it's usually hot and way humid where I live in Atlanta GA! And, no, I didn't get used to it even though this is my home for life. I truly think that's why there is so much sludge metal here and why even the other forms of metal or rock here are mostly medium paced. Think mastodon, Hallows Eve, Baroness. Dammit, we're hot and tired. We can go fast a little while, but then we need some porch n mint julep time or a nap. It's an amusing thought, but that's my theory.

Where'd the band name come from?

Negative Wall all came from Georgia, USA

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

My own story probably.  I haven't thought about that, maybe I'll have to write one so I can put music to it. I would say if it's fantasy, it would probably take place in space. Now you've done it. It's going to happen.

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a

1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why? I could do that for several songs I've written. I may do a psych evaluation for the song Hybrid Genus Serpentis by Negative Wall because I had no idea I was that weird. All my songs till that had been about real things that happened to me. The first time I wrote fantasy startled me about myself. Otherwise I might write about Pink Floyd, "Atom Heart Mother". I could write 1000 words about that one.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

Toronto 1987, we really could not figure out the way to the stage from under a theater. I don't know when the movie came out, but when I finally saw it, I laughed.

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

The best experience is when they sing the words to your songs back to you. I get flooded with the memory of humbly writing lyrics on a brown paper bag or back of a receipt and then the experience of sharing it with the band, rehearsing it, releasing it, and then an audience sang it back to me! It's so humbling that anyone gave a shit that I had a little moment emotional enough to scratch something down one day while walking down a street.

What makes a great song?

For me it's when I truly write exactly what I feel. When listening to others, it's when I have an emotionally connected experience with that song, as if it's part of the soundtrack of my life.

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

It was called "I Hate Everything". It was literally a list of everything I hate. It didn't rhyme or anything, it was just a straight list.

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Lately, "Hybrid Genus Serpentis" by Negative Wall. Because I like the music, the arrangement, the lyrics, I produced it and it came out exactly how we wanted.

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

Oceans of Slumber is my favorite band for 2018. Everything is perfect in the album 'Winter' is why.

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

Vinyl is the best format because you get a big peice of art to look at and it's the way it ought to be. CD's are handly, I guess, I like digital for carrying into the car. But vinyl rules and should be supported the ost.

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

Sometimes together! Bombs away! Regularly beer. I like bubbles, number one. Then why not coke? Too sweet and syrupy. I like all the flavors and choices. I mainly drink brown and darker beers. I do like some of the fruity ones, not many. I do not like sour and hoopy beers.

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

Wax n Fax in Little Five Points for variety and interesting stuff. But I would take the hour n half drive over to Athens and go to Shadebeast Music for record store full of metal. That's really the one!

What's next for the band?

Negative Wall's release date for the sci-fi themed 'Gammagelu' is February 8, 2019, but the pre-sale is on now at Black Doomba Records bandcamp. https://negativewall.bandcamp.com/ You will get extra goodies if you order during pre-sale. Touring may happen in Fall 2019

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

Thank you in advance if you take the time to check out Negative Wall.

Comments