A Ripple Conversation With The Members Of Kitsa

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Jeremy: The one that stands out the most to me is winning the 8th grade Talent Show, performing Duran Duran's "Hold Back The Rain". We won 1st place, and since that day, I have been chasing the dream.

 

Chris: I think, for me, it was when first started to see the roadmap of a guitar fretboard. That was at about 10 years old for me. This was the moment I think I became an actual guitar player. Another moment is when I knew what I wanted my tone to sound like - sonically. Heavy and gritty.

 

Skot: Me, as a bass player, Butch Haslip was explaining modes and scales, then I was paying a gig, and my fretboard exploded and felt 10 miles wide. Patterns everywhere.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Jeremy: We work together as a group on almost everything. The riff usually comes first. Chris Pound whips up some axe-grinding mayhem. Then we build bridges and the chorus. Then it's on to Rando on the drums, which can change the feel of the song. We eventually will work out the structure together. Skot Davis will then bring his lyrical ideas. Then, as a group, we may revise the entire song together.

 

Chris: Typically, for us it is a riff or two. Maybe a verse/chorus and I try to put it out to everyone. But usually after that it starts with me throwing my ideas at Jeremy and we sort of structure the song. Then we move to playing it as a band and Skot and Rando put their spin on it. It’s really a team thing, though.

 

Skot: For me, it's basically the same thing; even if I have written lyrics, I don't know what it's like until the riff comes out. It's like baking a cake, riff first, then the rest falls into place.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Jeremy: Tony Reed has influenced me the most in the last 30 years, not only as a colleague but also as a friend. I admire his dedication to music and the hard work that he has put in, and I love all of the music that he's been involved in.

 

Chris: That is a tough question. There are so many bands or guitar players who are constantly inspiring me. Zakk Wylde, Mark Tremonti, EVH - when it comes to playing guitar. Early on in my musical endeavors, I was very inspired by blues music. I love bluegrass.

 

Skot: For singing, if it wasn't for Mikey Haslip, I wouldn't be singing. My parents sang as well; listening to them had a major impact on me.


Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

Jeremy: I believe we look to each other and share our ideas as a group. We often find inspiration in the stories that we share with each other, and we find motivation from bands that we enjoy listening to.

 

Chris: A lot of my favorite artists still put out records. I constantly find new bands through social media and podcasts, though. There are a lot of amazing people putting out stuff in their podcasts that put it on my radar.

 

Skot: For me, everyday life. Going to work pisses me off, so I write lyrics about it!

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

Jeremy: We live in a Navy town based in the Puget Sound, close to Seattle and Tacoma. It's very middle-class; quiet, with beautiful views and landscapes. It's nestled in the shadows of the Olympic Mountains with lots of rain, so I guess you could say that we look at a lot of war machines on the regular.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

Jeremy: Honestly, it was a typo. However, I liked the way that it looked on paper, so I sent it to Rob Lorenz, who is an artist and my dear friend of 30 years. He worked on a design with the name, and he really made it pop. It is also a town in Russia and has other meanings.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Jeremy: For me, it would be a Rob Zombie film; I'm a huge fan of horror.

 

Chris: Growing up, I loved the first Back to the Future movie, especially that part where Marty jams on Johnny B Good. If they ever remake that movie, I want to do the soundtrack.

 

Skot: The Matrix, all four of them. It could be lucrative and imagine the possibilities of what you could write about.

 

Randy: Anything that Samuel L. Jackson is in.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?


Jeremy: Dead by Dawn. I think Dead by Dawn is a culmination of things. It's the first song that we came up with as a band. Personally, I didn't care for it in the beginning as we were building the song. As the song took shape, it really started to grow on me and gave me insight into Kitsa's ability to work as one unit.

 

Skot: Make Me Wanna Holla by Marvin Gaye. I could easily come up with a thousand words about that tune.

 

Chris: Burden in My Hand by Soundgarden. I love Chris Cornell, and his lyrics fascinate me. I often sit and read his lyrics and try to decipher what he is talking about. That is one of my favorite songs because I can't decide if he is talking about killing someone he loves or if it's the love for himself he is trying to kill. I could write about that.

 

Randy: The Gunners Dream by Pink Floyd. It's just a very deep song, and you can go so many directions with it—so many feelings.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Jeremy: In 1992, I was in a band called Flacid. We had a local party house that was called "The V Francisco House."  We had several parties there that we called a "Red Hot Chilli Peppers Sock Party." Flacid would play these parties wearing nothing but a sock on our doinks. One time, after one of these sock parties, I ended up doing a beer run at the local grocery store wearing nothing but fishnet stockings. I ended up playing in the ball bin, kicking kid's plastic bouncy balls all over the store. I was removed immediately.

 

Randy: I thought it was cool to use my floor tom as a rack tom. Just super huge.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Jeremy: Playing live is the ultimate experience for me. I enjoy the high energy, the live sound, and the fans' reactions.

 

Chris: I just try to go as hard as I can. We love to play live, and we pride ourselves on that. I try to walk around and engage with everyone in the audience that close to the stage, and I try to engage with the band, too. I think people dig that.

 

Skot: Ditto!

 

What makes a great song?

 

Jeremy: I think putting emotion and thought into a song with powerful musical movements and ripping leads is what makes a great song.

 

Skot: For me, it's when we are first working out songs and everyone is nodding their heads and getting excited. That's how I know it is going to be a good song.

 

Chris: I think it's gotta blend somewhere between heavy riffs and catchy hooks. I like dynamics

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?


Jeremy: The first song I ever wrote by myself was in 1989. I was an angry teenager who was pissed off at my dad; the song was called "Hey Dad." It was about him putting his time, love, and attention elsewhere when I needed him.

 

Chris: The actual first song I wrote was about being broken-hearted. A young man going through his first time with that battle. Emotions were different then.

 

Skot: Mine was called Sane Side Down, and hopefully we can just get away with leaving that as it is.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

Jeremy: On Dead By Dawn, I'm particularly proud of "Koi" and "Hate". We worked really hard together as a band, sharing many ideas, and we reached these pieces of music together. These two songs work very well together.

 

Chris: Definitely our debut album. Just the process alone of how we became a band and how quickly we put the whole thing together. I am proud of the response it has gotten for how hard we worked to quickly establish ourselves.

 

Skot: I second that.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Jeremy: Elder. They are a hard-working band, they continually work hard, and they continually get better. I think they are unique in that their sound has not significantly changed since I started listening to Lore in 2015, yet they also grow in depth and complexity.

 

Skot: The Mos Generator. They are still just coming at you.

 

Chris: I would have to say that I am partial to Alter Bridge. They have been around now for quite a while, and they always have great songs that I can't put down,

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Jeremy: Definitely vinyl. I am a collector; I enjoy the warm tones of vinyl and also the artwork.

 

Chris: I do love vinyl and my collection keeps growing. It is what I prefer but I also have to say that digital is a close second.

 

Skot: Vinyl on a good stereo sounds so great.

  

Randy: Definitely vinyl.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Jeremy: Beer. Whiskey is way too quick.

 

Chris: Whiskey, Kentucky Straight Bourbon. I also agree that it's too quick, so it's a rarity for me. It is far and away the best, though.

 

Skot: Whiskey! That doesn't even need defending.

  

Randy: For sure, whiskey.


We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Jeremy: Port Orchard, Washington. Vinyl Injection is our local record store. Jerry, the store owner, is a great guy, a fellow musician, and a supporter of our local music scene.

 

Chris: I agree with J-bo! Vinyl Injection in our hometown of Port Orchard, WA!

 

What's next for the band?

 

Jeremy: Kitsa is working on getting signed and touring. We hope to tour the US and abroad. We are currently working on our second album.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Jeremy: You can stream Kista's album Dead by Dawn on Bandcamp, Spotify, Apple Music, or other streaming services.

 

Chris: Thanks to everyone who has shared or listened to our record, Dead by Dawn. We appreciate it.

 

Skot: Without music, my life would be pointless.

Comments