A Ripple Conversation With Justin Erb Of Lost Psychonaut

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Thank you for the questions Todd!!   I've had a few very clear musical epiphanies in my life. The first one i can remember was when I was probably 4 years old and my big brother was cranking Panama by Van Halen. I was born in 81 so this was right around when this sucker came out. He actually has me on tape singing the chorus!! He had one of those little tape recorders that were the shit back in the day. The next one was when my brother was jamming Queensryche's Rage for Order in his Camaro. I was 12 and nothing hit me like that album. That's all I listened to for the next couple of years. Geoff Tate's voice just amazed me. Not to mention the beauty, edge, and melody of the music. Everything I listened to for years after was measured up against that record. The next moment was when Down's second record came out in 2002. That album changed my life. Before that came out I was heavily into progressive rock and metal music. I played bass in a band called Empire. We were total Maiden and Ryche heads and our music reflected that. I always loved Sabbath and COC but something about that record inspired me to pick up the guitar and really go for that bluesy riff rock vibe.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

The song writing process for me begins with the riff. Every time I pick up a guitar I write a riff. Sometimes they suck. Sometimes they rule! When they rule I try to build the rest of the song around it. The lyrics and vocal melody comes from the vibe of the music. I think its important to match the music with lyrics that people can feel but come up with their own interpretation of. 

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

I think my biggest influence has got to be my big brother Paul. He has played in bands since I can remember. Being 9 years younger than him, I was always the little kid hanging out at band practice. While burning my G.I. Joe's during his jam sessions, I got a first hand education in how a band works. How you put a song together. The balance between bro-ing down and getting shit done.  I also saw how happy all the guys were hanging out and creating music. It made me want to do that. 

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?


I tend to look backwards for musical inspiration. The old school 70's bands blow me away. I love the conceptual records of the past. I've been on that trip recently. I'm motivated by all of those awesome records. I want to leave a few of those for people to discover. I always say I want my daughter to think her daddy made some cool music while he was around. 

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

We are from Connellsville, Pennsylvania. It is a little town an hour south of Pittsburgh and about 30 minutes north west of  Morgantown, West Virginia. We are in the grip of a heroin scourge. The darkness you feel when you see people around town that look like a scary shadow of themselves, it creeps into the music and lyrics. I have a lot of empathy for those caught up in that cycle. 

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

The band name is kind of based on the Lost Cosmonauts conspiracy theory. The idea that the Russians had a crew of Cosmonauts that went to space, disappeared, and were never acknowledged by the government.  I thought about what a Lost Psychonaut would be. A person suffering from internal conflict attempts to find themselves thru mind altering chemicals, but continues to be lost. Maybe willingly lost. I don't know tho, I think it sounds pretty cool!!

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

I would write the soundtrack for Lethal Weapon. Just because of all those cool blues licks between the Murtaugh and Riggs "sensitive" banter.  Or maybe even the Schwarzenegger move Commando. Those steel drum parts rule. I would throw a few sabbath riffs in the background. 

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?


The song I would write a 1000 word essay about would be Rush's Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres. I think it was their masterpiece. They are one of the most legendary bands of all time and that song signifies the perfection of what they are known for. The complex song structures and beautifully crafted melodies. The last of the Side A songs. I think you might need more than 1000 words to sum up that piece of art.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

My most Spinal Tap moment occurred when I sang in the Pittsburgh sludge band Vulture. We were playing at one of the first Blackout Cookout shows in Kent, Ohio. Before the time of smart phones, for me anyway, I had one of those GPS Garmin devices. I typed in the address for the show we had just outside of Cleveland the week AFTER the BOCO show in Kent. Therefore I drove the whole way to Cleveland before realizing I was at the wrong venue. I don't know what I was thinking!! That put me about 3 or 4 hours BEHIND schedule. I realized my mistake and smoked it down the highway. Right as I pulled up to the exit my GPS device went haywire!  I had to make an important decision. Right or left??  I chose right and made it just as the band finished soundcheck. I was shaking like a leaf. I felt absolutely horrible. The typical lead singer, showing up minutes before show time. I grabbed a few stage beers and tore it up!!! 

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Playing live is where it's at for me. The eyeball to eyeball connection with your fans and friends in the crowd. There is nothing in the world like riding a riff! When the whole band is swinging in unison and the crowd is bobbing their heads along with the groove, you feel unstoppable. Like you could take over a small country!! I've been addicted to that rush since my first gig at 15 years old!!

 

What makes a great song?

 

A great song is a song that sticks in your mind and connects with you on a personal and emotional level. You crave a great song like a good meal or a cold beer. 

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

The first song I ever wrote is actually on Lost Psychonaut's debut. It's called "My Time". I wrote the music and lyrics back in 2004. I've demoed it several times but never officially released it until 2019.  

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I'm very proud of a song on our debut album called "Restitution Day". The chorus riff is just THE most crushing and catchy things I've ever put together. I put a lot of work into the vocals and lyrics for that entire record, but this song is special. The lyrics are extremely personal. It is me telling my lady that no matter what hardships we endure in life, it is worth it because of the birth of our daughter, Laini Lu. Her birthday is our Restitution Day. Laini's heartbeat can be heard at the very end of the album. It is from our first ultrasound. I am really proud to have that existing in the ether for all time!!


Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Right now I am really into the new Icarus Witch album "No Devil Lived On" I grew up with their guitarist Quinn and have seen the band grow into an absolute beast. The music is very interesting and different from song to song. Quinn's solos are catchy and technically impressive but not flashy for the sake of being flashy. Andrew's voice is just really beautiful and rough in the right spots. The drums and bass are locked in very well with each other. Their new record belongs right next to any new Queensryche, Fates Warning, or Iron Maiden album! 

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Vinyl is definitely my format of choice. Nothing else compares. The artwork and the sound rules. One thing about vinyl is that typically, you are forced to take good care of it. CDs always seem to get scratched up, being left lying around or falling out of those big ass carrying cases. Digital files can be lost. Vinyl pretty much remains. It is an heirloom too. How many stories have you heard of people passing down their record collection? 

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Whiskey or Beer?? haha well that question is a little tough for me! In my younger days I would say whiskey all day long. Double shot of Jack on the rocks was my drink. Now tho I prefer to drink some shitty Coors Light or Iron City when we have our jam sessions. A few beers and I'm right where I want to be!!

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

The closest record store to me is a place called Eide's Entertainment in Pittsburgh. They have a ton of cool stuff. Not just records but rare books and dvds. I have dropped a lot of cash at that place!!!

 

What's next for the band?


Lost Psychonaut is now focused on playing shows and preparing for our new album "Violent Outbursts and False Accusations" to drop in May. We also have a 7" single available thru Ripple Music called "Never Lost". It also contains the B side "Albatross" a Corrosion of Conformity classic that we decided to record as a tribute to one of our favorite bands and one of my favorite songwriters Pepper Keenan. 

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Thank you for the interview! I really appreciate the support! Go check us out at lostpsychonaut.bandcamp.com 

Comments