A Fistful Of Questions With Chloe Gould From WyndRider


     Fiddler.  “Ol Lady.”  Asian food enthusiast.  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to WyndRider vocalist Chloe Gould.  

 

What is your full name?

 

Chloe Gould

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

No

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

My fiance/our guitar player calls me “Ol Lady” and my family occasionally calls me “Booger”. Maybe also “that bitch” depending on who you’re speaking to..

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

I am the vocalist for WyndRider

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

I actually played fiddle when I was young, but singing came first and has always been my main interest

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

My family has always been pretty musical. My grandpa was a fiddle, banjo, and guitar instructor, as is one of my uncles. I have countless memories from my early childhood of when my family would gather together and play music on the porch of my grandparents house.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?


WyndRider ! My current band is my first.

 

Tell me about the genesis of WyndRider. 

 

Robbie Willis (guitar) is really the reason our band came about. About two years ago he broke his arm in a work accident and had a wakeup call regarding his passion for music and the type he wanted to be pursuing. He convinced me that I would be the vocalist in his doom project and I didn't really believe him until it all of a sudden was happening. Joshuah Herald (bass) was the first person we called on to join the band and the chemistry was really pretty instantaneous. He and our original drummer, Richard Bucher, were people Robbie had known for a long time and it all came together very easily. We played our first show in March of 2022 and released our debut album on our 1 year anniversary, March 31, 2023. Shortly after, Richard stepped down due to scheduling conflicts with our shows and his work. Josh Brock (drums) joined the band in May of this year and has been with us ever since. Funny enough, we had originally asked Brock to be our drummer but it wasn't right for him at the time. It’s cool how things have sort of come full circle. 

 

What inspired the name WyndRider?

 

Would you believe it was the movie Edward Scissorhands?

 

How long did it take you to write and record your self-titled debut full-length?

 

It took almost a year from the time we started practicing in 2021 to write 8 songs and get them in the studio in September of 2022.

Recording took about a week, thanks to Danielle Fehr of The Wizard Productions. We went on to spend the next several months planning a really detailed release with Desert Bloom PR, publishing single tracks here and there until our official release date in March of this year.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

I would love to have been a part of Black Sabbath. Specifically, I'd like to just be Ozzy Osborne. He is one of the best frontmen in rock n’ roll that has ever existed in my book. And, our band wouldn’t even be a concept if it weren’t for Black Sabbath’s music.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

I’d have to go with Highway to Hell by AC/DC. Overplayed or not, that song completely slaps.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

For our band, non-metal inspirations really play a big role in our style; anything from Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams to Rick James and KC and the Sunshine Band.


What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

I have always wanted to do Superstition by Stevie Wonder, but with a real slow, heavy doom spin.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Buzzhound. They are a band from Kentucky that we play with often. I have never been completely slapped upside the head with music and stage presence as I am when I’m watching one of their sets.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Our favorite venue will always be our home base in East Tennessee, The Hideaway.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

I don’t really. Pre-show is often a pretty chaotic time with social media posts, setting up merch at the show, and lots of socializing. I do drink ginger honey tea before and after we play though, because I think it helps my voice.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Touring is my favorite part about being in this band in general. I absolutely love getting to see new places I have never been before, staying in weird hotels, and seeing how many crazy foods I can eat for dinner at gas stations along the route.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Being in a van or hotel with three stinky jerks! Just kidding, but we do get on each others nerves after spending enough time together in close quarters. Nothing we can’t handle though.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

We love to hit Lexington, KY as often as we can. Our shows there are always fun and we have made a lot of friends out that way.


What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Our weirdest experience to date was probably making a pit stop at the abandoned Molly Stark Sanitarium in Louisville, OH. Talk about the most creepy and beautiful place I have ever explored. 

 

The year is 2010.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

Honestly, I was listening to a lot of the same classics that I listen to now. David Bowie, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Queen, to name a few.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

This is hard work. Just remember that every show, every song, every person you talk to, and everything you create pays off and builds into something bigger and more beautiful, even if it takes time.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Arrogant people. Whether it’s an arrogant bandmate that would be insanely hard to deal with, or meeting arrogant people in a band you love and it completely ruins your interest.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Yes. And we kept it! It’s okay for us to have different opinions on our music. We are all really different people. I’m proud of our songs/recordings, even if one isn’t completely my favorite.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

I’d call it Weedwacker. And I’d have Sleep, Acid King, and Electric Wizard on the bill.


What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Probably about a week if I get really busy.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

Actually, the fact that this is the first and only band I have been in catches a lot of people by surprise. I spent a lot of my younger life being involved in choir and theater and always knew I loved to perform, but never thought it would be like this. And now I can’t believe I never tried sooner.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Absolutely!

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Probably, or else their horn might end up stuck in the ground.

 

Give me three albums that I should listen to immediately, if not sooner.

 

Valley of the Snake by Ruby the Hatchet

Born Under a Mad Sign by Church of Misery

And

Season of the Witch by Season of the Witch

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Cosmo’s Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

Where the Road Takes You: A Series of Questionable Life Decisions and Hilarious Human Encounters


What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

I have never chosen to listen to Taylor Swift, so probably that one about high heels and short skirts that came on the radio far too much.

 

High On Fire or SLEEP (if you had to choose)?

 

Sleep, for sure.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies all the way, though my bandmates might beg to differ.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes, unless it’s the chocolate chip waffles at Waffle House.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

A pentagram shirt from their 2022 Tour

 

Favorite meal?

 

Any type of Asian food whatsoever, especially with sushi

 

Favorite book?

 

A Separate Reality by Carlos Castaneda

 

Favorite movie?

 

That’s a tie between Fight Club and The Tourist (with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp).

 

Favorite album?

 

Paranoid by Black Sabbath

 

Favorite video game?


Crazy Taxi for Gamecube - I have obviously not played video games in a long time…

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

The Undertaker

 

 

     Massive thank you to Chloe for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate you doing so.  The rest of you should use the link so generously provided below and wrap your ears around WynderRider’s debut full-length.  It’s an exceptional listen, and I’d expect to see this one on a lot of those end of year lists. 

 

~El Pedo Caliente

 

https://wyndrider.bandcamp.com/album/wyndrider

Comments