A Fistful Of Questions With Digby Robinson Of Big Red Fire Truck

     Vocalist.  Guitarist.  Hair Metal enthusiast!?  This edition for Fistful of Questions goes to Big Red Fire Truck frontman Digby Robinson. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Digby Robinson

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Big Red Fire Truck

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Big Red Fire Truck

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Piano

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Getting these weird rhythm and music lessons from a local music teacher in this small community hall at a very young age, maybe about 3 or 4. Lots of reading sentences to a beat and running around the room to music

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

 Outbreak

 

Tell me about the genesis of Big Red FireTruck.

 

 I fell in love with the hard rock genre at about 16 listening to all I could from the late 70s and 80s. From that point I always wanted to be in a band that played that kind of music. Took about 14 years to realize if I wanted it to happen I'd have to do it myself and by this stage my voice had gotten to a point where I could sing the way I wanted the front man to sing. Truth be told I'd have been happy just doing bvs and being the guitarist. But singers are hard to come by. BRFT embrace that fun and energy of those hard rock times mixed with a bit of video game soundtrack inspiration.


What inspired the name Big Red Fire Truck?

 

While trying to come up with a band name my drummer insisted we call it Big Red Fire Truck cos he thought it was a hilarious nickname for me. It's the best option We had at the time and it seems to have stuck.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Trouble in Paradise?

 

2 years. I started writing it in Venice USA when I had some time off on tour with electronic artist Hayden James as his guitarist. I had a riff in my head and I just started writing what I saw as I looked around, noting that Venice in the movies and TV was sold to us over in Australia very differently. It then took 2 years to discover the chorus. I had about 5 drafts that I just knew weren't hitting right. The opening riff is inspired by a few different video games and the title itself came from a scene in The Last Of Us game.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

I'd love to perform with The Darkness for a night. I was actually lucky enough to sing with them at soundcheck last year at their Melbourne show. Justin is just such a great performer, player and singer, would be amazing to share the stage with him.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Ain't talkin bout love- Van halen. All time favourite…..that or Layla by Derek and the Dominos

 

Do you have any non-rock musical inspirations?

 

Oh heaps, I listen to alot of different music. Here are a handful

Prince, Bruno Mars, video game soundtracks incl the Mega Man series and other Nintendo series from the 80s, I also like alot of soul and rnb too.

 

What’s a pop song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

Crazy by Britney Spears or an Aussie classic Chains by Tina Arena

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Reckless Love. Great use of track to cover the production elements, flawless musicianship and you can tell they have a huge amount of fun on stage. Highly recommend checking them out

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Electric Ballroom in London and the Enmore Theatre in Sydney. Amazing medium sized rooms where you can see the whole crowd and it feels intimate on a large scale. Very rare to have that feeling


Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

I never really used to but now I have to do alot of stretching so I don't damage my knees. There's a lot of jumping and dancing in our live shows. A few drinks to loosen that tongue too

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Meeting new people and getting to play your songs every night to people you'd otherwise probably never see. Also I quite enjoy the bus travel as we watch movies that we love that other band members haven't seen before. It's alot of fun

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Early mornings very early mornings. Makes going out after shows less appealing and you always want an excuse to go out after the show.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Amsterdam. Not for the reasons people might think either. I actually love the relaxed nature of everything there. You can go for a stroll and find some great bars/restaurants and they've got a couple of amazing vinyl stores too. It just has a lively atmosphere about it.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

One of our airbnbs has really bad plumbing. The bedroom above me started leaking water while one of the guys was having a shower. Thankfully I was in my room at the time, otherwise who knows what might of happened. That wasn't even the worst part, as the sewage plumbing had a leak inside another band member's windows. It stunk his room up really bad. We had to move from that one quick smart.

 

The year is 2010.  Where are you at and what are you listening to?

 

I'm working at a music store in Manly that is currently transitioning from the largest independent seller of CDs to the largest independent instrument store. What a time. Listening to alot of clapton mayer and Hendrix. I was also re discovering my love for Warrant

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

If you want something done you've got to do it yourself. Or find fellow musicians who want to do it as badly as you. Learn graphic design and video editing. Those two skills will save you A LOT of money.


What is an absolute killer band?

 

Van Halen are the best example. Great pop songs that appeal to their specific genre and cross over to the mainstream. A band that has as much if not more fun than its audience during a show. Great musicianship and champions of their own sound.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

No, I think everyone has to vibe a song otherwise what's the point. If you don't love the music you're recording then you're either in the wrong band or the wrong business

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Hot Summer Nights

 

Current bands lineup- Reckless Love, The Darkness, Crazy Lixx

 

In Their Prime - Van Halen, Warrant, Pink Floyd

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Not long. A couple of days? Probably not even that, I love a good shower

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I'm a NZ citizen

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

I don't actually listen to many podcasts, I listen to one actually and it's a movie podcast. So I'll definitely be adding it to the list, it just made my top 2

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

They don't sleep at all. They don't need to

 

Give me three albums that I should listen to immediately, if not sooner.

 

Van Halen 1, Warrant Dog Eat Dog, The Darkness Last Of Our Kind

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. Start to finish that thing flows beautifully. Shine on you crazy diamond 1-7 is a masterpiece

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

I can't be the only one

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

Trouble or 22

 

Van Halen or Aerosmith (if you had to choose)?

 

Van Halen no question

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies. Do people ever choose Doobies?

 

(Interviewer’s note… Yes.  They do.)


Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Van Halen 1978 world tour vintage tee

 

Favorite meal?

 

Any chicken dish. But fried chicken with mash and veggies if I had to choose

 

Favorite book?

 

Eric Clapton Biography

Or

LOTR The Two Towers

 

Favorite movie?

 

Die Hard. Watched it every Christmas since 2005

 

Favorite album?

 

Van Halen 1 or Thriller MJ

 

Favorite video game?

 

Castlevania on the NES.  Has an amazing soundtrack too

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Macho Man ooooh yeah

 

      Big thanks to Digby for taking the time to answer my queries.  I appreciate you.  The link so generously provided below will take you to Big Red Fire Truck’s latest single Love Bite.  Prepare yourself for some straight up guitar heavy rock n’ roll tunes.  If you were alive in the 80’s and early 90’s, these tunes will feel like a flashback.  Big Red Fire Truck’s new album Trouble in Paradise will be available for your listening pleasure on August 4th. 

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://open.spotify.com/album/3S2HrrRNsZmjsjKKAhaY74?si=Qu_xdxwqQVeHNATzmiaDRQ

Comments