HÅNDGEMENG - “Ultraritual” - (Ripple, 2023, Drøbak, Viken, Norway) -

Ok, so I’m excited to post this review for a couple reasons. First off, it was fun to be able to type the letter “Å” on my iPhone. I know, I know I get to do the BÖC umlaut a lot but I was hungry for new frontiers…so sue me. The second reason this review has me hoppin’ is that it’s proof once again that Todd & the Ripple crew have their shit together. As we’ve come to know, the heavy rock field has its fair share of boring sound-a-likes. More like a goodly percentage than a fair share. Mr. Severin knows how to cherry-pick bands that transcend the typical and has done it once again with Norway’s HÅNDGEMENG.

 

HÅNDGEMENG are a quartet who got together in 2017 and proceeded to issue 2 EP’s.  Now, I may not be a brain surgeon (or an eye surgeon, eh Todd). I do know, however, that when a band has an EP entitled “Motorcycle Death Cult,” I should probably look into their debut album the minute it hits the streets. “Ultraritual” has hit the streets on the Ripple imprint and its hit them hard.

 

Simply put, “Ultraritual” is heavy as fuck. But there’s a little more to it than that. On this punishing long player, HÅNDGEMENG come atcha like a rabid cross of Sabbath, The Amebix & even a little Hawkwind. The former influence is not a surprise but even still, the Iommian tones are presented in a way that’s raw & excitingly immediate. It’s not just Charlie Ytterli’s low-tuned riffing but the plundering Geezer-by-way-of-Lemmy bass at the hands of Filip Weinberg that rattles your bones. Seriously, if there are any fillings left in your teeth after “Tales From The Tundra,” you’ve got a damn good dentist.

 

One of the things that really makes this band stand out in living color are Martin Wennberg’s vocals. Here’s where I’m reminded of The Amebix. Wennberg’s throat-lashing agony makes me think fondly of that band’s ‘85 “Arise” album and The Baron’s own gnarling growls. It must be said that the idea of hardcore punk vocals in doom-laden music is new to me and my interest in aggressive singing has waned over the years. Still, I find myself really liking Martin’s work here a lot. His style, delivering songs with an obvious sci-fi bent (“Rite Of The Comet” & “Occultation Of Mars”) sit very well.

 

Yes, the songs themselves are the most important thing, and that’s where the uniqueness steps up. I mentioned Hawkwind as it was the first thing I thought of with the trippy, looping guitar pattern in opener “The Astronomer.” Other places throughout the length of the album feature that driving, bass-propelled voyaging & experimental vibe. But it’s not just that. Listen to the part in the 9+ minute “Occultation…” where suddenly Ytterli slams into a guitar riff that brings to mind Slayer’s “Post Mortem.” It’s this kind of versatility that once again, makes “Ultraritual” stand out & and HÅNDGEMENG another great Ripple signing. Well done!

 

-Ray Dorsey

HÅNDGEMENG:

 

Filip Wennberg - bass

Ola Holseth - drums

Charlie Ytterli - guitars

Martin Wennberg - vocals

 

www.ripple-music.com

 

Comments