A Fistful Of Questions With Steve And Derrick Of Dawn Of Existence

     Texans.  Two-piece.  Multi-instrumentalists.  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Steve and Derrick of Dawn of Existence. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Steve Fernandez

Derrick Rutledge

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Votan

Astor

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

 Dawn of Existence

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

  (Votan)   As a small child I had an acoustic guitar that was more of a toy that I think was actually bought from a music store at the mall. I was too young for it to be more than a toy but I got to strum on it and mess around with it nonetheless, so maybe that was good for me.

    

As far as actually practicing and playing, bass guitar would be the first serious instrument I started playing in 1995.

 

 (Astor)    The first instrument I played was my grandmother’s piano. I had no idea what I was doing, I was really just hitting keys. It didn’t matter though because it was never in tune and probably remains that way to this day at my aunt’s house.

    

As for actually picking up an instrument with the intent of learning, I chose to play bass around 1994 or ‘95 because the neighborhood band had about 4 guitar players already.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

 (Votan)    I specifically remember playing with the acoustic guitar I mentioned in front of the TV. MTV was on and one of Guns n Roses’ music videos was on. This was back in the late 80’s early 90’s so I was of course pretending to be Slash. I also remember just seeing music videos on the TV as a kid before I was even in school. The video and song that Prince did for the 1989 Batman movie is oddly one of my first musical memories as well.

 

  (Astor)   I was into music very early in my life and can still remember learning nursery rhymes and songs for the days of the week and months and everything else. I got to experience my first concert in 1991, with the ever so popular New Kids on the Block.

    

I still have a photo of me holding a toy guitar when I was 4 or 5.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

The first band I was in was my middle school jazz band I suppose. We had a drummer, guitar player, piano, horns and would play shows and stuff.

    

Then later in high school and college years, I was in a band called Deimos.

 

Just as Votan stated, I suppose the first real band I was in would have been middle school jazz band. It was the first time following a drummer and learning playing music meant something.

    

Later we would go on to form Deimos around 1999 or 2000.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Dawn of Existence. 

 

(Votan)     We formed Dawn of Existence in December 2017, however our history goes back to when we were kids. The two of us grew up playing music together since elementary school days and we both played bass in our middle school’s band. In high school and early 20’s we were in some other bands together. Then in 2017 we decided to start Dawn of Existence, spring boarding off of some riffs and ideas we already had.

 

(Astor)     I’ll add that we were both playing in a band that I had left sometime around 2015. After that I just spent time writing riffs and recording terrible metal demos.

   

After talking one night it turned out Votan also had a huge collection of demos and we decided to start sharing them to each other. That’s when we decided to write and record an album.

 

What inspired the name Dawn of Existence?


(Votan)     The words ‘dawn of existence’ come from a piece of lyric from Borknagar’s song ‘Invincible’ off the album Quintessence from 2000. I love this era of metal that was coming out of Europe during that time. The energy of how the vocals are performed and that line in particular just kind of sum up the kind of energy that I love about metal. 

 

 (Astor)    We had already had a few songs written and new demos recorded when Votan suggested the name “Dawn of Existence”. It honestly fit perfectly with the concept we were going for.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Ancient Arts?

 

(Votan)     It took some time. Spanning a few years. Not because it took us that entire time to write and record it, but just because of time constraints and some other set-backs like covid that happened during the same time.

 

From demo to pre-production to recording and re-amping, it took some time. We actually recorded the drums back in November 2019 with the expectation to release the album sometime in early 2021.

 

  (Astor)   We had a few set-backs. Like everyone else, the pandemic definitely affected us. From the beginning I knew I wanted to record the album a certain way and between the lockdowns and supply chains we kind of came to a halt for a while. That and a few other things extended our recording process but we’re here now, and ready to release our debut album and begin working on our next.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Tough one but probably Septic Flesh or Hypocrisy. Something like that. I’ve just always loved their songwriting, riffs and style and feel like I could actually play their music. I’m no Jeff Loomis or Mikael Akerfeldt haha

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Probably the song Revolution by Septic Flesh. It’s a very simple song. There are only a few parts but those parts are amazing and it’s arranged perfectly. The melodies are what I wish I could create. That or maybe something totally different like that Sisters of Mercy song from the Lost Boys.  

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Mozart, Bach, Basil Poledouris,80's music, old-school video game music

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

Boston’s Higher Power

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Haven’t played with them yet but lately Rotting Christ was very impressive live. Lots of energy.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Haven’t played there yet but this place in Austin, Texas called Come and Take It Live or Emo’s would be great. Lots of great bands come through there.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Usually get nervous/ancy and try to practice some guitar to get warmed up. If it’s cold, gotta keep those hands/fingers warm.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?


We’re currently in the process of putting a complete band together so we can get on the road. So far it’s been challenging in our area but we’re working on it!

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

See above haha

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

ahem

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

 *ahem ahem*

 

The year is 2010.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

In San Antonio, probably listening to some kind of Type O Negative, Septic Flesh or Moonsorrow and playing guitar/writing some kind of riff

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Write great music first and go from there.

 

 What is an absolute band killer?

 

Djentiness, silly breakdowns, lack of song structure, complaining

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Not really…I really need to like the riffs and whatever I’m making first before I show it to anybody else.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Metal Dawn Open Air haha I don’t know.

 

Dawn of Existence

Hypocrisy

The Halo Effect

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

I dunno. A week?

 

As a kid, the summers could get pretty crazy haha

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I like to oil paint and am a sucker for cats


Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Yes

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Yes. They must always be able to escape quickly.

 

Give me three albums that I should listen to immediately, if not sooner.

 

Dan Swano - Moontower

Unto Others - Mana

Obsequiae - The Palms of Sorrowed Kings

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Probably something like Follow the Reaper from Children of Bodom to stay energized.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

I’ll go with something traditional like The Life and Times of Steve Fernandez, otherwise known as Votan.

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

I had to look it up but it’s that Shake it off one

 

Rammstein or Slipknot (if you had to choose)?

 

Rammstein. I’m not really a mega fan of either but I’ll go with Rammstein

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Doobies

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars 100%

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Right now probably my Unto Others bat shirt but I just ordered a Mercyful Fate ‘Time’ shirt that I’m looking forward to getting in.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Fried chicken or quesadillas currently. Both with jalapenos

 

Favorite book?

 

Any of the Lovecraft collections or stuff by Algernon Blackwood. I can pick those stories up any time and get sucked in. Or Lord of the Rings. That’s another one I can pick up from almost anywhere and just read.

 

Favorite movie?

 

Tough but probably All Quiet on the Western Front. Pretty much any iteration but especially the original from the 30’s. That or Aliens or Fellini’s Satyricon.


Favorite album?

 

Incredibly difficult question to answer but probably Revolution DNA by Septic Flesh or Ghost Reveries by Opeth

 

Favorite video game?

 

All time favorite is probably Castlevania III.

 

In recent times, Elden Ring has sucked away more hours than I’d like to admit haha.

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan or Legion of Doom

 

     Many, many thanks to Votan and Astor for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate you both!  May 5th is the release date for Ancient Arts, the debut release from Dawn of Existence.  If an album thick with sonic savagery and dark atmosphere is what you are in the mood for (and why wouldn't you be?) then look no further.  Check out the single Marble Garden courtesy of the link conveniently provided below.  You're welcome!


-El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)


https://music.dawnofexistence.com/album/ancient-arts

Comments