A Ripple Conversation With Craig Ewan From Dead Defined

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

I have one distinct memory of when music really spoke to me. Ironically enough it was on my way to a religious bible camp and I was listening to Papa Roach, ha. Their album Infest came out in 2000 so I would have been about 15 yrs old. I immediately fell in love with ‘heavy’ hard rock music. Everything about the appearance, stage personas, music videos, etc. I knew I wanted to be that! Not soon after I remember getting a guitar for my birthday and sitting in my room for hours on end learning my favourite riffs from all my favourite bands.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

To be honest it’s different all the time. I can’t say I have just one set process of writing. I could be playing around on the guitar and come up with a great riff which progresses into vocal melodies, or I could be walking down the street humming something in my head and writing melodies and lyrics on the spot. I find that’s the most interesting part of a writing process that if you have to overthink the ideas it’s a lot harder to come up with quality material. I rather something come to me through boredom or out of the blue.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

There have been many artists and bands that have influenced me and still do to this day. I’ll name off my top 3 as of now (because they always change). 1st a huge influence on my writing and singing would have to be Mark Tremonti and his work with Creed, Alter Bridge and his solo work. I learned so much from his playing and song writing over the years as he progressed to get better and better. 2nd would be Sevendust. They’re a staple in the hard rock metal scene for over 20 years. I would jam a lot of their music with my friends over the years and subconsciously they find a way into my style and writing as well. 3rd would still have to be Papa Roach. They’ve always been my go to band. They’ve done nothing but write bangers for over 20 years as well. The struggles that the band have gone through to continue to be a band today is admirable as well.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

The up and coming music scene. I listen to a lot of American Hard Rock whether it be on SiriusXM, or Spotify. I’m glad to see that it’s now reaching a wider audience thanks to social media and trends. It’s also inspiring to see the younger generations finding older bands that have been around for over 20 years and having their influence on them.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

I’m from a town 45 mins Northeast of Toronto called Uxbridge. It’s always had a thriving music scene believe it or not. We’ve had some pretty big names come from this area as far as music and entertainment. I think it’s because there really wasn’t much to do growing up like any small town so we were always trying to find something to keep us entertained. Luckily we were close to other major hub cities like Toronto, Barrie, Peterborough etc. to be able to branch out and actually play live and for other audiences to educate ourselves and learn those music scenes as well.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

The band name actually comes from a dark place, but the music is actually quite positive ha. The origin of it stems from questioning one’s own mortality. I had been watching too many documentaries at the time about assisted suicide in the critically ill and elderly and the question I always asked myself was how does one define death? It’s a bit morbid I know, but Dead Defined had a better ring to it than any other descriptive pairing of words. 

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

I’ll pick one of my favourites, Twister. I’d love to one day write something orchestral to see if it’s something I’d be able to do. Something like a Hans Zimmer soundtrack, that would be fun.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

I’d have to go with ‘Blackbird’ by Alter Bridge. I’ve heard it called the new ‘Nothing Else Matters’ by Metallica and it makes a lot of sense. It’s an amazing ballad turned heavy rock song. It tells a story along the way.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?


I’m not sure how much detail I can go into so I’ll keep it simple and pg-13 for your readers. It involved myself, 2 bandmates, and 3 girls but one had an amputated leg. Use your imagination.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans? 

 

I’m a very inclusive artist when it comes to performance. I love to interact with a crowd on the spot. It’s almost like stand up comedy in a way where you have to be somewhat sharp on your delivery and professionalism. I’m a very animated artist on stage and try to give the audience a great show, it’s what they paid for.

 

What makes a great song?

 

For me it’s always been melodies when listening to music. Being a lyricist as well, oddly enough it’s not the lyrics I try to analyze. Lyrics are important to tell a story but not my main focus when listening to new music. Even when writing my own music, it’s always a great vocal melody or catchy riff that gets me hooked on a song.

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

I honestly can’t even remember what it was. It was years and years ago. It probably wasn’t that good or ever got recorded haha. It’s probably recorded on some old tape player from back in the day.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I’d like to say all of them. They were all written and recorded at different times in my life. It’s almost like a diary sometimes to look back and analyze where I was at mentally when writing that particular song. That’s what makes music amazing, as it leaves an imprint on your brain.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

There’s so many new and upcoming bands that kickass which is awesome. I recently got into a band called ‘Architects’. They have some incredible heavy guitars and amazing vocal hooks. The skill level of writing blows my mind since it’s not really a genre I’m usually listening to, I’d like to say it’s Djent Metal.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Digital. I hate to say it but in the industry these days it’s all digital. As an artist it’s what pays the least amount when streamed or purchased sadly, but it is what it is. Most of Soundscan and other tracking services use streams as a source information on your bands listeners. There was a time when we could sell CD’s for $15-20 a piece. But sadly those days seem to be long gone, even newer vehicles these days don’t even come with a CD Player, so that says something.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Beer for me. I’m not one to get totally blasted or really drunk so I find beer keeps you in a nice controlled temperament. I’ve seen too many friends get wasted off of whiskey and it’s never a good time.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

My hometown is Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada. Unfortunately, we don’t have a record store. We don’t even have a music store. Don’t get me wrong, we are a very musical town but the market for instruments and vinyl records in this area is outsourced to larger businesses in other towns that rule the markets.

 

What's next for the band? 

 

Continue to write and record in 2023. I try to be consistent with my music releases every 2-3 months. It seems like a bit of a span but when it’s a one person team doing all the writing, recording, promoting, social media etc. It takes quite a bit of time in between releases to keep the ball rolling.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Just want to say thanks for your time and the opportunity! I hope your followers/fans are now more inclined to check out my music as Dead Defined!

 

Official Website - https://www.deaddefined.com/

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9heJOPHswZyf5_fbKJYhSw

Personal Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DeadDefined

Band Page Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DeadDefinedOfficial

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/craig_ewan/

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/artist/4JhsozqHaCW7SlKGKaysXF

Apple Music - https://music.apple.com/ca/artist/dead-defined/1356349643

TikTok - https://www.tiktok.com/@craig_ewan

 

Comments