A Fistful Of Questions With Violet From Wolven Daughter

     Guitarist.  Vocalist.  Drummer.  Fantasy enthusiast!  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Wolven Daughter mastermind Violet. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Violet Elizabeth Palmer

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

E, Shadowsister, The Wretched Crone

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Wolven Daughter, Dread Maw, Oremus Satanae, Dungeon Slut (drums only)

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Guitar. I started learning when I was about fourteen, but didn’t really take it seriously until a few years ago, when I started to make music.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Singing along to Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus when I was about three years old.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Rage of Devils. That project is now defunct. That was my first attempt at making black metal, and I don’t feel like it really had any sense of purpose or direction. I was just trying to make music as dark and heavy as possible. I think some good stuff came out of it, and I have good memories of it, but I won’t be taking it any further

 

Tell me about the genesis of VVolven Daughter. 

 

As mentioned above, I was feeling unsatisfied with my previous project, and at the same time was listening to a lot of really raw, stripped-down, dark black metal (Ofstingan, Wampyric Rites, Shaidar Logoth, etc) and really wanted to do something like that. I didn’t feel like it would fit under the Rage of Devils name, so I scrapped that project and rebranded

 

What inspired the name VVolven Daughter?


A line in the Wormwitch song, “Iron Woman,” where the character of the song is described as “the daughter of wolves.” The name just popped into my head and immediately knew it was perfect. It was the exact mix of feminine and badass that I wanted.

 

How long did it take you to write and record your self-titled ep?

 

I don’t remember, but I don’t think it was very long. Most of the Wolven Daughter releases I think have only taken a couple weeks at most. Part of the reason for that is I tend to work in quick bursts all at once and then not do anything for months. So when I’m working on a release I basically do nothing else. They’re also just short. I prefer shorter releases as a listener myself, so that’s what I tend to do.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

The obvious answer would be Immortal because they’re the band that got me into black metal, but in truth there are so many cool bands out there that I’d be honored to play with that I couldn’t name just one.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

 “Too Old, Too Cold” by Darkthrone. I’d make a deal with The Prince of the Pit himself to have written that main riff.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Tons, but the big one would probably be Stan Rogers. He just wrote some of the most beautiful songs that I’ve ever heard

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

Interesting question, because my partner and I have a folk project in the works, so there will be lots of old American and Celtic standards on there. As far as stuff that might actually end up on a Wolven Daughter release, I’d like to cover something by Sixteen Horsepower. Their songs are so eerie, they’d do perfectly as black metal covers. Maybe “Prison Shoe Romp” or “Harm’s Way”

 

What band have you witnessed in person that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

I’ve seen Blackguard live twice, and I had never really connected with their stuff on record, but they put on such an energetic live show that I couldn’t help but enjoy myself.


What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had at a live show?

 

I honestly can’t think of one. I think the singer of Watain might have spat blood on me, but that hardly counts as weird at a black metal show

 

The year is 2006.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

At home because I have no friends. And I’m listening to any one of the rap artists I was really into at that time. Might have been Chamillionare, 8Ball & MJG, T.I., Lil Jon, Nelly, The Game, Young Buck, just off the top of my head.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Don’t wait until something is “perfect” to put it out there. My earliest recordings are hot garbage, but they were great learning experiences. If the music and the heart is there, the following will come.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Not sure what this means, but if it means “what will kill my interest forever in a band” that would have to be being a fucking Nazi.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Well, it’s just me, so technically no. But there’s a song on the first Wolven Daughter EP, “Thy Throat is an Open Grave” that I absolutely despise, but even the negative reviews of that EP spoke positively about it.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Black Atmosphere; Panopticon, Feminazgul, Mare Cognitum


What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

I was washed in the Devil’s own black fire as a girl, I don’t need to bathe.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I’m trilingual! English, Spanish, and French.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

I literally do not listen to any podcasts on any subject, I don’t have the attention span.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Unicorns sleep next to the two other people they just fucked

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

At the Heart of Winter. The guitar work alone on that album could keep me entertained the whole way. I’m still discovering new things about that album.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

My Cat Won’t Let Me Meditate and Other Bumps on the Road to Enlightenment.

 

(Interviewer’s note; this might be the greatest book title ever)

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

Literally too many bangers to choose. Blank Space, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Cardigan, Anti-Hero, Bejeweled, Willow, Welcome to New York…the list goes on.

 

Immortal or Enslaved (if you had to choose)?

 

Immortal

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

I’m a stoner lesbian, you’re going to hell for asking me this question

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffle House waffles specifically

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Wars

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Oooooh that’s a tough question. Probably Black Anvil. I bought it at my first real metal show.

 

Favorite meal?


A hamburger and rice skillet, one of my mom’s recipes. I can never get it right no matter how much I try, but when she makes it it’s incredible.

 

Favorite book?

 

Another very tough choice. I tend to read a lot of fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Black Company, The Death Gate Cycle are probably my top three

 

Favorite movie?

 

Not a big movie person, honestly. Couldn’t say.

 

Favorite album?

 

I’ve already talked about At the Heart of Winter, which is the actual answer, so I’m going to say Transilvanian Hunger by Darkthrone. To me that is the standard by which all other black metal is measured. It’s the perfect mix of raw and eerie, and there’s not a boring riff on it

 

Favorite video game?

 

The Legend of Dragoon. Old JRPG from the early 2000s. 4 discs long, played through all of them about 5 times

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

I have literally never watched wrestling, sorry.

 

 

     Massive thank you to Violet for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  I highly recommend you listen to Wolven Daughter.  Please do so immediately if not sooner via the link below.  

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson host of the Fisftul of DOOM show)

 

https://wolvendaughter.bandcamp.com/album/wolven-daughter

Comments