A Ripple Conversation With Jimmy Sweeney Of Cliché Cult

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphanies since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Going round to my cousins house when I was 14 and watching him play Waterfall by the Stone Roses on guitar. 

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Usually I'll write a verse or chorus at home, sometimes both, then bring the bare bones of the track into the room and we all jam it out. It's mostly melody before lyrics.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

There's an endless list of influences really. I'd say Bowie is probably the biggest musically, I'd say everyone in our band influences each other as well. 

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

Just discovering new music really. If ever I have a writers block lyrically I'll pick up a book, if it's melodically I'll learn a cover or two.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

We're all from various towns in Yorkshire but we all live in Leeds. Leeds is a very industrial city and can be quite bleak at times with the horrible weather, yet it is filled with animated characters and real people. I think our music sounds real.

 

Where'd the band name come from?


I think there's a lot of bands out there at the moment that are trying to be something that's already been done before. I guess it's an opposite definition of what we aspire to be, tongue in cheek if you like.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Tricky one! I really haven't got a clue, maybe The Truman Show, I wouldn't get bored of watching it while writing for it.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Probably something off Trout Mask Replica by Cpt Beefheart - Maybe Dachua Blues. It would be fun to write about, I think I could really go off on one with it because it's absolutely mental.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

On our second gig, we played at The Castle Hotel in Manchester and there was about 5 people in the room including the sound engineer and before we started playing I shouted on the mic "Let's have it Glastonbury!!!!" dead loud and yeah, it didn't go down well.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

We love playing live, it feels like finally all the hard work put into this band pays off, especially when we see fans singing along to our songs. We've had some great gigs and one or two terrible ones where everything seems to go against you on the night. We learn from this though.

 

What makes a great song?


A great listener.

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

It's hard, I feel like I'd be trying to steal someone else's thunder sneaking my way in to one of my favourite albums. I'd have love to have been present for when pet sounds was created, just watching Brian Wilson at work really. Maybe he could have got me smashing a Vibraslap or something.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I'm really happy with our new single Slippy, it was written surprisingly quick as well, it's nice when it falls together in a short space of time like it's writing itself. I feel proud of every song to be honest once I've brought it in the band room because the influence the other lads have on them is astonishing.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Alex Turner, Grian Chatten. Their lyrics are phenomenal and they're both major influences of the band.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Vinyl, got to be. I love looking at the artwork and having the real thing. There's a record shop in Leeds called Relics that I enjoy going to.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Beer - love a crisp cold beer, love the taste. 

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?


As mentioned above, Relics Records in Leeds.

 

What's next for the band?

 

We've got a few new tunes to get working on so we'll keep writing, recording and playing gigs. We're back in the studio in mid-November Which we're all excited for. 

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

I hope you enjoy our latest single Slippy.

 

https://www.facebook.com/clichecultband/

https://www.instagram.com/clichecult/?hl=en

https://twitter.com/clichecultband?lang=en

https://soundcloud.com/user-757962578

https://open.spotify.com/artist/0wIIaLPfQvlqIFgGjD0lXA?si=Gdz9TcQvQdqMu5YDoyb9YQ&nd=1

https://music.apple.com/in/artist/clich%C3%A9-cult/1537849321

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2P2o5f7qS7_ogaTUMGAMmA

Comments