A Fistful Of Questions With Kevin Kilfeather

     Multi-instrumentalist.  Spirit talker!?  This edition for Fistful of Questions goes out to Kevin Kilfeather. 

 

 

What is your full name?

 

Kevin S. Kilfeather

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

K. for short

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Kilfeather

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Singing/Songwriting. Started learning to play the guitar just before 10 years old

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Seeing a George HW Bush campaign ad right after Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit music video on T.V.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Religious Vomit

 

Tell me about the genesis of Kilfeather. 

 

After forming and fronting bands over the years in which I also wrote and composed the material, Kilfeather spawned out of my need to record the many other songs I had in the wings outside of my band's catalog. Up until about 2006, my main focus was getting my bands, of many names, to record our material. After many lineup and name changes over the years, I decided it would be best to start cataloging all of my other original songs and just to use my surname.

 

What inspired the name Kilfeather?

 

My great grandparents both came here from Ireland alone and when they got off of the boat at Ellis island, they met each other. Their names are still there on the immigration plaques.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Armchair Revolutionaries?


7 days and 7 nights. No, realistically it took me a jam session or two on a smartphone to write and about 5 months to perform, record, and produce at both my former studio in Downtown Las Vegas, NV and my current studio in San Diego, CA.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Misfits. Only as a songwriter though. That was the first band I really got "into" as a kid. I figure due to their rising popularity with nostalgia shoppers around the world, we might as well get a new album out of it and if we did get one, I feel like I could help save the writing process from the hands of Glenn and Jerry.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

To be honest, no. Songwriting to me is way too much of a personal experience. I often say that I don't even write songs. I kind of just hear them and try to physically recreate the siren going off in my brain on wax so to speak.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Most of my musical inspirations are not really metal at all. I rarely find excitement in the genre to be fair despite my tendency to play heavier music. Most of my inspirations are in the psychedelic and punk realm.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

"Where Did Our Love Go?" By The Supremes

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Death Valley Girls

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas is always an amazing experience

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Severely neglect my health with improper nutrition and walk the precipice of dehydration. I've been better lately though. Coffee helps.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Seeing both old and new places while getting to enjoy the freedom of playing music. Sharing that energy has been an incomparable experience.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

The Smell and Denny's.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?


Anywhere outside of the United States. Japan or the UK.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Standing on the side of the road headed towards Utah watching a big ball of light split into several and float around each other until they all shot off into the distance out of view. Not the first time and probably won't be the last.

 

The year is 2000.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

I'm on Long Island New York and probably listening to Bad Religion

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Just keep pushing on and don't be afraid to be yourself.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Miscommunication

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Yes. "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Let your freak flag fly fest with Ohsees, King Gizzard, and Ween.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?


Only a few days. I enjoy a hot shower.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

My strange connection with the spirit world, not by choice.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

No. I don't really podcast much.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Yes and No. They are just horses with an abnormality and horses can rest to a significant extent while standing up. However, to achieve REM sleep, they must lie down.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Band of Gypsys: Jimi Hendrix

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

A Momentary Lapse of Better Judgment.

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

The one she did with Kanye West.

 

Slipknot or Rammstein (if you had to choose)?

 

Rammstein

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

The latter.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star wars. Star Trek is where the human race should be moving toward but Star wars is where we are heading.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

I don't own any

 

Favorite meal?

 

Breakfast. Bacon, eggs over medium, potatoes, and toast. Occasionally will substitute toast for pancakes or a waffle.

 

Favorite book?


Book of the law by Aleister Crowley

 

Favorite movie?

 

Batman '89

 

Favorite album?

 

Ramones debut

 

Favorite video game?

 

NES Mario

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Andre the Giant

 

 

     Mucho thanks to Kevin for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Armchair Revolutionaries is a seriously compelling listen.  Take advantage of the link below and cram some righteous tunes in your ear holes.

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://open.spotify.com/track/7i1lqpYRwTB5bpGU04Oj24?si=01a997f6b9a7443c

Comments