A Fistful Of Questions With Jude Sisk From Stone Nomads

     Ladies and gentlemen it is with great pleasure that I bring to you this interview with Stone Nomads’ bass slinger Jude Sisk.  Enjoy!

 

What is your full name?

 

My mother calls me Jude Sisk, so I will stick with that. 

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

My co-workers used to call me Grumpy Cat back when that was a thing.  They were young and perky.  I was older and not.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Stone Nomads is my only band at the moment. 

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Clarinet.  I learned to read music in middle school band. 

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

I was 14 when I played my first real live gig.  It was at Fitzgerald’s in Houston, TX.  My dad had to drive me.  When my band, The Measels, got finished playing the sound guy said we sucked, but our stage banter was hilarious. He suggested we quit music immediately and become a comedy troupe.  On a side note, Mike Kennerty from the pop rock band All American Rejects was in the Measels.  He went on to sell millions of records in the 2000s.  We still keep in touch.    

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Plastic Jesus. 

 

Tell me about the genesis of Stone Nomads. 

 

Cosky and I have known each other since we were in high school.  We were both pretty nomadic when we were younger, so if we were ever living in the same city at the same time we would start a band.  I settled back in Houston a while ago.  He moved here about 2 years ago.  He called me up and asked me to lay down some bass tracks on some doom/sludge songs he was working on. I came in and suggested he make some changes to the songs.  He liked what I was saying, so we decided to start a band.  We spent some time writing songs, and then put the word out that we were looking for a drummer.  We tried a few guys out before we found Dwayne, but he came in prepared and ready to start playing.  That impressed Jon and I, so we asked him to join.  We went out to celebrate at Brash Brewing, so if anyone at Brash reads this, hook us up with a couple rounds! 


What inspired the name Stone Nomads?

 

It was a combination of a lot of things.  I got really inspired by the neolithic tombs when I went over to Ireland.  Jon’s family had been stonemasons for generations. We started a stone importing company in the mid-2000s. Mix in some family history of living on the run and there you have it.  That’s where our heads were when we came up with the name.  In the end, we met at a bar.  Each of us brought a list of names, and we started marking names off each other’s list.  You kill one of mine.  I strike one of yours.  We did that until we were down to two.  Then it was just a matter of picking the one we liked better.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Fields of Doom?

 

Writing was really quick.  We finished writing the record by August of 2021.  Dwayne joined in October.  At first we just started playing live, but people kept asking us about an album, so we started recording in May of 2022.  We did it ourselves in our practice space.  About 98% of the work was done by Jon.  Dwayne added a lot of feedback, which was really helpful.  Everytime Jon sent over a mix, Dwanye would send him back a page of notes.  I hate recording, so I let those two bicker about the sound of everything. Esben Willems from Monolord mastered the vinyl release of “Fields of Doom”, which should be available in the next month or so.

 

One more thing about “Fields of Doom”, by the time we started to record those songs we had already written about 2 more albums of material.  We plan on going back to the studio in January to start the process all over again.  Be on the lookout for a new album in May 2023.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Big Country or Thin Lizzy.  Both of them had such great songs.  With Thin Lizzy it would have been great to play along with Scott Gorham. Not to mention hanging out with a great songwriter like Phil Lynott.

 

Big Country will probably be a head scratcher for people, but hear me out.  Their albums are killed by the 1980s production.  If you see live footage of them they are a twin guitar hard rock band.  I wish I could have been there in the studio and said, “Hey guys, this record sounds like 80s synth pop.  We are a rock band.  Let’s sound like it!”

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Ha!  Tons.  All Your Sin by Pentagram, Nervous Breakdown by Black Flag, The Usurper by Celtic Frost to name a few.  Did I mention Living Backwards by Saint Vitus?

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?


I grew up listening to punk and hardcore mostly, so I still have a ton of that influence.  Hearing Black Flag was a turning point in my life.  I think I was 13.  It changed my musical trajectory. In my mind if Black Flag, Thin Lizzy, and Saint Vitus had a child that would be me.  Metal adjacent, but not metal influences per se.  

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

Humans by Nomeansno?  Is Kiss metal, because The Oath would be a great song to cover. 

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Elder.  Flawless victory.  Not one mistake all night. 

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Brass Mug, Tampa, FL.  Lots of history there.  

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Stretch, breath, then buy a beer.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

I’ve never been on a months long tour before.  I’ve done small things here and there, so my experience is somewhat limited.  There is an excitement that goes with seeing new faces, and playing new spots.  It’s the novelty that is exciting.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Spending all that time in the van. 

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Portland, OR.  Lots of good memories in that city.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Getting propositioned by a British Paratrooper at a trough urinal. 

 

The year is 2006.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 


Depending on the time of year, either Portland and Zeke, or Tampa and Obituary.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

You are going to have to hustle.  Success doesn’t come to you.  Even if you have the best songs in the world, if you are not willing to put in the work to put them in front of people you are always going to be jamming in your bedroom. Luckily, the doom community is very helpful.  There are a ton of people that are willing to lend a hand along the way.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Ego.  Every band member has to compromise along the way.  I’m not saying compromise your values. Compromise on a set list, song title, guitar riff.  That sort of thing.  If you insist on always being right, you are soon going to be alone.  

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Yes, and I’m the one who wrote it! The thing is trust.  If the other guys in the band believe in it, you’ve got to trust that they hear something you don’t.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Fields of Doomfest.  Headliners would be Saint Vitus, Candlemass, and Enslaved.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

12 days

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I love Irish music.  I listen to The Dubliners, The Pogues, and Clancy Brothers all the time. 

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Yes, sir.  Where else are you going to learn how to pronounce Icosahedron.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?


Trick question, Unicorns don’t sleep.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Black Flag “Slip It In”

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

“Follow the music” My friend Mack and I were leaving a bar and heard a band playing.  We followed the music into this neighborhood and had a crazy night. Short version…There was a hedge maze, an all girl Ramones cover band, the largest pile of weed I have ever seen, and a horse trough full of salsa. The phrase, follow the music, kind of became a running joke between us.   

 

What is your favorite song by Geto Boys?

 

I can rhyme “Mind Playing Tricks on Me” from beginning to end, son.  H-Town represent. RIP Buskwick Bill

 

Slipknot or Rammstein (if you had to choose)?

 

Slipknot, and I definitely choose. 

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Easy, waffles.  Nothing better than a 2am breakfast at Waffle House.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars.  My dad used to torture me by making me watching Star Trek the next generation when I was growing up. Left a bad taste in my mouth to this day. 

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Thin Lizzy 2002 tour shirt when John Sykes was still fronting the band. 

 

Favorite meal?

 

Gumbo

 

Favorite book?

 

“Neuromancer” by William Gibson

 

Favorite movie?

 

Army of Darkness


Favorite album?

 

It always changes.  Right now it’s “Lore” by Elder.

 

Favorite video game?

 

Fallout: New Vegas or Sleeping Dogs

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Randy Macho Man Savage

 

 

     Massive thanks to Jude for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Speaking of massive run do not walk and get your hands on a physical copy of the massively good Fields of Doom.  That mother fucker goes hard from beginning to end.  Get your copy N-O-W! 

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://stonenomads.bandcamp.com/album/fields-of-doom

Comments