A Fistful Of Questions With Jochen Engelking From Black Space Riders


   


  Ladies and gentlemen.  It is with great pleasure that I bring to you this interview with the singer/songwriter and guitarist of one of my favorite bands.  That just happens to be Jochen from Black Space Riders. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Jochen Engelking

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

In the context of our band BLACK SPACE RIDERS I am using my initials JE as alias.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

At the moment I am focusing only on BLACK SPACE RIDERS.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

The recorder. I learned it when I was 4 years old.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

There was always singing and music around me when I grew up as a small child. My parents listened to classical music. The first time I remember being really deeply emotionally touched by music was on a vacation trip to the Brittany (France). A part of my family lives there. The Brittany is deeply rooted in the Celtic culture. My parents took me to a folklore concert one day and this moment was probably my musical awakening kiss …. Still today I feel this deep emotional connection to Celtic music.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

There were so many and I can´t remember them all. Not the first but probably one of the first 5 bands I was in was named "Catholic Highschool Girls in Trouble". Another band that was at least a little bit successful in Germany in the early 90ies was called "Nuts4guts".

 

Tell me about the genesis of Black Space Riders.

 

BLACK SPACE RIDERS is a little bit like my second musical spring. I never really stopped playing, performing and recording music, but there was a time when I wasn´t playing actively in a rock band. My son was born, I had become a family man, at the same time work challenged me … I guess a lot of people know this part of life. Still I was writing songs, recorded and released them. Around 2008 I was busy with more mellow music, somehow Singer-Songwriter-Alternative-Country mixed with electronic elements and it wasn´t really a band. I met my longtime friend and drummer-companion CRIP, who was also working on solo material at that time. We both felt there was something missing in our lives: playing in a loud and heavy rock band to get that energetic kick of playing live together.



I asked a friend from youth days if he would like to join us on second guitar. That was SLI … we had been launching a metal fanzine back in the 80ies but had lost track of each other for some years. SLI brought in our founding bassist SAQ. That was in the winter 2008/2009. In 2012 our second voice SEB joined us after the second album (Light is the new black). SAQ moved on to another band in 2017 and MEI followed him on bass.

 

What inspired the name Black Space Riders?

 

We were looking for words with a sound similar to our music which was especially in the beginning days based on heavy heavy riffs but always had that additional psychedelic cosmical flavour. We also wanted something in a kind of comic book style, something a little bit over the top … a bold statement. Since I am a science fiction fan since I was a kid and so is SAQ we finally came up with BLACK SPACE RIDERS.

 

How long did it take you to write and record We Have Been Here Before?

 

The first ideas came in 2018 after finishing the recording sessions for AMORETUM 1 & 2. We always do record everything that we play in the rehearsal room. So we can check later for good ideas and continue to work on them. Most of  the song ideas came in 2019/2020. We really took our time and had a lot of material to choose from. In 2021 we crafted the selected ideas into songs and arrangements and did a kind of preproduction in our rehearsal room. SEB and I started to write the lyrics in  the beginning of 2021 after agreeing on the lyrical master idea and concept of "We have been here before". Then we went into the studio in march 2022 and recorded for about 3-4 weeks.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

If I could travel through time and take my gear with me I would love to join the Beatles. If they would let me I would add some balls and dirt, rock and riffs to their exceptional good songs and additionally bring in some hypnotic space sound effects. What a challenge! I think I could contribute (if they let me  )

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

First time maybe "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath when I was really young. So simple, so cool, soo good, so scary. Then later maybe "Black hole sun" by Soundgarden. Writing such a challenging and sophisticated piece of music with these strange dark lyrics and being so successful with that …. Impressive.

 

Do you have any non-rock/metal musical inspirations?



Oh so many. Listen to our music and you can discover them. I like all kind of music since my childhood days as long as the music is touching me emotionally and/or is well done. Starting with Folk and Country like Townes van Zandt or Will Oldham. World music, Reggae and Dub. Jazz … especially the cool and ambient side of Jazz. Electronic music from the old classics (Tangerine Dream) to the newer classics (Underworld or Massive Attack). HipHop and Funk. The dark side of classical music like Debussy, Stravinsky  or Dvorak. And I love good sophisticated pop tunes from e.g. Beatles, Talk Talk, The Smiths or Tears for Fears. I like music when it´s deep and dark. I am a huge fan of David Bowie, Tom Waits and David Sylvian.

 

What’s a pop song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

In my opinion "Don´t fear the reaper" by BÖC is the perfect pop song, will do that one day.  We did a cover version of "Staying alive" by the Bee Gees back in the days …. In a groovy Doom-Glam-Rock-Style … that was really cool and funny.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

A lot of bands …. Often bands who were not really well known. Two shows from long ago that I really remember were with 24-7-Spyz and with BLACK TUSK. On the other hand … unfortunately there have been a couple of bands and/or musicians who I admired and respected before meeting them …. I didn´t any more after playing together. I myself really try to be nice and respectful …. You don´t have to be an asshole just to pretend you are a rock star.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

I am going to feature some of my favourite hometown venues in my answer in case any bands from abroad are reading this and are planning to play in Muenster/Germany. Furthermore these venues are maybe my favourites anyway because we are so closely connected with them … they somehow feel like "home". There is Rare Guitar in Münster, a Guitar Shop run by a good friend. It´s at the same time a Club with a capacity of maybe 150 visitors, a very cool place. It´s a kind of second home for me, our rehearsal room is in the same building. A bit bigger is the "Gleis 22" in Münster with a capacity of maybe 250 visitors. The Club has been voted in polls "best live Club in Germany" for years. And then we have the bigger "Sputnikhalle" where we usually play when we are having a show in Muenster. It has a capacity of almost 1000 visitors.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Actually we really have. Directly before entering the stage we are standing together in a circle, all five of us, in a collective band hug, forehead to forehead. Then we start a collective humming together that we develop over about two minutes into a collective scream.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

The time on stage and the time after the show in the Clubs, at our merchandise counter together with the fans and friends from other bands.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?



The time before the show …. waiting and hanging around

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

A lot of cities, because after these years we are well connected with the organizers and the people in the clubs … it´s sometimes like a reunion among friends. Maybe Cologne, my brothers are living there with their families and they all come to the show.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

What happens on tour stays on tour

 

The year is 1998.  Where are you at and what are you listening to?

 

I am on a 3 months backpacking trip with my wife through Chile and Argentina and I am listening to "Mezzanine" by Massive Attack.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Get out of your rehearsal room! Go  and see live shows – go and play live shows!

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Poor personal relations with each other and not being able to communicate with each other.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

"really didn´t like" is too much, but songs that I liked less than others: of course. In the end being in a band  also requires that you compromise …. Even the alpha dogs.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Maybe "Spacefest"? Playing with us would be Faith No More, Killing Joke and the Melvins.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Several years (I am the shower type). But if you are asking for a long period with highly reduced body hygiene … maybe three weeks while hiking in the Hardangervidda in Norway.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?



I used to play baritone saxophone in a Jazz Band.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

From today, right now for all time.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

I haven´t met one yet so I had too look it up on the internet. I just found several online platforms discussing things like that (e.g. unicornyard and magicalunicornlife) … that´s really unbelievable, you should check it,  if you want to read something really absurd. On the other hand: we are chatting about Metal and music so why shouldn´t other people chat about unicorns? I am easy as long as they don´t harm anybody.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

"The Crack" from 1979 by the british band RUTS. Everybody should know this album by the way.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

"The book of JE"? Or maybe "It ain´t over ´til it´s over"!

 

What is your favorite song by David Hasselhoff?

 

I only know one. Fun fact: young people at the age of my son (who did not have to endure David Hasselhoff back in the 80ies) are celebrating "Looking for freedoms" at their parties …. Weird!

 

Kreator or Rammstein (if you had to choose)?

 

Kreator!

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Rubies.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes (with ham and cheese)

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Always loved both. As I have to choose: Star Trek.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Suicidal Tendencies

 

Favorite meal?

 

Roasted lamb with fried potatoes.

 

Favorite book?



Carlos Ruiz Zafon "The shadow of the wind"

 

Favorite movie?

 

Blade Runner

 

Favorite album?

 

"The wall" Pink Floyd

 

Favorite video game?

 

Sorry, I don´t play video games. But my son does.

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Sorry, no clue. Never ever watched wrestling.  

 

 

     Massive thank you to Jochen Engelking for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  October 21st will be the release date for Black Space Riders’ new album, We Have Been Here Before.  Pre-orders are available now.  You know what to do!!! 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://blackspaceriders.bandcamp.com/album/we-have-been-here-before

Comments