A Fistful Of Questions With Paul Chavez From Stockhausen & The Amplified Riot

     Guitarist.  Label executive.  Cycling enthusiast.  One man rock show!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Paul Chavez from Stockhausen & The Amplified Riot. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Paul Chavez

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

Morton Hurley

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Stockhausen & The Amplified Riot

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Guitar – it’s my first love and passion.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

My most significant memory was seeing KISS in concert in 1979. After that experience, I knew I wanted to be an entertainer and a musician.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

The first real band I was in – one that performed and recorded – was called Bondage Harvest. It was an industrial noise collective that was similar to Throbbing Gristle and Einstürzende Neubauten.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Stockhausen & The Amplified Riot.

 

The band started as a garage rock trio in March 2020. The three of us jammed a few times on ideas and song development and were making plans for gigs and such. Then COVID got serious so we just cooled it with meeting up to jam. However, I was still writing music with my drum machine and putting together demos. Once things eased up with COVID – the other two had started OTHER projects so I decided to keep it going as a solo artist to see if I could actually pull it off.

 

What inspired the name Stockhausen & The Amplified Riot?

 

The band was originally called Amplified Riot, but once I started working on my own, I expanded the name because I thought it would be funny to have a long name for a one-person band.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Era of the Inauthentic?

 

Three of the songs featured on the new release are from the original band demos. I have been working on rearranging most (if not all) of those songs for my current configuration.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?


The Who from 1972 to 1978. It would have been fascinating to be a witness to the creative process and experience the dynamics of the band during that time.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it? If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Not a particular song – but I do wish I could have been involved in the experimental music scene in England during the 1990s. The amount of creativity and sharing of ideas and resources is inspiring and beautiful.

 

Do you have any non-rock musical inspirations?

 

Riding my bike. Sometimes, actually many times, while I’m riding – I’ll come up with a drum pattern and start pedaling to that rhythm. Then I’ll start playing around with melodies to that rhythm… and then I race home to record my new idea!

 

What’s a pop song that you’d like to do a cover of?

 

I used to cover “Down in the Hole” by the Rolling Stones and “Silver Machine” by Hawkwind. But those songs fell off the repertoire once I had enough original material to play.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Cocaine Titans (dark grind), The Ghost Republic (death rock), BC Binge (electropunk), Killer Hearts (sleaze rock), and Self Checkout Renaissance (post punk). Very different bands, but they are each absolutely committed to their aesthetic and craft both on and off stage.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

I suppose it’s putting on my makeup – mainly because that’s when I have time to get it done. There is something relaxing about the process and spending the time quietly focused on makeup design and layering.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?


Exploring new coffee shops and picking up a bag or two of fresh beans from new places. I also like hiking and (when possible) riding my bike on new trails. Since I’m a solo act, I can comfortably pack my bike along with my music gear into one vehicle… although some tours don’t allow for that kind of off-time.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Being away from my sons.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

So far, I like the Dallas/Fort Worth area (especially Denton) and the Chicago area. Looking forward to discovering more places to add to this list!

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

I once performed at a house that was ALSO a meth lab. Did not know it at the time and it was pretty fucking nuts on so many levels (fist-fights, guns, and overall people weirdness)

 

The year is 2006. Where are you and what are you listening to?

 

In 2006, I was living in Houston and finishing up my Masters degree studies. Probably listening to a lot of recordings by John Zorn and Arthur Rubinstein because their music (while quite different from each other) was great for helping me to focus on my studies.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Keep writing. Keep writing new music, lyrics, and ideas because one day you’re going to need that inspiration again! Also, please consult with an entertainment attorney if you’re truly serious about a career in music.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

No, not yet.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Sad Sad Sad Fest. I’d stack the lineup with comedians and make sure the bands were of diverse styles from each other.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

A full shower type of bathing? Six days. I was on a long hike in Oregon and really didn’t need a shower during that time.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

If I told you, then most people would know.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?


I’ll ask the next time I see one.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time. What album will it be?

 

That kind of happened to me in the mid-90s. I was moving across country (Washington, DC to San Francisco) and my copy of Tago Mago by Can was stuck in the cassette player. Oh yeah!

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far. What is the title of that Book?

 

Interesting bathrooms I have known across the world.

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

Dopesmoker.

 

Queens of the Stone Age or Eagles of Death Metal (if you had to choose)?

 

Choose for what, the guillotine?

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Yes.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Firefly.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

I have a Grateful Dead shirt that’s super comfy and I wear often.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Indian food. Gimmie that curry!!

 

Favorite books?

 

I don’t have a singular favorite as I read voraciously, but here’s what’s on my current pile of reading material:

 

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin

The History of Rome by Livy

The Deportees by Roddy Doyle

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

… and any edition of McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern from McSweeney’s.

 

Favorite movie?


My favorite director is Akira Kurosawa – and I have pretty much all of his movies on DVD. Each one becomes a favorite after I watch it.

 

Favorite albums?

 

Albums that I will happily listen to all the way through over and over again include:

Quadrophenia by The Who

You Are What You Is by Frank Zappa

Ishumar by Toumast

King of all Spaceheads by Terminal Cheesecake

Then Play On by Fleetwood Mac

 

Favorite video game?

 

Super Mario Odyssey

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Paul Bearer

 

 

     Huge thanks to Paul for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  If you are reading this then you should pick up a copy of Era of the Inauthentic immediately if not sooner.  It is a rollicking good time.  You will want to get your ass up and move!   

 

-El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://artificialheadrecords.bandcamp.com/album/era-of-the-inauthentic

Comments