A Fistful Of Questions With Alex Risberg From 10,000 Years

     Bassist.  Vocalist.  KISS enthusiast.  Movie buff!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Alex Risberg of 10,000 Years. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Alex Risberg

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

My friends call me Ala. I sometimes refer to myself as the A-Train, much to the chagrin of my significant other.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

10,000 Years

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Guitar. If it was electric or acoustic I can’t remember, but probably an acoustic of some kind.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Listening to “Greatest Kiss” with my little brother on my dads living room floor when we were kids. Blew my mind. Been a member of the Kiss Army ever since.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

S.I.N.

 

Tell me about the genesis of 10,000 Years. 

 

Erik (Palm, guitars) texted me one day and said he had some riffs and asked if I wanted to jam. So we met up and played some stuff with only bass and guitar and we thought that “man, this stuff is too good to not do anything with”. So we started looking for a drummer and the first guy we tried out was Espen (Karlsen) and everything just clicked right away during the first jam.

 

What inspired the name 10,000 Years?

 

We wanted something original but that also kind of describes what the band sounds like, or the vibe of it. We took a page out of the Electric Wizard-book and started looking among song titles of bands that we love and one band we all have loved for a long time is High On Fire. We felt that 10,000 Years was an original, and kind of weird, name for a band and it really resonated with us.

 

How long did it take you to write and record III?

 

We started writing and jamming new stuff pretty much right after we recorded “II”, which was in February 2021. When we felt we had the right amount of songs we went back to the studio in January 2022 and the recording itself was done in three days.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?



I wouldn’t want to insert myself into another band. I want to form my own bands and play stuff that I’ve been a part of writing and that I love.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

No, not really. I don’t really think about music in those kinds of terms. I can be impressed with a song or an album and think it’s fucking amazing and love it and be like “wow, they fucking nailed it”, but not wish that I myself made it, y’know? I’m pretty happy with what I’ve actually made myself.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Not at the moment. But it would be neat to do some kind of acoustic solo stuff, or maybe one-man drone with only bass and some fuzz pedals.

 

Is there a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

Not off the top of my head, but then again I’m not much interested in doing covers. Something by The Band or Blue Öyster Cult probably.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

When we opened for Baroness with Pike back in 2012. Extremely tight and professional all the while raging all over the place. Even their soundcheck kicked ass!

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

No, not really. As long as the other bands are cool, the beer’s cold and the crowd digs it, it doesn’t really matter where we play.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Nothing besides having a couple of beers

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

We haven’t done any touring, so I really couldn’t say. But when it comes to playing live it’s cool to see other towns and meet new people.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?



Like I said, we haven’t done any touring. But crappy food’s never fun when out and about.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Again, no touring, but Stockholm is always a cool place to play.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

I’m just gonna stop answering these, haha.

 

The year is 2006.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

Probably at home or at a friends house blasting some Maiden or Metallica

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Don’t care about what other people say or what kind of music is popular. Play and write what YOU love.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Assholes in general, I guess

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

No. We don’t work like that. If we all don’t love a song we won’t pursue it further and it won’t make it to the studio at all.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

10,000 Years, High On Fire and Mastodon would be headlining and it would be called 10,000 Beers Fest since it would be to celebrate the launch of our own brand of beer.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Probably like a week, ten days, or something like that.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I’ve written a screenplay for a splatter movie. Never made it out of my drawer, though.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Yup!

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

They probably sleep the same way horses do. Standing up for naps and laying down for REM-sleep.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?



“King Of The Road” by Fu Manchu.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

So Far, So Good

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

“Bad Blood”, but it has to be the remix featuring Kendrick Lamar.

 

Ghost or Mastodon (if you had to choose)?

 

Is that even a question? Mastodon, hands down.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

I like a good doobie as much as the next guy, but boobies will always win.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Trek

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Probably my Sleep one with the Tony Iommi/sphinx design. Bought it in 2012 on their first show ever in Sweden and have worn it pretty much to bits.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Burger & fries

 

Favorite book?

 

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne

 

Favorite movie?



Terminator 2: Judgment Day is my go-to answer, it’s probably the greatest movie ever made. But I love a lot of movies: Planet Of The Apes, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Apocalypse Now, The Lord Of The Rings-trilogy, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, Blade Runner, Alien, the list could go on.

 

Favorite album?

 

Rock And Roll Over by Kiss

 

 

     Massive thank you to Alex for taking the time to answer my questions.  Especially the touring questions.  I appreciate it!  If you lot are looking for a phenomenal listen (and why wouldn’t you be?) then look no further than 10,000 Years' new album III.  I am listening now and this one is pure fire!  Pre-orders are up now courtesy of Interstellar Smoke Records.  Splatter violet vinyl.  Epic cover artwork.  Do not think.  Just pre-order now!  You know I would never steer you wrong.  DO IT! 

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show) 

 

 

https://interstellarsmokerecords1.bandcamp.com/album/iii-2 (pre-order link)

 

https://10000years.bandcamp.com/album/iii  (tracks available from new album for listening)

Comments

Alex Risberg said…
I misread one of the questions… I thought it said ”Do you have any non-metal musical ASPIRATIONS”, not ”inspirations”. Of those I have quite a few; Ramones, Misfits, Dylan, Springsteen, Rolling Stones and The Band, to name but a few.