A Ripple Conversation With Kristina Stazaker

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphanies since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

My musical epiphany was when I was about 14 discovering PJ Harvey. It was the first time, when I had heard a female vocalist that not only resonated with me and my vocal style but that showed me that women can write in different styles and write songs which are angry, passionate and sly all at once. She displayed such power to me and I remember thinking ‘I can sing like this and it's OK’. She has been a constant source of inspiration to me.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

I write my lyrics first and the guitar follows. I don’t plan structure or time signatures, I just feel where I should go - even if my musical friends say it doesn’t work.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Again PJ Harvey has been my major influence. What I love is how she inspired me when I was a teenager and continues to inspire me as a 36 year old female. She empowers me if I feel ‘am i too old?’ and she reassures me that you can change style whenever the hell you want to. She is a true collaborator too which is a passion of mine.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

Without sounding too hippy, I look at nature and human behaviour. I look for stories and tales of the changes in the seasons, the range of human emotions and how things change all the time. I love looking at the old and ancient and using that to draw on my lyrics and song style. One of the songs on my latest album really reflects this. It is called ‘The Barley Grows’. It was important to me to write a song about how the fields we see are not a true reflection of what they should be - we have been used to seeing these box-shaped structures where every wheat row is measurable with a ruler. This isn’t the case - the land would’ve had no structure, been rugged and nature would determine what it looks like - not the tractor. It sounds abstract but nature really inspires me.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

Southend-on-Sea is a haven for live music - particularly the open mic scene. I am a product of this town for sure. The music scene over the last 10 years has been boosted by the now-sadly-closed pub, the Railway Hotel - which I played countless times now in some form. The music styles are so different in Southend and anyone is accepted. This has given me the courage to write different songs and try different styles.

 

Where'd the band name come from?


It is my birth name

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Oh Lord of the Rings for sure or some other mythical fantasy epic!

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Bjork  - Army of Me.

This song for me is a hidden gem - the people who know it, never forget it. It strikes a chord in all of the people it resonates with. It represents to me that women can fight back and I am sure every person who recognizes this track - also imagines someone in their minds who they would sing it to!

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Well, not as a solo artist, but in a band I play in, this story is quite funny. I was due to play in New York in January 2019 and 3 weeks before performing I broke my hand. I shattered my bone and had to have a permanent titanium plate fitted with lots of pins. How I got that injury, is another story! I was absolutely determined to go to the states and play the gigs. I did two warm up gigs where I had a step-in guitarist with me on stage and we jointly played the guitar at the same time (there are videos on the internet of this..) and I did lots of physiotherapy. The time came, I flew to America and performed in Brooklyn without my cast on.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?



Playing live scares the hell out of me, I won’t lie. But the experience of seeing my fans enjoying the music - particularly when they sing along - makes every moment priceless.

 

What makes a great song?

 

Raw emotion to me - I love the sound of pure raw lyrics where you know the singer has personally experienced this emotion and isn't scared to tell their fans and the public.

 

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

I’d love to have been able to sing along to the album “Les Retrouvailles” written by the french composer Yann Tiersen. I am in love with his musical style - it is raw, erratic and dynamic. Yann isn’t afraid to approach any style and I love that.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I am particularly proud of the song called ‘Follow Me’ - it is the first track of the same titled album. I wrote it in the garden of Dial House, the home place of the punk band Crass. It was International Women's Day 2018 and I decided to take my garden down to one of the outbuilding sheds and write a song about the fights that women had in the past. The song is about a woman living in Ireland whose husband was dragged away by English soldiers and she was forced to suffer at their hands and then keep the family going.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Ren Stedman is a super talented singer-songwriter who simply blows me away every time I hear them play. They are a great singer, write songs with witty lyrics that don’t hold back and are simply fantastic at playing the guitar.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

I am actually a CD person but I really wish they could be more environmentally friendly. I find vinyl isn’t great for listening to music on the go and I find digital doesn’t showcase the artwork and album ‘feel’ that. I love to pop a cd in my van as I drive and sing along to the music really loud.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice


Whiskey but I have to be in the mood. I don’t like the peaty ones, but when i find one I love, its great on the rocks.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Again, I would recommend Ren Stedman from Essex and also David Woodcock - another extremely talented musician from Southend. There is a record shop called ‘Fives’ on Leigh Broadway which is great - I have actually played there twice for World Record Store Day.

 

What's next for the band?

 

My third studio album is currently being mastered and I will be releasing two singles from it this year. I am currently looking into doing a live collaboration recording of the ‘Follow Me’ album which was released in 2020 too.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Support live music venues folks!

 

Website:

www.kristina-stazaker.com

 

Social media URLS:

https://www.facebook.com/KristinaStazaker/

https://twitter.com/KStazakerMusic

https://www.instagram.com/kristinastazaker/

 

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2YouBB6J5hLNNmsslc6fbM

 

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCphbSqxqM8sD3sNsXuJSvRw

 

 

Comments