A Fistful Of Questions With Ricardo Jimenez From Extinction A.D.

     Wrestling fanatic.  Marvel enthusiast.  Gym rat!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Extinction A.D. frontman Ricardo Jimenez. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Ricardo Jimenez

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Rick, TR$, Goyle... I’m sure there's others that aren’t so flattering that I don’t know about too.

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

Well I answered prior, but I wish I had an alias of “on time bill payer” or “excessive money haver that doesn’t worry about spending $10 on a meal-man”

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Extinction A.D. is the active one. This is Hell is the not so active one. Other projects long lived or new are at different levels of concept or holding on by a thread.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

It's hard to remember what counts at this point between plastic guitars or broken hangers as drum sticks... I believe actual real ass instrument that I was able to cohesively make music from was the recorder. Everyone had a stint on the recorder in 3rd grade right? After that it has to be guitar. I had gotten a scaled down classical acoustic guitar that my mom bought for $85 and I took lessons on that for about 3 months or so when I was 12.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

I’ve told the story a million times about stressing out at 3 years old while watching the Def Leppard “Foolin” video over whether I actually loved the music or just thought the video was cool. Pyromania was my first favorite record so I guess I figured out quick it was the music that was most important. Early in my life The Beatles were always big in my household. Funny because as I got older and became a teenager I was all “Yo, fuck the Beatles, that shit sucks” as a burgeoning teenage metalhead does, but that was just a phase. The Beatles subconsciously influenced me and my songwriting in so many ways. I also remember distinctively the first time I saw the “Eyes of a Stranger” Queensryche video and then writing QUEENSRYCHE on my bedroom wall in pencil.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

I tried to get my friends in grade school to start a band with me called SLICK but none of us knew how to play anything even though I’d draw the logo everywhere with a super S. I did a rap group called Rude Ricky and The Rappers that did some performances in typical shitty 8 year old style. Handful of other ALMOST bands of that nature from metal or punk or rock but my first REAL band was a Hardcore Punk group called Subterfuge that I played drums in and we played for many years and I did my first touring with that band.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Extinction A.D.

 

Long story super short, I was burnt out of doing This is Hell on a few levels and wanted to start something new across the board. New direction, new position with me singing also and full on into the metal world. It took a few years to get our solid lineup together to what it is now but we’re on track.

 

What inspired the name Extinction A.D.?

 

Riffing on the idea that the creation of Christianity is the easiest route to human obliteration.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Culture of Violence?

 

In some ways the writing began in late 2015 and didn’t end until November 2021. We’re ALWAYS writing music so sometimes certain songs latch on to some other songs and become a batch despite the date of completion and that's how some of this record happened. On the other hand, we decided to break that mold this year and stop waiting on newer songs to get older ones out. We recorded and ditched a few songs on this record to include and re-enter the studio for some brand new songs. The recording began in early 2020 and had a giant covid gap until we went back and re-started in late 2021.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?


 

Minor Threat because that live energy and that musical energy and that thematic energy is the height of what I look for in music. Hard to not say Metallica because they're my favorite band and I’d love to be financially secure, but I’d rather be apart of the 1981 DC hardcore energy and admire Metallica from afar given the option.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it? If so...What was the song and artist?

 

I’ll stray away from naming either of the aforementioned bands just to keep things fresh and also because I’ve had that feeling a million times. The Big Takeover by Bad Brains is one of them. Finn Balor’s WWE entrance theme. Hollow by Integrity. Be All, End All by Anthrax.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

I mentioned the Beatles before. Obviously Punk and Hardcore are just as influential as Metal to me. There have been times where a nuance of a hip hop song have been hugely influential. NWA and Public Enemy are two of my favorite bands. Sometimes that nuance is overt if you know where to look for it, other times subtle as hell.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

I used to do metal versions of non metal songs all the time and sell them on big cartel. I started doing it for fun and then began taking requests for orders. I always wanted to do Losing My Religion by REM but was never able to nail it down and have it not turn to crap. I did “take on me” by aha for a buddy and I was never satisfied with it. I did “The Book Of Right On” by Joanna Newsom and I think that may have been my favorite to translate.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

There's been so many just in the past few months just from bands we’ve toured with. If I was straying from that I’d go with Lich King. We’ve known those dudes loosely for years but were able to have them play at home with us in November and really hang out a bit and they’ve gotten better and better with time. Absolutely crushing band and so much fun. Really excited for them to be on the tour with Vio-Lence and Coroner.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Black Sheep in Colorado Springs, CO. Red Room in Mesa, AZ. Hookup in Virginia Beach to name a few.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

As far as within the 30 minute window of getting up there I’ll smash a redbull, typically an 8oz sugar free and I’m good to go.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Playing shows 80%, working out with Tom 15%, leaving work 5%.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

The traveling isn’t fun to me anymore but the rest makes up for it. I like driving and hanging out, but I’d love a transporter to get into town at 5 each day and get back home after each show.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

San Diego & the greater Phoenix area. More-so for the weather. I can’t stand anything below 70 degrees anymore.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Last September after we left Full Terror Assault Fest the GPS took us down a dirt road into a corn field around midnight directly up to an uncrossable creek. It was legit a horror movie location where I was convinced Leatherface was gonna hop outta the crops and chainsaw Charlie the entire van. We were over a mile into the corn field with no lights and grazing trees and crossing redneck private property signs because we had nowhere to turn around. It all made sense for about 4 minutes, then no sense for about 10 until we realized we were making more bad decisions as the time progressed. We finally turned around and obviously nothing happened but it was fucking weird as hell.

 

The year is 2006. Where are you at and what are you listening to?



Touring all year with This is Hell across North America and Europe, listening to Metallica and Terror, watching John Cena’s first big run on my laptop at night and Batman the animated series on my iPod.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Have fun and take nothing for granted. Don’t be an asshole. Lift weights

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Drummers

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Yeah there are a few songs we’ve released with XAD that I wasn’t 100% about and that kind of lowers as time goes on. The song Procession Commence by This is Hell is a song I notoriously never liked. I mean, hey, its FINE, but I’d also be ok with never hearing it again.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Wrestlefest 88 - Metallica, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard BUT all the bands are not only tribute bands, but they’re all dressed as WWF wrestlers from 1988. Can’t be NWA, AWA, WCCW or any other promotion. Very specific.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

In my adult life... maybe 2 or 3 days on a long drive.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I loved the first go around of Sex and The City

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

That's a hard list to make brother, because I am religious when it comes to some wrestling and marvel related podcasts. In all honesty, I don’t know if ANY music podcast would scratch my top 10. And I’m always honest.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Being that Kofi Kingston was eliminated from this year's Royal Rumble in less than 2 minutes, I doubt it.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

And Justice For All

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far. What is the title of that book?



I know I’m stupid so how is everyone even dumber than me?

 

What is your favorite song by Danzig?

 

Her Black Wings

 

Exhorder or Cattle Decapitation (if you had to choose)?

 

Who says I have to choose?! Say it to my face

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Could be doobies or anything and I’m choosing anything. If I ever smell someone smoking and/or transporting weed ever again it’ll be too fucking soon. I’m sick of that shit. Drink a redbull and lift some weights instead of smoking garbage and pissing me off.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Literally impossible decision for me. That’s like asking me to choose between barbell curls and incline DB press. Yes, both in the same ARENA, but totally different things. And I need both.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Queensryche Empire shirt I got from Spencers in the smith haven mall in 1992. Still have it, still fits, barely a cohesive piece off fabric at this point

 

Favorite meal?

 

Kashi Lunch Special... sushi place in my area. 3 rolls, ginger salad, miso soup, $11.99 - Seared Tuna Scallion roll, Boston Roll, Shrimp tempura Roll

 

Favorite book?

 

American Hardcore (non fiction), Animal Farm (fiction) - extremely typical answers

 

Favorite movie?

 

Stressful question... gun to head, Pulp Fiction (Interviewers note..  I’m a little disappointed it wasn’t a movie with a wrestler in it)

 

Favorite album?

 

And Justice For All - Metallica

 

 

     Massive thank you to Ricardo/Rick/Goyle for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  If you’d like to blast some sonic fire straight into your ear canals (and why wouldn’t you?) then I highly, HIGHLY recommend that you grab yourself a copy of Culture of Violence immediately if not sooner.  

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente

 

 

https://open.spotify.com/album/6RLlW1OIKY7lpwu37ywZMw?si=47LILb_QRFeJW3sLwkKnUg

 

https://uniqueleader.indiemerch.com/collections/cds?filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&filter.p.vendor=Extinction+A.D.&sort_by=best-selling

Comments