A Ripple Conversation With Shannon Kerr aka Eight.Fold.Path!

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

Ooh, yeah, absolutely!

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

The first, biggest one was hearing Tom Sawyer, by Rush. I was in high school at a get-together, and circling the fringes as always, when this explosion of sound happened, and I literally felt it in my head at the same time! That first huge, sustained note had me stock still in awe, and as the song progressed it just got better and better. I went out of my way to find out who and what that was, and Moving Pictures was the first album I bought myself. It changed *everything* about what I thought music was or could be. It was the first time I thought to myself, “I have to do that!”

 

Later epiphanies were like, when I first heard Sevendust on the radio, that combo of heaviness and groove. The first time I heard Misha Mansion’s Bulb demos, it was so different than anything I knew about. The first time I saw the video for New Millennium Cyanide Christ, and got what they were doing, that was mind-blowing. Seeing Monuments live for the first time was awesome too, I was able to really hear just how much groove is baked in to those crazy riffs!

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

It does vary, but really, the music comes to me first, usually a riff or even just a rhythm. Once a riff feels solid, I’ll start programming drums, playing with different feels to see what I like. I might have a basic concept of what I want the song to be about, but lyrics always come last. I’ve tried writing lyrics first, but I can’t seem to make the connection from there to music, it only seems to work for me the other way around. But typically, one riff will suggest the next, which suggests the next, and eventually I’ve got something resembling a song! It’s like sculpting stone or wood: I get a rough shape (guitars and drums), then keep going back and refining it, getting the details in there. Lyrics and melody are usually last, though I’m working on them the whole time; it usually takes me a while to get them right!

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Oof, so many! The aforementioned Rush, Sevendust, Periphery, Meshuggah… not sure how much of that comes through in the music, but super inspirational. I’m also really inspired by Devin Townsend, his unrestrained approach to creativity and his transparency about his mental health have had a huge impact on me, internally at least! I’ve also been getting coached by Monica Strut from The Last Martyr, my whole approach to the music business has changed for the better because of her!

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

At this point, I’ve got more ideas than I can sort out! Not all of them are GOOD ideas, mind you, but the tank is pretty full. My biggest motivation is that I’m actually pursuing what I want, getting the ideas and feelings from inside me out into to world, and the excitement from that is all the motivation I need! Now, check me in ten years, let’s see if I’m still excited or if I get jaded (spoiler: I’ve got people who’ll gladly smack around if it happens)!

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

I agree 100%. I’ve been in the same city for a long time now, but my childhood was a lot of moving around, different cities and states. It made it hard to feel *from* somewhere, you know? So on the one hand, I feel like a ‘citizen of the world’ and connected to everyone everywhere, which is cool, but on the other hand, I always feel like an outsider, no matter where I am. It makes for a unique perspective, for sure, or at least maybe an interesting one, and one I really want to get across in what I do musically and lyrically.

 

Where'd the band name come from?


 

Eight.Fold.Path came from a combination of my appreciation for Buddhist philosophy, and my love of extended range instruments, specifically 8-string guitars! It seemed like a perfect fit, but I also wanted to make it not seem like I was doing yoga music, so I added the dots in between. Not that there’s anything wrong with yoga music, but mine is probably not ideal for quiet meditation!

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Oh man… something epic and aggressive that could be turned into (or was) a video game! Or, conversely, a film where epic metal would be be complete out of character… like a Disney film. Disney needs a metal princess! Basically I want to be Andrew Hulshult.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Hmm, another hard one. I’m torn between two, both from my 2021 EP ‘Alien’: “Alienation” or my cover of Tears for Fears “Mad World”. The former was the first track I felt successfully captured the themes I want to get across, musically and lyrically; it really gets down into the feeling of being the ultimate outsider. On the other hand, “Mad World” already had that built in, and I’m really happy how my version came out, very melancholy but also super heavy. Or I could talk about the single that’s about to come out… ;)

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Okay, this just happened recently: I’m also the drummer for the band Hinge Theory, and we had an opening gig back in January. I was a little leery given the Covid infection rates here, but I’m vaccinated and boosted, and wore my mask the whole time except while performing. I was one of the only ones in the whole place to do so (including my bandmates). You guessed it: I got Covid. The only one. Because of course I did. (It was no fun, but not so bad I needed hospitalization, thank vaccines!)

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

When performing with Hinge Theory, I try to make it as visually interesting as possible, especially since I’m the only one stationary the whole time! I’m no good at stick tricks, but I do my best! I’ve yet to perform any Eight.Fold.Path songs live, but when I do the same rule will apply. I figure, if a fan just wants to hear the music, they can stay home and listen; they come to a show to get more than that, are literally paying for it, and that makes it my job to provide something more than what they can get via Spotify.

 

What makes a great song?

 

Blues Traveler said it best: “It’s the hook that brings you back!” After that, it’s a matter of balancing expectations with surprises, tension and release, the familiar and the different. It’s a classic formula: minutes to learn, a lifetime to master!

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

It was a time when I was newly into therapy, unhappy and miserable in my life, and heavily into alt-acoustic music, especially Dave Matthews. I wrote, in a very short period of time, some acoustic songs that describe how I was feeling at the time. Those were the first real songs I wrote, where I followed through and made a complete piece of work. I’m really proud of them; maybe one day I’ll do the dreaded “acoustic album” and they’ll see the light of day!

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

Primarily, I’m proud that I’m *doing* it; it took a long time to get to this place. Beyond that, I’m satisfied with making each thing I do better than what came before. I learn a little more every time, so I can write better riffs, craft better lyrics, do better production. As long as I’m improving, I’m happy!

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

There is no shortage of amazing songwriters in ALL genres right now! I’m constantly coming across artists where I think “how much different is their brain, that they could come up with that?!” Those are the ones that blow me away, the ones where I could never, in a million years, come up with the things they do. Of course, the best part is, what *I* think makes a great song is going to be different than what the next person thinks, and we’d both be right! But I guess if I had to single out someone, I’d have to go with Devin Townsend, for his absolute unbridled mad creativity, his fearlessness in pursuing it, and for his ability to turn the weirdest idea into a fun catchy song that’ll stick in your head forever!

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

I’m a digital boy, all the way, not because I think it’s better, but because it’s more convenient. In the palm of my hand I have access to a literal world of music, and that’s more important to me than a diminishingly small audio quality difference. Having said that, I don’t judge anyone else’s preferences. I know folks for whom the experience around listening to music is as important as the music itself, and that’s why they love vinyl, and I totally get that. We can all co-habitate this world of music together! Except for CD’s. I don’t know anyone who likes CD’s.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice


 

Just between those? Whiskey all day (okay, not literally, my tolerance is like two shots total)! Mainly because I just can’t stand bitter flavors, at all. I mean, AT ALL.  And sour isn’t my favorite either, so that cuts out nearly every beer in existence. With a good whiskey, you’ve got a sweetness that’s layered with all kinds of possible flavors. Although, on the whole, I prefer a good tequila!

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

I’m currently based in Winston-Salem NC, and there’s been a NUMBER of cool record stores, but I’m not sure if any have survived the pandemic. The best, recently, was Underdog Records: small, but an incredible collection of popular, cool, and batshit random stuff!  If not here, though, I’d say let’s head up the road a couple of hours to Asheville, some absolutely amazing record stores there!

 

What's next for the band?

 

My next single, Fear, will be out on February 18th, along with a video I’m super stoked about! It’s absolutely building on the themes and ideas I started in the Alienation EP, pushing further into what it’s like to deal with crushing anxiety and choose to survive.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Just that I appreciate everyone taking the time to read this, especially all the way to the end! Making a life centered around music is a dream come true, and anyone who listens to my songs are the ones making it possible. I’m grateful and thankful for every listen, and if you like what you hear, definitely look me up on socials, my DM’s are always open!

Comments