A Sunday Conversation With Nate Davis

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music.

 

I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

I've definitely had a few. The first one that I can remember was when a family friend gave me a tape of The Doors Greatest Hits. My Dad listened to a lot of classical music, so this was the first time that I really got to hear rock and blues and just absolutely loved it. The next time was when All Eyez on Me by 2Pac came out. There was just this incredible energy and story telling that I was so taken with. After that, it would be sort of the heavier 90's rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine. They had incredible front men with so much energy. And then a little later, when I would work at my Mother's clothing store, I found a bunch of old Motown records and would play them all day in the store, and I just loved the passion and soul.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

It happens in all sorts of ways for me. Sometimes, I'll just have a melody idea in my head and I'll record it in voice notes on my phone and send it off to the guys to try to get a foundation of a song. Sometimes, I'll have an entire hook idea in my head. But, I would say that most of the time one of the guys or Jordan, who produced most of the songs on our album, will send something over that will create a vibe or an emotion. And, whatever feeling the music gives me, I'll start writing a story about.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

In life: my Mom and Dad. In music: it's come from everywhere. I don't know if there would be one artist or one person. There have been so many styles that I've loved listening to and so many people along the way who have worked with me or helped me in one way or another.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

I don't know if I ever look for inspiration. Life gives it to you. There are still songs inside of me, and I'll go through phases of the styles that I want to do, or the type of songs that I want to write. Right now, I've really settled into a bluesy pop/soul sound. But, just living this crazy life is enough for ideas, motivation, and inspiration. I think the collaboration with other producers and using song ideas from the band members keep it fresh. In a way, their new ideas and motivation create the inspiration.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

Well, there are sort of two home towns with this band. We're based in Atlanta, but I'm from Indianapolis, IN originally and that's where the idea for the group hatched after a good friend of mine, Jordan Hawley, invited me over to listen to some beats and music that he was working on. It was after I had decided that I wanted to go a different route musically from my old group, and it really spoke to me. So, a lot of the music was created because I was in a comfortable environment in my hometown. That continued in Atlanta where there's a lot of hip hop and R&B influence, but also you get a lot of country and blues here, as well. So, I think it sort of just expanded the soundscape that I was comfortable working within. There are elements of all of that I think in our music.

 

Where'd the band name come from?


 

The band name was just a concept that I had. I had decided to do a new record, and wanted it to have a merging of the old and the new and wanted the name to reflect that. I wanted it to feel soulful and timeless but have current pop elements, as well. I also knew that I wanted it to eventually become a band, but was unsure if that would ever happen, since it was just me and my producer Jordan at the time that we start writing, so I decided on Davis & The Love to describe my relationship with music. Me and the love of music and performing. Then the band pieces fell into place and I liked the positive vibe that we were putting out with the name in what seems to be such a negative world. So, Davis & The Love just stuck.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Oh, man. That's a great one. Some kind of action movie with a love story in it. Or maybe something Tarantino-esque.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?). You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

I'd probably go with "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger. It's just an incredible piece of writing and really captures the reality of life on the road, the feeling on the stage, and how quickly the moment is gone. There's some deep stuff in that record, especially if you're a musician.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Well, we always crank it to 11. There are so many moments that it's hard to narrow it down. I've tripped over a monitor and fell into the drums. I've had girls ask for autographs on different body parts. We've had cars break down on the road. I've been flashed by a guy while on stage. I've had a guitar player quit mid show and throw his guitar down. We were once playing a show with a window behind us looking at the street, and the audience gasped and we turned around and some drunk driver had plowed into our band van. I've been doing this a while...there's been a lot lol.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

I live for the experience of playing live. There is no greater feeling in the world and it's the rush that keeps you going and make it all worth it. I always want it to be the best show the fans have ever seen, even if they've seen 100 shows. I will always give them everything that I've got and try to make it a time worth remembering.

 

What makes a great song?

 

A great story. A great melody. Something that resonates with the listener.

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

I wrote a song in my High School band called, "Please Don't Go". We made a demo of it. It's terrible lol. But, it started the writing process and I kept going, so it was necessary. Song writing is a skill learned over time and you have to write a lot of them. Even if they just become poems in your notebook.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I am proud of every song off of our album "Future Retro Love Story" along with our new single "Change the World" and the new songs that we have coming out. I think this is the best stuff that I've ever written and I want to keep it going.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?



I like Muse, Bruno Mars, Anderson Paak. Muse just has these deep, powerful anthems. And, I think Bruno Mars can really write to any genre, but I like the funk and soul of it all. Adele, as well. Every one of hers hit hard.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

I would love to have a record on vinyl. Eventually, we will make that happen. I think that would be the best way to hear our stuff and really get why we do the sound that we do, and the best way to listen to music, period. Plus you can make it a work of art with the cover, and have the lyrics printed on it, etc. So, that would be my preference. However, it's so much easier and more cost effective to put out music digitally these days. It gives greater access to the independent artist.

 

Whiskey or beer? And defend your choice

 

Whiskey...it numbs the vocal chords so you can sing through the pain after multiple shows, and it gets your confidence up there faster than beer.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Atlanta, GA. Go to East Atlanta Village. There are a couple of great stores over there.

Comments