A Ripple Conversation With Sascha Blach From The Halo Trees

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

As a child I was a big metal head and at the age of 10 I was already listening to AC/DC, the Scorpions, Iron Maiden and Metallica. I've heard albums like "Highway To Hell" or "The Razor's Edge" a hundred times because I hardly had any music. That was in the early 90s and Spotify still far away. Later on, bands like Radiohead or Sigur Ros also triggered aha-effects and my horizon broadened more and more to many different styles.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

I usually already collect lyrics when I know I want to work on a new album. These are partly fragments, but partly also lyrics that end up on an album in their early form. Later on it goes to the songwriting independently. I usually start with a beat and think of two or three exciting chord sequences and improvise whatever comes up: voice, guitar, bass, synths. So the songs grow slowly and at some point I'll look through my lyrics collection and see what fits this musical framework. And then it keeps growing because the voice might make changes in the music necessary. It's an intuitive process. Afterwards the rest of the band gets the first demos and we keep working together.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

I can't name THAT one special artist. Every time has its influences. I used to love Jim Morrison, for example, and I think his lyrics influenced my lyrics too. Or The Beatles or Pink Floyd, but we don't sound like them. I think it's most beautiful when the music just flows and you don't really think about influences. Like tapping into a spiritual source.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

New instruments or sound libraries can be of great help, as can breaking musical rules, e.g. using unusual takes or alienating classic chord progressions by using chords that don't actually belong in them. Motivation, on the other hand, is never a problem. If I had the chance, I would make a new album every month. But unfortunately I don't have the time for that because we don't live from music.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

I could name two or three lyrics that are influenced by Berlin, but I think the music wouldn't sound any different if we lived somewhere in the country. But Berlin of course has the advantage that there are many musicians and clubs here and also the music industry is located here.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

From obsessive considerations. I like the poetic note and that it opens up a wide field for lyrics. The trees, whose roots represent a connection to the earth, and the branches that reach far into the sky. There is something earthly and metaphysical about it at the same time.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

It would have to be a film that doesn't exist yet. Let's say the next film of Tarantino, whatever it will be like.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?). You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Since I've been working as a music journalist for various magazines myself for many years, I have to say: I write about the topics that the editorial offices offer me and I am not picky about them. And mostly it's articles about albums, not songs. If I had to choose, it would be a classic, because I wouldn't think of too many songs. Maybe "The End" from The Doors?

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans? 


 

Even though I've been making music for a long time, The Halo Trees are still quite a new band. We released our debut "Antennas To The Sky" in 2019 and then played a few shows and when it was supposed to go on, Corona came along. Therefore, our live history is still very short and I hope that I can answer this question better in the future.

 

What makes a great song?

 

It can be a great melody, an interesting groove, an exciting chord sequence, great lyrics, an unusual element or a fantastic production - or best of all, all of them together. I just have to be able to sink into it. In the end, the feeling has to be right.

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

I wrote many songs already as a child. "Songs" in a naive sense. It was lyrics that I screamed in a childlike voice and drummed - I had real drums back then – or played guitar. And I recorded everything with a cassette recorder. At that time I wrote several dozen songs. But it is better that these are not in circulation, haha. But well, obviously the urge to make music was already there.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

It's hard to pick just one. But if I had to choose just one I'd take “Invisible”, the opener of our new album “Summergloom”. It's a song I couldn't copy because it just happened in a special way and everything just fits perfectly (in my view). Here it is:

https://youtu.be/VUnNUEI3pPc 

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

I'm always amazed at how Paul McCartney has managed to keep releasing first-class albums for 50 years and more without repeating himself. If I had the choice, when I am almost 80 I would love to make such great music as he does.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

When I work, I listen to music via streaming, but for really intense listening, I prefer vinyl and CDs. I notice that I'm buying fewer records than before because, for example, my car no longer even has a CD player and I often don't have the time to relax in the living room, but I still try to buy important albums on CD or vinyl.

 

Whiskey or beer? And defend your choice

 

I have to defend my choice? Oha (laughs). Well, it's very simple. I don't drink a lot of alcohol, but when I do, I drink beer and wine 99% of the time. I've never had access to whiskey, but maybe it's because I never got hold of the really expensive, good brands? Beer is somehow easier ... and more diverse.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Berlin/Germany and I have to admit that I don't know all the record stores here, but Vinyl-A-Go-Go, Hardwax or Dodo Beach might be good as a starting point.

 

What's next for the band? 

 

We have just released our new album "Summergloom" and are already working on new material, so hopefully there will be something new next year. At least we are not only busy at the promo front, but also in the studio.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

If you like melancholic indie rock with a rather deep voice, give us a listen.

 

Here's where our new album is available:

 

https://spotify.thehalotrees.com/link/6w5r2s The four singles and video clips that can be seen and heard here give a first impression: Leave No Fear: https://youtu.be/r4VKLY7HsVA Dark Clouds Over London: https://youtu.be/7QltWC1JZi8 Invisible: https://youtu.be/VUnNUEI3pPc Birdsong: https://youtu.be/o2laEW0v_7I

Comments