A Ripple Conversation With John Parry

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphanies since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Wow, How many bedrooms did your house have? When I was a kid my house was void of music, my parents were PRETTY christian at the time, so it was only Christian rock for me. Carman’s ‘Satan, Bite The Dust’ was a family favourite.

 

My epiphany came later in life and was when I heard Slaves, I was already writing songs acoustically but my mind was blown wide open to Punk and the fact people like having a good time when they hear music and that lesson has stayed with me.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

I used to write songs without writing anything down and if I remembered it, it must have been a good tune.

 

Now, it starts with an experience, a story or emotion I’ve processed - that is then paired with a chord progression and energy that comes over me.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Musically, Slaves and personally, Brandon Novak his 60 minute piece… unsure if you can call it that? But his story confirmed a lot of things I already knew for me, for the better!

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

It’s weird, I never look. It finds me… it’s bad in a way but I know when I have to write, I can write. I wish I was signed or won the lottery so I could do it every day. That’s when the geezer Sheeran would have to watch out.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?


 

I come from East London, so probably explains some of the straight-to-the-point, don’t chat sh*t vibe to my music and attitude.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

My Dad, John Parry, very unimaginatively. 

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

If the American Office ever made a movie, it would be the wrong demographic for me, would be sick.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Ahh mate, I’d go for a Michael Jackson tune and try and find out if there’s any underlying weird sh*t going on. I imagine there’s plenty. Just done a google search of his songs.. Have fun.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Now I’m sober the highlight is meeting supporters of the cause, before we’d just grab a bag and chat nonsense about aliens and “how this was all meant to be”.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Sweaty, emotional, intense and a good bloody time.

 

What makes a great song?



A good song I believe needs a good story!

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

Idles An act of joy as resistance - come off it, it’s just mental.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I hold myself to a very high standard when it comes to the lyrics and in Good Grief I’m very, very proud of being able to tell that story, and tell it well.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

A guy I went to college with called Ashley Signh, still up-and-coming but he’s crazY.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

I love a little bit of Analog but if it wasn’t for the old d i g i t a l, my workouts would be null filled with the groans of trying gentlemen.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Neither, I’ve been sober for coming up to two-years. If I had either, I’d be off for the week, rehearsing some ‘lines’ and dealing with the aftermath of the bender. Haha.

 

Nothing against anyone who does though, I bloody miss it - I just can’t control it so I have to stay well away, so do you have any Pepsi Max going?

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

I’d head to rough trade in Shoredtich. Lovely bit of the world that is on a Sunday.

 

What's next for the band?

 

Who knows, could you put in a good word to Universal? Would love a record deal.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Nothing, just thank you for having me Ripple Effect, giving small acts like me the time of day really progresses and keeps this industry going. Thank you.

 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2CTrNlatEgrWYms3dmyE3D?si=eEm39pLCQaSTBIRjeA4eHQ

 

https://instagram.com/_johnparry?utm_medium=copy_link

Comments