A Ripple Conversation With Annie Shaw Of Smiling

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears. What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

When I was a baby my parents discovered that when I was upset if they played Talking Heads I would stop crying. One day visiting family on the east coast, I was at the beach and dug into the sand, found the water and quoted “Once in A Lifetime.” That was around the age of two.

 

Fast forward to my second Nick Cave show...I was sitting at the Greek entranced by Cat Power’s opening set. Towards the end I felt the mushrooms I’d eaten start to kick in. My brain lit up and I realized we had a small window to walk right up to the front row and see Nick perform from there. We did, and that show changed me. To be part of, and witness, an audience go through such a slew of emotions opened me up to different artistic sides of myself I hadn’t been feeding. If it weren’t for that show a lot of music I’ve made in the last five or so years wouldn’t exist. I have a lot of songs waiting to be set free.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

The song originates from my instrument or out of the air. It’s pinged to my antenna and I try to channel it. My own psyche gets mixed in and voila a song.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Definitely my subconscious mind.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

There’s a whole sea of reflections and the echos go on forever. I’m also the kind of person with what I’d call a hard North Star. 

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about your hometown and how that reflects in the music?


 

I grew up fast in Denver thanks to the punk scene and my own bad decisions among other things. When I was a kid I went to shows and let everything out. Now I let it out in the music so others can let it out at the shows.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

I’ve let my dark freak flag fly for so long, I needed a little balance. Duality rules.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

My friend Josh Menashe and I just scored a feature film called Laguna Ave under our moniker Premium Destiny. We’re gearing up to score another one and release some of our songs this year. I wouldn’t want to redo a classic score but I am looking forward to doing more originals!

 

You now write for a music publication.  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

There's a reason I'm not a music journalist because heck, I can't think of one song.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

There was a gig where Josh Pollock (who played on Devour) rocked himself right off the stage. I didn’t find out till after…It happened another time on tour too, I don’t remember where. Both times he kept thrashing and didn’t skip a beat. The guy goes so hard he literally threw himself off the stage twice! Just imagine a wizard aggressively casting a spell and blasting off.

 

Also there was this one time in Michigan on tour with Against Me! & Frank Iero. The whole tour all the bands and crew had been collecting fireworks. Grand Rapids was our last stop before Canada so we had to set them off. We stood in a huge circle lighting them in the middle and saved the best for last. Turned out to be a big blue 13 shot with a snowmobile graphic and a tiny fuse that I had purchased from a shack somewhere along the way. The first shot was majestic. The  second shot knocked the whole thing on it’s side and just like that we were INSIDE the fireworks. It was a technicolor war zone. We almost blew up our van. Then there were 11 more shots. Minor injuries for some but no regrets.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?



Live shows are a chance to create an electric energetic exchange between the performer and the audience. When that happens it’s magic, and it’s always what I intend to do.

 

What makes a great song?

 

Perspective.

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

I wrote my first song on harmonica when I discovered what music is. I was very small. There’s a video...I look to be about 2. My parents helped me connect the word music to the sound of music. I very openly have the realization that there is this thing that can move you emotionally and physically; it’s called music and I can make it. So I did a dance and played my first song.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

Any song that makes it out of my room!

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Adrianne Lenker writes great songs and would definitely beat me in a fight. Her lyrics stand alone as monumental without her music. In combination I’m floored.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Vinyl but the record player broke so it’s been cassettes in the house lately.

 

Whiskey or Beer? 

 

Tequila. It’s the only alcohol that’s an upper. I love Whiskey but it’s number 3 now. Sake’s 2

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?


 

Wax trax in Denver, Colorado if it still exists.

 

What's next for the band?

 

We're ready to hit the road after the storm passes. Shows and touring! For now we’re rehearsing a lot and writing a second record.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Film is my second love. I made little movies with my friends growing up so I’m at it again making the music videos for Smiling. As for wave riding check out my friend the legendary Chloe Buckley surfing in the Forgetful Sam video.

Comments