A Ripple Conversation With Alice SK

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Great questions. So one moment come to mind when I think of a musical epiphany moment. On the same kind of road as your musical moment, when I first watched a video of Neil Young perform ‘Like a Hurricane’ , I was so blown away by firstly the insane stage presence that he held, and secondly that amazing electric guitar that runs throughout the track and then gives you this insane solo, that I went and picked up my brothers guitar and knew I had to learn it. Watching that made me realise how you can be completely hypnotised by music and by a stage and has made me want to chase that ever since.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

It really varies from song to song to be honest. I wish I was more organised and had a full on writing process but its usually a few lines will come to me and I’ll sit down at a keyboard and with my guitar and try and make a story from those lyrics. As I’m trying to write more and more, I’m trying to get into a proper routine of sitting down at the keyboard, putting together a chord sequence and then lyrics to it but really my favourite songs I’ve written have been when a melody and a sentence pops into my head and then I try go with that.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Influences include all types from Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, for their soulful and flowing vocals to the strokes and other circa 2000 indie rock bands for their guitar riffs and performance. Folk side of things Joni Mitchell , Dylan, Neil Young have been massive influences. Kurt Vile and Courtney Barnett.  I love more current rock and indie music which just from listening to a lot has definitely played a big part in the way I write over the last few years.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

I just try to listen to as much music as possible, different bands, genres, global. For new ideas I think people watching is quite a good trick, there’s a story everywhere for every person and place and so meeting new people and seeing new places to draw from usually does it for me.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

Sadly my hometown isn’t the most mental of places to be writing about, it was a very sweet town in Wiltshire with some great people. Not loads happened there to be honest apart from chilling at the bus stop or in the park on a Friday night when you were underage. It was in the most beautiful countryside though and that's always a big inspo so be around nature and long walks. My music is quite chilled and calm most of the time so that’s probably how it would best reflect my hometown.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

Short n simple, just my name. Might mix it up one of these days though , who knows!

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Nomadland. Such a beautiful film and shots. I’m not sure I could do the film justice and the soundtrack is already amazing but I would certainly try my best.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?


 

American Pie is actually first that comes to mind. Even though it’s that classic sing-along tune, the lyrics are so interesting and it was written at such a defining time period I feel like there’s so much to pick apart from the track. It seems more like a story than a song.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Playing live for me is what it’s all about. Especially coming out of the last two years where we’ve been so isolated from each other its so great to be back on a stage taking and sharing energy with a crowd. It’s a performance at the end of the day and just as much about creating a report and interest with the crowd as it is music itself.

 

What makes a great song?

 

Something that you can relate to and have a full understanding with. Whether that's through the lyrics or by getting caught up in the melodies and riffs of a track.

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Every song gives something different to offer and has some lovely lyrics, melodies or vocals. I’m a big beach boys fan and love to sing their songs as covers already.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I think out of the upcoming EP my favourite track is ‘Another Girls Man’ Another Girls Man (which was released a few months back) was written in lockdown and was a great track for me to just release all pent up emotion about love, hurt, pain and put it into the music and lyrics.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Billie Eilish, especially her new album, is so sick. The music is super modern but also not experimental enough that it wouldn’t appeal to old school classics fans. She’s honest in her lyrics as well and has obviously completely smashed it at such a young age. Just one of many current musicians who comes to mind.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Vinyl to listen to if you’re chilling at home with an album and a glass of wine but digital is obviously great as you have so much choice at the drop of a hat.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Beer all the way, can’t go wrong with a cold pint at the end of a long hard day.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Marlborugh is my hometown and Sound Knowledge is your place for records! It’s an amazing independent record store that has all sorts, everything you’d need to sort you out musically and they also get some great artists to perform there. When I was growing up I saw some wicked bands there.

 

What's next for the band?

 

Getting ready for a few gigs. We’re playing a gig at the troubadour in November which will be a nice one to play and then I’m releasing my next single ‘Run Away’ in about a month. Full EP ‘Electric’ will be out early next year too, so we’ve got quite a lot to look forward to!

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Just keep up the listens, streams and keep an eye out for the EP release! I’ve been doing a mad amount of writing recently and trying to mix up genres and styles as well so if its not yet your thing, hopefully there’s guna be something for you soon.

 

Please supply all social media URL's at the end of the interview answers

 

Instagram - @Aliceskmusic

Facebook - @Aliceskmusic

Twitter - @Aliceskmusic

Comments