A Fistful Of Questions With Duncan Evans

     Vocalist.  Guitarist.  Writer/Reviewer.  Podcaster.  One-time game enthusiast!?  New Dad!  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Mr. Duncan Evans. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Duncan Evans.

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

I used to be called Henry Hyde Bronsdon when I was a member of A Forest of Stars. I also have a project called Moonlow for which I use the pseudonym Dust.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

At the moment I am most active with my solo work, under my own name. I do have a band that I work with, and we’ll be starting up rehearsals soon for the next record and for some live shows. We play dark folk / post-punk melancholy music that often gets compared to the work of Nick Cave, Low, Leonard Cohen and Emma Ruth Rundle.

 

I have also released music over the past year or so with two new projects: WaxWorm (heavy dark electronic / industrial music) and Moonlow (apocalyptic noise poetry).

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Well, I remember being offered a wood block to hit in school assembly when I was about 4 years old. I beat the living daylight out of the thing at a breakneck pace with no regard for rhythm, metre or anything else. I guess I enjoyed the experience, chaotic and unmusical as it was.

 

Soon afterwards I took recorder lessons in school. I didn’t understand any of it, and soon resorted to pretending to play whilst those around me were able apparently to effortlessly glide through renditions of whatever ridiculous nonsense we were supposed to be playing.

 

Aged about 8, I started keyboard lessons after a friend of mine had started them and seemed to enjoy them. This time it seemed to make a lot more sense. I learned the basics of reading music and I even practiced, occasionally. I always had more fun making up my own stuff than playing the tired, generic and lifeless material they tried to make us play.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Well, I remember being on long car journeys with my parents and being able to get lost in the music they played on cassettes. There was an Eric Clapton greatest hits and Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. I loved them both, and found myself endlessly occupied by the images and emotions that the music conjured up.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?


 

I can’t remember the name of the band, but when I was 12 a few school-mates got together and made some dreadful noise for a while. The first song I wrote for the band was called “Distortion” and told a murderous story of revenge set in a hi-fi store following the purchase of faulty audio equipment. The band soon disintegrated, but I had the bug and I never really stopped after that.

 

Tell me about the genesis of your split with Wilderness Hymnal. 

 

I had a few songs without homes that I wanted to put out in some form, perhaps as an EP. Some of them had originally been conceived as soundtracks for theatre pieces I had worked on, but I felt that they deserved a life beyond that.

 

It was actually a friend of mine who happens to work with Ripple Music that suggested I release these songs as a split.

 

At some point I put out a social media post asking people who I should do a split with, and one of the names suggested was Wilderness Hymnal. I checked out his stuff and liked it immediately.

 

I got in contact, and it was Javier who first suggested that we work on a collaborative song - which became “Three Temper’. Once the working relationship was established I mooted the idea of the split album.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Until Liars Fear You?

 

That’s not a simple question to answer, because some of the songs had been around for a while and had been used in different forms for theatre soundtracks. Deadheading and Breath were written specifically for the album though, and the others were all reworked in some fashion before being included. I think Javier and I started working on the collaborative track towards the end of 2019, and we finished the album mastering and artwork in spring 2021.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Probably Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, because I love the way they rework the songs every time and it seems as though the members have a lot of freedom to interpret and improvise within the structure of the songs.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

No, I’ve never wished I’d written anyone else’s songs. I don’t really understand that concept.

 

Who are some of your metal musical inspirations?

 

Metal-wise I like “blackgaze” bands like Alcest or Sylvaine, some post-rock / post-hardcore such as my friends DVNE, and some classic metal like Iron Maiden.

 

Name a metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?


 

I don’t really have a burning desire to do a cover of a metal song. I mean, Tori Amos’ cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit (yes, I know Nirvana are not metal) is inspirational, but I think one has to tread very carefully when taking very heavy music out of its context and presenting what can end up being an inferior “lighter” version. Maybe one day I’ll make it happen.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Sylvaine were great at Damnation Festival in Leeds. They’re led by Kathrine Shepard AKA Sylvaine, a Norwegian singer-songwriter, and they play a kind of dark and dreamy shoegaze with some black metal thrown in.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

I love the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds. Everyone should visit if they’re around.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

I warm up my voice and try to recite any lyrics in my head that I think I might forget. I make sure I’ve eaten a decent meal an hour or two in advance.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

I love meeting people, and I really enjoy being focused only on performing and not much else. When you know you’re going to be able to get lost in the music every night, none of the usual nonsense that occupies our minds seems to matter so much.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

It’s invariably impossible to get more than a few hours’ sleep each night, which takes it out of you.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Edinburgh is always great. There’s something inspiring about the place and the scene there is always very welcoming.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Possibly the time when we arrived at the show (in Edinburgh, coincidentally), and it turned out that the venue had been converted into a noodle bar with no warning. Not even the promoter had been notified. We played a chaotic and brilliant acoustic house show instead.

 

The year is 1997.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

Probably sitting at home in my parents’ house listening to Oasis’ new album Be Here Now.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Do what you love to do and don’t get too hung up on who’s listening or what they think about it.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Getting bogged down in arguments about insignificant stuff that no-one outside the band would care about.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?


 

Cheese Fest. all the bands have to have “Cheese” in their names. Black Sabbath with Ozzy will reform and headline, but the audience will be small because they have to re-name themselves “Cheese Crew”.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Er… Probably about three days when I used to camp at festivals.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I co-wrote the theme tunes to a couple of national TV shows in the UK.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

If Jamey’s still paying me what we agreed then the answer is a big yes! Oh, the deal’s fallen through? Fistful of who now?

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

It’s entirely plausible.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

I’m going to go with The Glowing Man by SWANS. It’s a long one, and it’s one to get lost in whilst it reveals a little more of itself on each listen.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

I really have no idea. At all.

 

That above phrase can be the title.

 

Would you rather bathe in a tub of marshmallow creme or bathe in the sonic sounds of Marshmello?

 

I’m going to go with the creme. It sounds quite soothing. I mean, the music might be soothing too, but I feel that the creme is the safer option. I’d have to have a good shower afterwards though.

 

What is your favorite song by Morrissey?

 

Well, putting Morrissey’s despicable politics to one side for a moment, I do like The Smiths. “How Soon is Now” is wonderful atmospherically and as a piece of songwriting.

 

Duran Duran or Depeche Mode (if you had to choose)?

 

Depeche Mode. I like them! Duran Duran are not so much my thing.

 

The Young Ones or Mr. Bean (if you had to choose)?

 

The Young Ones! I used to love Mr Bean when I was a kid though.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

I’m going to answer on behalf of our baby daughter, who is very much into the latter of the two at the moment.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes! With sugar and lemon juice please.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

I never got properly into Star Trek, but I do like Star Wars a lot, in spite of the silliness of it all.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?



I like the (now sadly-defunct Leeds hardcore band) Canvas one that I’m wearing right now.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Curry. By a mile. Usually lamb and okra with chapatis and mushroom rice.

 

Favorite book?

 

I love All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. I must re-read it at some point.

 

Favorite movie?

 

Loads of ‘em. But I’m going to go with Drive.

 

Favorite album?

 

It’s really hard to pick just one. I always go back to Front Parlour Ballads by Richard Thompson. It’s very un-metal and I love it.

 

     Massive thanks to the musically prolific Duncan Evans for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Duncan’s releases never cease to amaze me.  They vary stylistically, but they are always captivating in their own way.  If you’ve yet to do so please plug yourself into the life force known as Duncan Evans… a.k.a. WaxWorm.. and Moonlow.  You can thank me later.  

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://duncan-evans.bandcamp.com/

https://moonlow.bandcamp.com/album/who-are-you

https://waxwormband.bandcamp.com/album/mea-kulpa

Comments