A Ripple Conversation With Korsunnuz

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

I’d have to cite “low” by Bowie for really opening me up to the possibilities music offers. It tore up the rule book and I love that. “Bullhead” by melvins for showing heavy can be not necessarily metal.

 

Also “the action is go” by Fu Manchu for reminding me that this kinda music can be just crazy fun.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Korsunnuz is all about the groove. It all starts with having a feel that has motion within it. We wanna be heavy but we want people to tap their feet..

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Other than the epiphanies mentioned. I do love josh homme and his various bands. It’s stoner sure but there’s a post punk thing going on there. A different range of influences and an emotional range .

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

Well cinema for sure. You may detect George millers fury road getting referenced allot. And that is a standout film of the last 20 years. Not the most art house choice perhaps but I love it.

 

There is a bit of escapism in the lyrics too I’ll admit that. Dare I say a midlife crisis ? But America had a profound impact on me. And I love my big American cars. Sure it’s a bit juvenile but that’s done with self awareness.

 

Thrown into the mix is a love for weird pulp fiction like hp lovecraft despite his world view being dubious at best.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

Personally I’m from Sheffield. Not called steel city for nothing. But three of us were in a London band about 2000 or so and there’s still a bit of London eccentricity to balance things out.

 

Sheffield though is very very dear to me personally and it has an amazing history of music for a small city. And a very schizophrenic one. Sure we had def leppard and now BMTH but we’ve also had cabaret Voltaire and drenge.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

It’s Turkish for “you are blind” but phonetically it evolved from a conversation about how heavy metals are created in the core of an exploding sun.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?


 

Tough one. I’m so scarred by the ghosts of Mars soundtrack that I wonder how to answer. I mean I love John carpenter and I love anthrax but that made me question how heavy rock could work in cinema.

 

That said I could see us on the soundtrack to something grindhouse-y. Like death proof . Something very tongue in cheek.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Probably “show myself out” as that’s a song about personal tragedy and my own battle with depression and anxiety. It’s a cathartic piece and a contrast to our otherwise escapist tone.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Corridor surfing in Austria. This involves huge amounts of fairy liquid and admittedly cocaine. It was a while back.

 

Rob green across America. This involved recreating a football howler in front of American landmarks.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Wear ear protection. Take that as you will .

 

What makes a great song?

 

Economy. Groove. Hooks. Attitude.

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

Superunknown by soundgarden. It’s perfect start to finish. It takes risks and they all work.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I’m never satisfied. I think that’s the way to be. Humility is how you get better.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

I mentioned ghost. But huge props to royal blood too. My favourite current band are all them witches. I’d love to have half their ability and feel.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Well vinyl does have a certain smell. Does that sound crazy. It has a way of evoking memory. My first purchase were on vinyl. So maybe it brings back that first love moment.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice


 

Beer does pile the pounds on. But whiskey can have an effect on the old liver and pancreas and the rest. Either case quality over quantity is what we aspire to but so often fail at.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Record junkee are the obvious choice. They have a nifty venue too with some killer bands.

 

What's next for the band?

 

Blood, tears, toil and sweat.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Music is it’s own reward. Love and peace to all people. Remember. It’s just a ride.

 


Comments

Jason said…
That interview was down right informative. I actually purchased their latest album during the last Bandcamp Friday, it has yet to hit the shores.