A Fistful Of Questions With Galina Rin

     Vocalist.  Guitarist.  Twitcher.  Sci-Fi enthusiast!  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Galina Rin from Death Ingloria and the Sci-Fi Hi Fi show on Twitch. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Galina Rin

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

No

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

Our Lady Death

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Death Ingloria

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Zither

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

I'm from a house of instruments, mostly medieval. I was always picking up something and giving it a twang.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Rizo - college band. Pop punk teenage anger.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Death Ingloria. 

 

I've been trying to start a band for years. Refined and changed the concept until I hit upon the special sauce to which all my life is now pointed.

 

What inspired the name Death Ingloria?

 

I create rock music, Comic art and Animation about the end of Humanity. Literally exploring the inglorious ways in which Humanity can cause its own Death.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Death Ingloria II:  Death by Admin?

 

It was written before the world exploded and was delayed a year. It was probably written over a year or so.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

This question gets asked a lot and my answer is always the same. None. I'm in the band that's right for me. All others are someone else's path.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?


 

Not a song but a lead guitar line. Carrion by ParkWay Drive. There's just something that moves me in that one guitar riff. It calls to me and sounds like something I would have written at the time it came out.

 

Who are some of your musical inspirations?

 

Skunk Anansie, Tool, The Cranberries.

 

What is a metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

I made a metal cover of an Alanis Morrisette song once but I prefer to cover Grunge songs, if I must do a cover, just because my voice suits the style better. Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana is currently the favourite.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

I supported Chasing Dragons before they split and they were awesome.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Nottingham Rock City. It's always held a special place in my heart. In London it's the Electrowerks. They just had a referb and it has amazing production for a small cap show.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Don't die. Usually works.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

I love traveling and performing. The rest is just waiting for those two things to happen :)

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Sometimes you get caught short with food and sometimes you find yourself out late at night with no tasty food options. I keep a jar of emergency peanut butter in the van which is plenty to get you through the drive to motorway services if needs be.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Edinburgh is the best and coolest city in Europe,followed swiftly by Berlin.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Nothing weird happens to us now but I used to be a back line tech and tour manager for other bands and I once took a band member to casualty because of a vegan lasagna. Who knew people were allergic to the fungus in fake meat! There are far weirder stories than that but I can't tell them on the grounds that I would incriminate myself.

 

The year is 1993.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 


 

I'm in a bedsit in Bangor N.Ireland and I'm listening to Nirvana.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

As much as people strive for a good work/life balance this job is 9 - 9 min. If you love it, it won't feel like work and only do it if you love it.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Other humans

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Happy Death Time Special

 

Rotting Christ

Death 

Tool

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

God I don't know. I've spent a long time being miserable in my life and self maintenance is usually the first thing to go.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

When I was 15 I unloaded nuclear warheads from a Sea King helicopter hovering above the deck of an aircraft carrier in the Bay of Biscay in a force 5 gale. True story.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Haha yes of course. We miss you on our live stream show Sci Fi Hi Fi. You don't come round anymore. Maybe we should have you on there?

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

No, of course not. They are just fancy horses.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Long drives need music I can sing to and also keep me awake so it's probably going to be a best of 90s Grunge/Nu Metal Spotify playlist. No one album is going to cover that.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

What A Waste. 40 years of fuck all.

 

What is your favorite song by The Rolling Stones?

 

Who?

 

Bauhaus or The Cure (if you had to choose)?

 

The Cure

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Neither. In fact, someone can have mine. I have no need for them.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

They are the same but different. Both.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Trek obviously,

 

Star Wars is not a Sci Fi.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Thuum. Amazing band, not around anymore.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Chips and beans. Ramen noodles.

 

Favorite book?

 

Stranger in a strange land by Robert Heinlein

 

Favorite movie?

 

Aliens

 

Favorite album?

 

Don't have one. I have many.

 

 

     Big thanks to Galina for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Be sure to check out Death Ingloria’s latest release Death Ingloria II:  Death By Admin over on Bandcamp.  You can purchase it digitally or there are a couple of really cool bundles available. 

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson host of the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

 

https://deathingloria.bandcamp.com/album/death-ingloria-ii-death-by-admin-mini-album-and-comic

Comments