A Ripple Conversation With Jay, Bass Player For Norfolk Based Alt-Rock Sextuplet Kingdom Keys

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

For me personally, it was the first time I heard prog-rock giants Rush. I’d joined my first band as a vocalist in high school but got stood up at the first rehearsal. I was stuck at school and had no way of getting home. There was a drum kit and some sticks and in about an hour and a half, I’d taught myself enough to confidently proclaim myself a drummer to my dad. He corrected me when he picked me up… “No son, THIS is a drummer”. He hit play on Limelight and it was an awakening. I knew then I needed to learn all I could on every instrument. Although I’m a drummer first I play bass in Kingdom Keys. That first rehearsal was also a musical epiphany for me. After years of being in various bands of all sizes, empty shows to sold-out tours, it was like all of that was leading to this moment where it just felt right.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Sam (vocals, guitar) is an absolute machine. He gets these kind of fully formed visions and then the writing process is translating what that vision is. We all have a hand in the process but really from inception to finished product he is the rock we cling to and I consider myself incredibly lucky to work with someone who just has “it”.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Personally, I grew up in a musical house but without any musicians. My old man is a true music enthusiast so I was raised on a diet of classic rock. As I grew older and saw other projects fell apart I realized it isn’t like it was back in the ’70s and my attention turned instead to bands like Biffy Clyro. So much respect for how they’ve managed to cater their sound for a wider audience whilst not alienating the die-hard fans. That’s true talent… and the fact they are nice guys as well only makes it better.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?


 

I think the ideas for ‘Violence & Virtue’ largely came from Sam’s journey over the period we were writing. From relationships to discontent with social media it all helped to inject this sense of real emotion. As for motivation I think it’s mainly pride in this release but we are brothers. We love like brothers, fight like brothers and push each other up the hill when we need to.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

We are all from West Norfolk and surrounding areas. We are thankfully blessed with a bustling and vibrant scene. Maybe it’s the dreariness of King’s Lynn but there is talent in spades. It’s a sleepy corner of the world dominated by charity shops and takeaways. There is one promoter in particular (Twisted Melon Promotions) who is trying to carry the local scene on his shoulders and is doing a fantastic job of putting the area on the map…. And failing all that there’s always Deaf Havana!

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

It’s a line from the opening track to our debut EP ‘Beyond What You See’. It was kind of a working title that just stuck. That line jumped out at us all. It was the first thing we wrote together and really informed what Kingdom Keys needed to be.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

We specialize in the epic so would have to be some kind of big epic thriller or a Bond theme! I would LOVE to do one but more in the style of A-ha than Billie Eilish.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

I would want to pick a band I love that more people should listen to… so maybe something by Fatherson? Picking just one track would be damn near impossible but under pressure I’ll say ‘Ghost’.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?


 

I’m definitely one of the sensible one so not too many spinal tap moments but definitely my fair share of embarrassing ones including a rather unfortunate involuntary bowel movement on tour with an old band… second song… into a 45 minute set! I also once ate a bee on stage which stung my mouth pretty badly! I was singing my first vocal at a festival during my first gig with the band. Their old bass player was stood in the front row watching the hilarity unfold. I ended up looking like Will Smith in Hitch! I often ask myself if you can train kamikaze bees… these are the things that keep me up at night!

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

What’s playing live? That feels like the only answer to that right now! We can’t wait to get back to the stage but for us we took a bit of an unofficial hiatus of sorts so the wait has been going on long before COVID. For the fans I’m sure they will be able to feel just how special it would be to be doing the thing we love again, playing live!

 

What makes a great song?

 

It’s all about the chorus! Clear, catchy… hook the listener in then deliver on those big , full melodies. Emotion is everything as well. Every song will have some kind of emotion in it whatever that may be. Celebrate those feelings for better or for worse. If the track is the truth then that’s all you need.

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

I think to be involved on a Tool record would be pretty rad as we are all massive fans! To say we’d had even a small part to play on 10,000 days would be insane. Even one note, which obviously would stick out like a sore thumb amongst such phenomenal musicians!

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?


 

Eidolon from the new record has fast become a favourite within the band. It’s complex, the time signatures switch up a few times and there’s such a pay off when that chorus hits. The last chorus gives me goosebumps just hearing and feeling Sam’s delivery. He has some serious pipes on him!

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

I’m a massive fan of Biffy Clyro and their transition from spit and saw dust loud aggressive band to stadium filling, radio rock act. I feel like they’ve progressed in a way that hasn’t alienated their fan base and only garnered the respect they deserve. Another guy that has repeatedly left me stunned is Newcastle’s favourite son Sam Fender. In terms of indie pop songs he just has it! ‘Poundshop Kardashians’ makes my end of year most played list without fail every year (along with ‘Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes’… Dad life!)

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Nothing beats holding a physical release and nothing feels more physical than 12 inches of your favourite band on wax. (Keep those minds clean people!) I’d love to get ‘Violence & Virtue’ pressed just so I can have a copy but in the wake of COVID there’s such a backlog on orders. Maybe one day if there’s enough interest in a small batch pressing we’ll get it done.

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Beer… I had a bad night on whiskey once when I was much younger. Nasty home brand white label stuff from the local off-license. In isolation it was already a bad choice but coupled with the large amount of butterscotch Angel Delight it made for not a pretty sight. I’ve been off Whiskey for the most part ever since! I can’t speak for the rest of the guys though! I guess I’m the designated driver!

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

I guess King’s Lynn would be our base but apart from HMV there’s not much in the way of record stores. Norwich is the county’s capital and has a fantastic community of musicians, consumers and record stores. The Norwich Lanes are home to some great independent places like Sound Clash that are worth checking out. In King’s Lynn however we do have a couple of really supportive radio stations that get behind local talent in a big way, KL1 Radio and Radio West Norfolk.

 

What's next for the band?


 

Shows! Shows and more shows! We have been away from the stage for much longer than this COVID business so we are itching to play these songs live. We have a couple of gigs booked including a special acoustic set with Dead Reynolds for their album launch which is being compared by Alex Baker from Kerrang! radio. We also have a few tracks that didn’t make the album that we might do something with down the line with some alternative versions from the record. It took 5 years since our EP to release the album so let’s not get ahead of ourselves on that one!

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

The response to the album has been mind blowing, overwhelming and damn right incredible! To those that accepted us back after so long away we want to say thank you and to anybody checking us out for the first time welcome to the family! We’ll see you all very soon!…

 

www.facebook.com/Kingdomkeysband

www.Instagram.com/kingdomkeysband

www.twitter.com/kingdomkeysband

https://youtube.com/c/KingdomKeysBand


Comments