A Ripple Conversation With MOSES

Matthew McCrilly (Drums), James Creighton (Bass), Otta Bayley (Guitar), Victor M. Moses (Vocals)

 

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments, MOSES?

 

Matthew:  "Learning and listening to jazz and fusion music."

 

Victor:  "My dad was a huge fan of disco music so in our house you didn't hear that much rock & roll, but I remember  the first time my best friend at that time showed me a video of Rage Against The Machine playing live. I was blown away. I was just speechless. We looked at each other and said "let's start a band" - which we did. I was like sixteen, seventeen..."

 

James:  "For me, during us writing the song ‘Who Needs the Money’ - the communication between band members linking our ideas together was something special."

 

Otta:  "Playing on stage for the first time under the colourful lights I decided that this was what I wanted to do from that point on."

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. How does it all fall into place?

 

James: "Harmony and then melody, although I believe it is vital to be aware of the importance of all instruments and sections."

 

Matthew: "Usually comes from a raw idea of a melody line or a chord sequence and then we build upon that."

 

Otta: "I write songs in different ways, sometimes a recorded guitar riff that I keep adding to, sometimes a bass line or even a drum pattern on the logic drummer, once I’ve got a structure down I try to make each section as unique and re-listenable as possible by adding different layers, it could be hard panned left or right guitar parts, harmonies, synth parts, or even sounds recorded with a dynamic mic."

 

Victor: "For me , most of the times it's the melody. Like 97% of cases. Then I record that and bring it with lyrics."

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Otta: "When I was ten, I got the Red Hot Chilli Peppers 'Californication' CD, I never heard anything like it before and was soon singing along to all the lyrics. That definitely had a big impact on me and I think there’s something magical about all those albums. Later I got into heavier bands like Nirvana, Motörhead, Black Sabbath. At sixteen, I started listening to Flying Lotus and Larry Fisherman, which inspired me to make a collection of trip-hop, lofi and experimental beats under the name Civillan.

 

I’m currently listening to bands like Cage The Elephant, Liily, Artic Monkeys, Tokyo Tea Room, Queens Of The Stone Age... but I’m not sure what’s inspiring me now. I just start playing and see what comes out."

 

Victor : "My favourite band of all time is The Clash. I was massively influenced by them.  Definitely, the energy that I have on stage is also from them. I remember a friend* showed me a video of The Clash live. The energy on stage - it was just another level!  That stuck with me even since." - *Yes it was the same guy, his name is Andy :)

 

Matthew : "Steve Gadd, John Bonham, Tony Williams, Danny Carey, Tomas Haake. Drummers who are unique and have their own voice."

 

James:  "When I was a fourteen years old I watched a documentary on classic rock band, The Who. Specifically John Entwhistle's bass solo on 'My Generation'. This inspired me to pick up the bass and call to my musical awakening." 

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?


 

James : "Memories inspire me both positive and negative, putting things in perspective to your past is important for me."

 

Matthew: "I usually find starting from a place of nothing and from within myself is the best place. I get motivation from all the other parts of my life like nature, books and movement."

 

Otta: "I try to stay positive (and lots of coffee)-  and just keep going with an idea and see what happens."

 

Victor: "The most cliché answer, I'm sorry: Life."

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music

 

Matthew: "Well it all began in London, Waterloo to be exact! Just like the city itself, our music is bold, in your face, loud but also with a sense of grace and humility in moments."

 

Victor: "What can you say about London? It's just the perfect place to be if you love rock'n'roll music. It's history, its places, its people, its heritage..."

 

You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Victor: "My favourite song of all time is "Train In Vain" by The Clash but in my opinion, the best song ever written is "Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones.

 

I would definitely write a 1000 word essay about this song from what it meant for the society at that time, the story behind the song, how they wrote it, how they called the amazing Merry Clayton at 3am to record her epic vocal part and how she was not even the first choice, etc..."

 

Matthew: "Steely Dan - Babylon Sisters. Super sophisticated, sleek, musical experience and the pinnacle of their songwriting."

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

Victor: "It's actually my surname and we really liked the way it sounds:)"

 

What makes a great song?

 

Victor: "So many things. In my opinion a great melody is the main ingredient for a great song. That's it."

 

Matthew: "That's very subjective, but for me catchy, original, sleek, could be simple, could be very complicated."

 

Otta : "I think anything that makes you feel something is a great song."

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?


 

Victor : "London Calling by The Clash  firstly because it's the greatest album ever and because the songs are so diverse and different and that shows so much of their writing skills and passion for the music. I'm not into one song bands"

 

Matthew: "Jeff Buckley - Grace. Would have loved to play drums on it dont know if i would have done it justice but to perform with Jeff Buckley would be heaven!"

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Matthew: "The Room cause just imagine how fucked up and terrible that would be? haha"

 

Victor: "As cheesy as it may sound, I would write the sound track for a James Bond movie."

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Matthew: "Love playing live because I feel very at ease and can truly express myself and more in the moment, vibing off fans and the audience."

 

Victor: "For me, playing live, 99% of the time is the best thing ever, even better than sex and if you have your fans singing with you it's like touching the sky - literally touching the sky!"

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

Victor: "I'm very proud of the lyrics i wrote for "Joy".

 

I don't see myself as this amazing lyricist but on that song I think I felt I did an amazing job and I'm really proud of those lyrics - really proud and happy."

 

Otta: "Some of my unreleased music I quite enjoy listening to but for released right now it’s probably Baby Blue"

 

Matthew: "All of it!"

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?


 

Matthew: "In my opinion not many artists these days, I would say Beck, Kendrick Lamar."

 

Victor: "There are loads of new bands with great songs from Fontaines D.C., The Blinders, Calva Louise and Spring King to Black Honey and Yonaka...Because of simply a great melody, a great riff, a great mood or great lyrics... loads of reasons."

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Matthew: "Vinyl preferably but Spotify is so easy to use!"

 

Otta: "I only really listen to music when travelling with earphones, so digital."

 

Victor: "Mine, to be honest, is vinyl, because I don't know... when you listen to vinyl you just feel a part of it - and that's a wonderful feeling."

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?



 

Matthew: "Unfortunately don't have a record store in my town, it's quite rural!"

 

Victor: "My home town is Bucharest; there's this place which is actually a big book store but it has a music section with loads of cool vinyl and stuff it's called Carturesti.

 

So when you go to Bucharest visiting Carturesti book store is a must."

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Matthew: "Beer cause its way lighter, easier to drink and offers a wider range of flavors."

 

Otta: "Beer to keep you going for longer"

 

Victor: "I don't drink alcohol at all."

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

James: "Once at a gig an un-named member of the band accidentally set the venue fire alarm off ten minutes before we were meant to play! It is safe to say the venue manager was not happy" :D

 

Matthew: "The time I was drunk at a record label party, got naked in a hot tub and lost my clothes for half an hour when they were right below my feet the whole time!"

 

What's next for the band?

 

Victor: "Loads of great things. More new releases, hopefully gigs and - yeah, stay tuned and you'll find out!"

 

Matt: "World domination!"

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?


 

Victor: "Just keep going, be nice and give, always give!!!"

 

#thatbandMOSES live:

 

18/07 Croydon #SNCFest (All Ages/Free Entry) Recreation Ground SE25 6TG

21/08 London The Grace (14+) headline

03/09 Birmingham Sunflower Lounge (16+) headline

09/09 Brighton Prince Albert - headline

18/09 Manchester Gullivers - headline

25/09 Leeds Lending Room - headline

06/11 London  #GhostRoadFest

 

Spotify - https://shorturl.at/hlqxB

https://www.instagram.com/mosesofficialpage

https://www.facebook.com/MosesOfficialPage

https://twitter.com/mosesofficialuk

https://www.tiktok.com/@mosesofficialuk

Comments

musicallyfelt said…
Many thanks, a great read.