A Ripple Conversation With Amber, Michael, Harry, And Noah Of Polarized Eyes

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Amber: I think I really got into this kind of music when I first started listening to Yungblud.

Michael: I saw this documentary about on the BBC about punk music that had X-Ray Spex playing on a show with John Peel. It was a really amazing performance and Poly Styrene’s voice was really cool and that’s what switched me on to punk music.

Harry: I was about 10 when Queen came on the radio and I was like, wow – music really exists.

Noah: Mine was really young when I heard Human by The Killers and I used to stand on the chair and belt it out when I was about 3.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

N: It depends on the song. We’ll come to band with an idea and then it’ll span out from there, but it could start with a riff or lyrics or just a concept.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

A: Well, we’d have to say our parents I suppose

N: I’d say Joe Talbot – his live performances are really explosive and I love that Idles are quite political

M: I guess for me it’s Damon Albarn

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

A: Politics mostly and what’s going on in the world

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

N: Well we’re from Barnet and that’s probably the least punk place you can find, so maybe we’re rebelling against that

 

Where'd the band name come from?


 

N: It’s a combination of two 21 Pilots songs – Glowing Eyes and Polarize, cos they were our favourite band when me and Amber started the band

M: No way – it that why Polarized has got a z?

N: Yeah, cos that’s how I thought it was actually spelt, but it’s not!

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

H: Lord of the Rings

A: No a horror film

N: No, wait we should do an action film. Like we’d be really good on a superhero film

A: Yes! Wonder Woman or Spiderman would be awesome.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

N: In our end of year exam at college there was one on heavy metal music, but I definitely wouldn’t write one on that. I reckon Mr Brightside would be a good one, cos then you could write about its influence on British culture and stuff. It’s one of those songs that all our mates know and all our parents do too, so it’s weird how it’s so popular for all generations.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

N: OK so none of us have seen Spinal Tap..erm I broke a door in the rehearsal studio once

H: Not in a rage though!

A: I think maybe it’s just getting out on a load of protests. You know, school strike for climate and BLM marches. Protests are the new rock n roll!

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

N: It’s a mad buzz. It’s all about energy creation and everyone gets really into it.

A: Yeah it’s so cool when you feel the energy building in the room and you lift the roof off!

 

What makes a great song?

 

A: I would say it’s the drive and the energy

H: Yeah and that magic thing when it can be really simple words or chords, but it all comes together into something brilliant.

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd writen or performed on, and why?

 

A: Ticket to my downfall by Machine Gun Kelly

N: YESSS!! That is such a good album and probably one of the biggest ones in the resurgence of punk music

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

N: I’m really proud of Just Kids. It’s not out yet so you’ll have to wait a bit to hear it unless you come and see us live, but it’s the first one we wrote after Michael joined the band and we love it.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

A: Slaves are awesome and it’s really impressive as they only have two people but they have such a fat sound

N: Yeah and they’re really political, but not in an obvious way

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?


 

M: Vinyl, definitely

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

A: Beer

N: Both of them are rank. Cider for me please

H: [in a very convincing Scots accent] Scotch. A good old Scotch. I’m lying, it’s fucking grim!

 

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

N: OK, there’s no record stores in Barnet, so we go to Camden

M: All Ages Records in Camden is a really cool punk record store and they have shows outside

 

What's next for the band?

 

N: More music, gigs and our first festivals later in the year, which we’re really excited about.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

N: Don’t do drugs kids!

 


Comments