A Fistful Of Questions With Mordian

     Vocalist.  Pianist.  Composer.  Chatterbox?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to the mysterious Mordian.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

My solo work, and operatic metal project DiAmorte.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Piano, I started taking lessons when I was four, and it’s been an anchor in my love of music.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

I remember trying to fall asleep to a Beethoven CD my mom put in the player in my room, but I couldn’t sleep because I was too interested in the music. It was also a stormy night.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Mordian. 

 

I started writing songs at a young age, music is pretty much the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do seriously, so here I am!

 

What inspired the name Mordian?

 

I like to say the name was given to me by the gods, but I just thought it sounded cool.

 

How long did it take you to write and record January’s Moon and when can we expect an ep or full-length album?

 

15 mins to write the first two parts, longer for the ending. Recording was a gradual process as the last half was during covid. I recorded all the vocals from the first two sections from home, that was new for me.

Another single coming soon, album is in the works. A long time coming and I am very eager to put it into the world.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

None, I like where I’m at currently.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Wintersun – Beyond the Dark Sun. Any Wintersun song for that matter. King Crimson – Epitaph. Many songs!

 

Who are some of your musical inspirations?

 

Danny Elfman, Insomnium, Dimmu Borgir, Elton John, hundreds of them, everyone I’ve ever listened to, truly.

 

Is there a metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

Quite a few, I actually have a few covers on the horizon, so keep your eyes peeled.

 

What band have you witnessed live that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Carach Angren. Seregor has a mesmerizing stage presence like no other I’ve witnessed to date.

 

The year is 2016.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 


 

Riding my bike down a trail in the woods close by. My tastes haven’t varied too much through the years, but I know that summer I listened to a lot of Death, Hatebreed, Motionless in White, and MGMT, but that’s just a few!

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Do what you love and feel is right in your heart, work hard, have fun, and most importantly never ever give up on your dreams!

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Inconsistency and/or poor spirits.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Electric Degenerate Carnival

 

Megadeth, Ensiferum, Ganja White Night.

Let’s make it weird.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

The last time I went camping, the showers on the grounds were pretty unwelcoming, so I let nature take its course for the weekend. No shame.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

Most people know me to be a bit shy, but catch me at the right time and I can talk for hours.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

I’ve recently started listening to more podcasts and yours is one of them!

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

If they wish so, but to my knowledge, most prefer to lie down while resting.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Chronicle: Greatest Hits.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

A Chronicle of Stories and Collection of Thoughts.

 

What is your favorite song by Billie Eilish?

 

The only songs I know are “You Should See Me in a Crown” and “Bad Guy”

It’s not on my to-do list to check more out, but maybe I will now.

 

The Smashing Pumpkins or Wilco (if you had to choose)?


 

Pumpkins, because of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. But I like Wilco too!

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Doobies. Both are cool though.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles!

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

I have yet to see Star Trek, so Star Wars.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Hard choice, I have to say my The Black Dahlia Murder Nocturnal 10 Year Anniversary tee is pretty sick.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Blackened Chicken & Tortellini, followed by Tiramisu.

 

Favorite book?

 

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

 

Favorite movie?

 

At this time, The Phantom of the Opera

 

Favorite album?

 

Children of Bodom – Hatebreeder is one of my favorites

 

 

     Huge thanks to Mordian for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Be sure to check out her new track January Moon.  Dark and enchanting January Moon is guaranteed to cast a spell on you. 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)


https://mordian.bandcamp.com/album/january-moon

https://youtu.be/ahcX_N2uZOk


Comments