A Fistful of Questions With Krista Shipperbottom of Lutharo

     Vocalist.  Ringer.  Classic rocker!  Former competitive gymnast?!  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Lutharo singer Krista Shipperbottom. 

 

 

What is your full name?

 

Krista Shipperbottom

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

No I do not

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

That is a question I can honestly say I’ve never asked myself. People always just assume my last name is fake so I guess I’ve had an alias all along.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Lutharo is my one and only!

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

The first instrument I learned to play was piano, but I shortly lost my patience with it.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

My first musical memories go back to very early childhood. There was always music playing in my house, mostly classic rock and I have been going to concerts since the age of five. It’s hard to pinpoint what my very first one was because music has always just been a part of me and I've been singing since I could speak.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Lutharo was and is my first and only band, however Lutharo was originally named “Incarnadine.”

 

Tell me about the genesis of Lutharo. 

 

Lutharo was formed back in high school by our guitarist Victor Bucur along with our original drummer and bass player. I joined shortly after specifically because the guys were looking for a female vocalist and since then it’s just been a non stop grind to fulfill our dream.

 

What inspired the name Lutharo?

 

“Lutharo” is actually an elvish word meaning “the enchanter.” Victor and myself are huge “Lord of the Rings” fans so we figured it was suitable.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Hiraeth?

 

Hiraeth took about a year give or take to write and record. Of course with the pandemic happening we had nothing but time to put into this album which has been a blessing in disguise.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Hmmm that’s a tough question.. I think I would have to choose “Arch Enemy.” Not only are they an extremely hard working band but their music and energy really resonates with me.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?


 

I can’t say I’ve thought that about an entire song, but maybe a melody or a lyrical passage.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

For sure! My two biggest would have to be “Beth Hart '' and “Lights”. Both female singer/ songwriters.

 

Non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of? 

 

That’s a tough one… maybe give me 3-5 business days to give you an answer.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Our friends in the band “Johnny Nocash” amaze me every time with their musical ability and live performance.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

I would have to say so far my favourite venue to play has been the Opera House in Toronto!

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Yes very much so! I always make sure to drink plenty of water, eat very healthy and plain the day of (no dairy or spicy foods). Also I will make sure to do breathing exercises, two sets of vocal warm ups and stretch my body about a half an hour before hitting the stage.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

My favourite thing about touring is definitely meeting new people and seeing new places but also knowing I’m getting paid to do what I absolutely love.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

100% the lack of sleep.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Honestly ANYWHERE in Europe. I can’t wait until we can finally tour there.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

There have been MULTIPLE weird experiences, but I think one I’ll never forget is staying in Montreal and the entire floor was slanted. You couldn’t put anything that didn’t have a good base on any surface because it would just roll away..

 

The year is 2000.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

Well I was in grade 1 so I was probably listening to a mixture of things from Britney Spears to classic rock. Also a lot of Blink 182 and Sum 41.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?


 

Don’t let anyone try to tell you that you won’t make it and you should just quit and get a “normal job”. You are being called to music for a reason, so stick to it and work your ass off!

 

What is an absolute killer band?

 

Parasite Inc. from Germany! They definitely need more recognition!

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

I’m not sure if this exists or not but I would probably name the festival “Hiraeth”. This is because once the festival is done this is the exact feeling you will feel. The headlining bands (if we’re talking strictly metal) would be “Black Sabbath”, “Iron Maiden” and “Jinjer”.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Yikes! That’s a little personal haha

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I was a competitive gymnast for years.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

It is now! ;)

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Unicorns don’t need sleep. Sleep is for the weak.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

“Jinjer’s” “Macro” or “Whitesnake” by “Whitesnake”.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

Most definitely “Wings of Agony”.

 

What is your favorite song by DeadMau5?

 

I only know like two of his songs so I’ll say “Sofi needs a Ladder”.

 

Paradise Lost or Crowbar (if you had to choose)?

 

I’m not too familiar with Paradise Lost so I’ll go with Crowbar.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies. No questions asked.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles!

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?


 

STAR WARS

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Oooo that’s a tough one. Probably my “Metallica” “Metal up your Ass” shirt.

 

Favorite meal?

 

I realize this isn’t a meal, but sour keys.

 

Favorite book?

 

This sounds terrible, but I couldn’t tell you. I haven’t had time to read in a very long time unfortunately.

 

Favorite movie?

 

The movie “Rock Star”! Hands down.

 

Favorite album?

 

“Black Sabbath” by “Black Sabbath”.

 

 

     Mucho, mucho thanks to Krista for taking the time to answer my questions.  Especially the personal ones.  Lol.  The new album from Lutharo will be available on October 15th and it is totally worth the wait  (it’s F-I-R-E), so keep those eyes peeled for it.  In the meantime you can wet your whistle with their previous release Wings of Agony. 


 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson the host of the Fistful of DOOM show)


https://lutharoband.bandcamp.com/


Comments