A Fistful of Questions With Michael Small Of Jaded Truth

     Ladies and gentlemen.  Boys and girls.  Children of all ages.  The next installment of Fistful of Questions goes out to Jaded Truth’s drummer Michael Small.  Please enjoy at your leisure. 

 

What is your full name?

 

My name is Michael Small.  I'm 33 years old. I live in St Johns Newfoundland & I play drums in Jaded Truth.

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

No

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

It would probably be "the breeze" haha.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

I play drums in Jaded Truth which is my main band. I'm also involved in the band Artach, which is a black metal project. And I recently started playing in Tower of Skulls, a death metal/sludge outfit.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

My first instrument was guitar. I couldn't really do much with it at first so a friend of mine who was a guitar player suggested I get drums so we could form a band.

This is at 15 or 16.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

I used to like songs on the radio growing up.

I wasn't really into music at a young age. As a teenager, my friend introduced me to a lot of bands. Like System of a Down, Nirvana, Opeth, so discovering those bands growing up really made a huge impact.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

My first ever band was called Touch n' Go. I was only playing drums for a couple weeks but we played a battle of bands and it was my first time on stage. I played in a band called "Miles and the mellow fellows"

It was pretty much a bar band, we played like Tom Petty and CCR.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Jaded Truth. 

 

Jaded truth formed after the demise of several bands. I knew Kyle & Aaron from the local music scene and when I heard they needed a drummer for a new band... I thought it was something we can work with.

 

What inspired the name Jaded Truth?

 

The name has several meanings.

We're all in our 30s... we've been playing music for a long time. We had so many bands breakup and bullshit. I think we got kind of "jaded" with the whole thing. 

 

How long did it take you to write and record Tsukimono?

 

I think we started May of 2020 and we were finished in January 2021.

So about 9 months.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Probably Nirvana. Just cuz I've always loved them. It would be cool songwriting with Kurt Cobain. Dave Grohl's drumming has always been a big inspiration to me. So I would replace Dave in Nirvana haha.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it? If so… What was the song and artist?


 

I don't really get that feeling from other people's music... but I'll say, a song like Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. So epic....

I wish I could have written all of that...

 

Do you have any non-rock/metal musical inspirations?

 

Yeah I used to be really into Gothic/industrial/electronic kind of music. I've always been a big fan of Hip Hop. Eminem and Tupac.

 

What’s a pop song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

I think Billie Eilish is pretty cool, but I don't think we could cover one of her songs. Sometimes I hear pop songs on the radio and I wonder would it work in a rock or metal perspective but it usually just ends up sounding ridiculous.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Definitely when i played in Winterhearth.

It's a really technically intense band.... the guys have some really huge chops.

They are still going strong! Their new album just got nominated for ECMA Music awards.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

I'm going to say "Plan B" used to be called CBTG's. It's like the punk bar of St John's.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

We usually jam before the show, just to tighten up the songs. Maybe a drink to loosen up and get in the zone... that's about it.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had at a show?

 

Again back to the Winterhearth days.

We played a show and the next morning I woke up with a rash on my arm at first but soon my arm swelled up and the doctor told me it was a blood clot. Really scary time... I couldn't play drums for over a year!

 

The year is 2002. Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

Well I'm in high school... So I’m listening to some Nirvana or Metallica or Megadeth. System of a Down they were huge for me in the 2000s.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Play shows. Record albums. Develop relationships with people in your scene.

A Lot more goes into the music business than just making music. You got to build a career step by step. Nothing happens overnight.

 

What is an absolute killer band?

 

I saw Slayer live before they retired, that was a dream of mine. But Anthrax played that show as well and really blew my mind.

Legendary bands.


 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

I would call it "Newf Fest" since we're from Newfoundland. And I'll say "Jaded Truth" will play it. Another cool band from St John's called "The Skeats" And "Disposition" another rock band, good friends of ours.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Probably 3 days at the most.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I'm a genius, but I'm trying to inform people.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Oh definitely! Thanks so much for the support without podcasts like yours, bands wouldn't be able to get their music heard.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Of course they do.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time. What album will it be?

 

I'd listen to our new album Tuskimono!

Come on, that's the only album you need haha.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far. What is the title of that book?

 

Probably like... "Grief & Suffering"  haha.

It would need a really depressing title for sure.

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

I really like that song "evermore" she put out.

It was a cool ballet. I can dig some Taylor.

 

Jane's Addiction or Primus (if you had to choose)?

 

Primus. The guys would hate me if I didn't choose Primus.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Come on, you can always have both.


 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

I'm going to say waffles for this one.

I might just go make some after this interview.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

I'm going to say Star Trek! I love Star Wars too, but to me Star Trek is just the ultimate Sci-Fi series.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

The Sisters of Mercy. They are a goth rock band from the UK. I found a shirt at a local thrift store and couldn't believe it.

 

Favorite meal?

 

In Newfoundland, we got a thing called "jiggs dinner" Google it! it's cool.

 

Favorite book?

 

"The Catcher In The Rye" had a big impact on me growing up. I don't read a lot of books honestly so I'll go with that one.

 

Favorite movie?

 

I'm really into film noir. Black n white movies in the 1940s. "Out of the past" is a really cool movie. Check it out!

 

Favorite album?

 

It's so hard to pick just one. I'm going to say The White Album by the Beatles.

 

 

 

     Massive thanks to Michael for taking the time to do the interview.  I appreciate it.  Jaded Truth’s latest album Tsukimono is now available for your listening pleasure.  It’s an album that is more than worthy of your time and money!  

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://jadedtruth.bandcamp.com/album/tsukimono


Comments