THE ROCKIT KING - “Fourth Turning” - (Sum-Hi, 2021, Grand Rapids, Michigan, US) -

Thanks to the wonders of receiving an advance copy, I’ve had this album for a few weeks now. But today, May 21, 2021 is the day “Fourth Turning” is officially birthed into the world, so I thought it also appropriate as the time to post my review.

 

I first became familiar with Michigan’s THE ROCKIT KING when I picked up a copy of their 2005 sophomore effort, “Saddle Up,” many moons ago. The bright, energetic hard rock, powerful mid-range vocals & serpentine dual lead guitars in songs like “Dead Eleven Days” & “Lonely Girl” drew me in like nobody’s business. I made an effort to contact vocalist Jessie Beveridge and he bestowed upon me the band’s debut “Day Late & A Dollar Short.” While not quite as rip-roaring as “Saddle Up,” it gave me a good perspective on the band’s (at that point) young history and the good feeling that theirs was a developing story & not a one shot deal.

 

But as we know, sometimes things don’t develop the way we’d anticipate. Me trying to cook is a perfect example of that. But I’ll leave that to my wife to explain another time. In THE ROCKIT KING’s case, my expectations were that I’d soon see a new album that pushed their evolution even further ahead. What actually happened was that time stretched out 9 years to 2014. It was at that point that I got word of a new (3rd) album & that the band was now pared to a 4-piece with guitarist Lou Musa being the only axeter. Having been enthralled with their earlier dual six-string histrionics, it was with more than a little trepidation that I slid that disc into the player. Imagine my glee when I came away from those listenings overjoyed. Not only did one guitar format work famously, but the songs were straight-up on fire. They laced both hook-laden melodies to the already killer riffs and Jessie Beveridge had upped his vocal ante considerably. Everything power pop to even a dash of heartfelt country swirled smoothly into the hard rawkin’ mix.  The upward trend had continued!



 

But...just to show me that, again, I have no future as a fortune teller, things would take another unexpected and fourth turn. After delivering a bristling live disc in 2016 (the shockingly entitled “Double Live”) it wouldn’t be until late 2020 that I heard of a new TRK studio effort coming down the pike the following year. And...while the lineup still featured Beveridge plus Kenny Roberts (drums) & Dan Cox (bass), guitarist Musa had been replaced by Anthony Mannino. Now you know me with guitarists. The world turns on an axis (bold as love?) of six slingers for good ol’ Ray. Still, Jessie assured me all would be good in the ass-kicking quotient, so I bided my time waiting.

 

Now here we are in 2021 and the new CD by THE ROCKIT KING, “Fourth Turning,” has been doing donuts in my disc player for a couple weeks. The verdict?  GUILTY OF RAWK!!! After just a few listens, it became obvious to me that this album is not only great but more than that. The band has taken everything good in their history and gathered it together. They’ve then somehow let that essence coalesce into a direct, sharp shock of an album that wraps up all the best of hard rock & ties it with a bow.

 

The opening track “Whoa U Know” is a perfect synthesis of all that’s on offer here. A combination of CHEAP TRICK & THIN LIZZY, with every ounce of respect to both of those gods. It’s that good. From there on, this is no easier to explain in words than is either “In Color” or “Johnny The Fox.” So I won’t try. What I will do is mention a few highlights among highlights. The rabble-rousing rhythms of “Lie Becomes.” The vocal portrait painted by Beveridge as he pours out his soul in “No Matter What.” Mannino’s nods to a laid back Scott Gorham as his guitar emotes “West Side Blues.”  The entire band rearing up like wild stallions in “Been Around” to bring it all home.

 

May 21, 2021 may be the birth of “Fourth Turning.”  But I’m happy to say that, after it’s gestation in my player the last few weeks, it’s in for a damn long life. Essential.

 

 

THE ROCKIT KING:


Jessie Beveridge - vox

Anthony Mannino - guitar

Dan Cox - bass

Kenny Roberts - drums


www.therockitking.com

 

 


Comments