Murdocks – III

It finally happened waveriders!  Yes, it’s true!  I can hardly believe it myself but Murdocks have released a new album!  How long have I been waiting for this music?  Well, my review of Murdocks’ previous record Distortionist appeared on this blog back in October of 2010.  After many, many playthroughs that album has cemented itself as one of my favorite releases ever.  My love for Distortionist knows no bounds!  Periodically I would check on the band’s facebook page in the hopes of discovering a message detailing new music being released and lo and behold my prayers were answered halfway through 2020.  The new album is entitled III and I immediately bought my copy.

 

Is III worth the wait?  Yes.  One hundred percent yes!  Why has it taken me months to write this review?  Good question.  As I previously stated Distortionist is one of my favorite albums of all time.  I have listened to my CD, my vinyl, and my digital copies of that record dozens of times.  Like many fanatics I try to keep my expectations regarding new music from my favorite bands in check, but inevitably end up letting them run wild.  Long story short, I needed some separation from my utter elation surrounding the release of III in order to properly review the music.  So what does this album sound like?

 

Murdocks produce highly melodic, yet incredibly aggressive alternative rock.  My mind always makes a connection to Weezer although most of these songs are at higher tempos and lead singer Franklin Morris doesn’t sound like Rivers Cuomo.  Basically when I listen to Murdocks I hear an extremely amped up, pissed off Weezer.  Your mileage may vary.  The production on this record is purposely abrasive but I’ve only suffered ear fatigue while boosting equalizer settings beyond the intended lively levels.  Default settings for the win!  


 

III is composed of eleven no-nonsense, take no prisoners tracks designed to delight and lay waste to the listener’s eardrums.  Album opener “Human Waste” fires up a commendable introductory salvo, but for me the proceedings really get under way beginning with the second track “Merry-Go-Sorry”.  The tempo and aggression go up and it leads perfectly into the crushing one-two punch of “One Way Out” and “Ocean”.  The main guitar riff in “One Way Out”?  Awesome!  “Girls In Graves” delivers a melancholic respite before Murdocks once more throw down the gauntlet with “Egocide”, “Pale Queen”, and “Shit City”.  By the by, “Pale Queen” is my favorite track on the album.  “Adeline” is III’s last breather and afterwards the album comes to a raucous end with “Sea Of Crises” and “Brave Men Rise”.  Beautiful, powerful stuff!

 

Waveriders I didn’t know, but I did believe that my patience with Murdocks would eventually be handsomely rewarded and here we are today!  III is a fantastic album and a worthy follow up to my beloved Distortionist.  If you are unfamiliar with Murdocks I fervently advise you to investigate the band and their music.  You will not be disappointed.

 

-Penfold

 

Comments