A Ripple Conversation With Phil From Sacred Shrines

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

There have been many over the years.  Reflecting over my life, I'd have to say one of the first ones was when I was about 7.  We had a strings teacher come around to our class at school and talk about learning an instrument.  I came home and told my folks I wanted to learn the violin.  I don't think I really wanted to play the violin in retrospect, but something about the idea of playing music was automatic for me.  I never questioned it.  It was always going to be in my life for some cosmic reason.  If she was playing the tuba, I probably would have come home and wanted to do that.  Thank god it wasn't the tuba!!!  I soon gave up the violin for drums, piano and eventually guitar. 

 

When I was very young, I remember having very strong opinions about the songs we would sing in church.  Even back then, I was having discussions with my brother where I would critique the songwriting of these tunes.  I don't think it's usual for 7 year-olds to be interested in song structure and melody writing, but it seems a path was laid out for me even back then. 

 

There are other times that I can remember where I was when I heard a song for the first time.  I remember what road I was driving on when I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the radio for the first time and had to pull over to find out who it was.  I also remember being in record stores and having to go up and ask what it was they were playing in the shop so I could buy it.  These days I make good use of Shazam in the grocery store or at a bar.  Ha!  I hope there are many more of these moments in my future. 

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

It's different every time, but I would say that the music and lyrics mostly come separately and the music usually first.  Or I'll jot down a lyric that comes to mind wherever I am.  Sometimes I'll be listening to music and a lyric will come that way.  You never know when the muse will speak.  I have found by experience that my mind is in a more creative state when waking up from sleep.  Many times I have had whole original songs playing in my head when I wake up and am half asleep.  Unfortunately once it's played through, it's gone.  You may be able to get a riff or a melody line from it, but until we can hardwire recording devices to our brains, there will always be those magical moments where the song will only get played once in my mind.  It's amazing!  The source of inspiration is a fascinating concept to me.  I think of songwriting a bit like oil painting.  Sometimes the ideas will come in parts and I'll do a few brush strokes and wait.  A lot of the process happens in my head.  If I have an idea that I find particularly inspiring, it's not uncommon for me to walk through my day with it playing in my mind.  Or as I'm trying to sleep, the melodies and riffs are on repeat which can be quite maddening - especially in the middle of the night.  This is usually how the next idea comes and the song becomes complete.  It can be a slow process sometimes.  Other times, it's very quick.  There's been many an occasion where I'll see a picture or a photo and I get a riff coming to me from looking at that.  Once I've got a bunch of ideas, I'll work at putting it all together and usually recording a demo.  The process is never really finished and I've come to learn that the final, released recorded version of the song is only one possible telling of the tale. 

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Tough question!  Who or WHAT!?  I think that this definitely changes over time and it not only incorporates many good and bad musical experiences, but for me also encompasses life experiences as well.  I have been writing songs since I was 15 or 16 when I first picked up the guitar.  I feel like songwriters are a bit like archeologists or miners always searching for an exciting musical idea or keeping their ears open to hear something yet undiscovered.  My ears latch on to musical ideas that I feel are somehow above me or appear to have dropped out of the sky.  The musical moments that make you wonder "how did they do that!?" or just speak to you directly in some way - This is an incredibly subjective process of course.  In the past, I would have said the Holy Trinity of The Beatles, The Stones and Brian Wilson, but that has definitely changed over the last few years.  Things like The Stooges, Iggy Pop, Spiritualized, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, Echo and The Bunnymen, The Cure, Nick Cave and many others have moved into the neighbourhood as well.  The process of my personal journey - life's ups and downs mixed with the entirety of my conscious and unconscious listening history have definitely had an effect on what catches my attention.  Often, I'm not even aware of the reasons why.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?


 

Lately I have been fortunate enough to play music with a whole lot of different people in various bands, which has really helped me to stay motivated and keep moving.  The more I'm around the process, the more I feel like creating and playing.  It is addictive.  Writing songs and playing live have always been the areas that I enjoy the most.  Some aspects about being in bands, do tend to lose their sheen after you've been playing for a number of years.  I'm not so keen on rehearsals these days, but I do enjoy hanging out with my musician comrades, which helps to make it more enjoyable.  The groups I'm working with are also very different in their creative approach and also in musical styles which I really like a lot.  I feel a bit like my creativity recently exists somewhat reluctantly in a vacuum.  I'm so busy with my own endeavours at the moment that I don't have a lot of time to search out new music.  I have found of late that I've been really enjoying checking out my friend's bands live.  Watching them perform and create is really inspiring and is also a more personal experience which can make it more profound for me.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

Brisbane has quite a rich rock and roll history.  Some of you may be aware of The Saints who are credited as having one of the first ever released punk rock songs in 1977.  Brad Shepherd from the Hoodoo Gurus grew up here (Todd!) and we've had a healthy list of domestically well-known groups who were birthed in our city like Regurgitator, Screamfeeder, Custard and Powderfinger to name a few.  There are also those who we'd prefer came from elsewhere!  Adding to this, there was a seedy underbelly of crime mixed with suspect conservative political powers that definitely helped shape the musical landscape.  This was especially true in the 70s and 80s and has had an ongoing influence on the local culture to this day.  We've also had some amazing companies locally that were making instruments - Drouyn drums which were used by the Easybeats and Vase amps which were also incredible.  Community radio has had a very strong presence locally with stations like 4zzz and 98.9fm flying the flag.  Brisbane currently has a vibrant live music scene with more venues than active, regular punters that want to see live music.  I'd like to think we carry all of these experiences in our DNA as a band and being around a vibrant arts community is super important for us in terms of being inspired by like-minded folk who are making their art for similar reasons that we are. 

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

Sacred Shrines was part of a song lyric from a tune I wrote for my previous band Grand Atlantic.  At the time when we felt that GA was coming to an end, it stuck in my mind as a possible name for the new project.  There weren't any other contenders.

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

I'd like to try my hand at some kind of film noir movie like The Big Sleep.  Or maybe a lost Hitchcock film?  It'd be out of this world to work with people like Wes Anderson or Michel Gondry!  I'm not holding my breath but a man can dream...

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

I think it would have to be God Only Knows by Brian Wilson.  The song seems so effortless and beautiful, but when you have a look at the chord structure and the complexity of the arrangement, it really does blow my mind.  That's one hell of an imagination he's got.  It really is a pocket symphony!

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

I've been playing in bands for a while.  There are so many.  I'm not sure how I should feel about that!  A few that spring to mind... 

 

In the early days, we would turn up to do shows pretty much any time we were asked.  We were younger then and completely inexperienced.  It was pre-internet and before the days we live in now where people are oh so savvy about how things should go.  The lovely folk that put on the show thought that they could run the vocals through their home hi-fi speakers.  Shit got blown to smithereens!

 

There was a moment many years ago that I played drums for Barry Manilow as half time entertainment at a huge sporting event.  I was teaching percussion at a school in Brisbane at the time.  My boss made me do it.  Barry came down in a helicopter.  He spoke to me briefly.  It was as surreal as it sounds.


 

I lived in the States back in the early 2000's where I was playing drums for a band based there.  We were driving back from a show in Oklahoma one night which was about a 12 hour journey.  We were 20 minutes from where we living in Nashville, travelling on music highway I-40 between Memphis and Nashville at about 1:30am when we encountered a large deer standing in the middle of the highway in our 15 passenger van pulling a trailer with all of our gear.  I was driving.  Brakes were applied.  We missed the deer.  The van was destroyed along with our gear.  Two of the passengers ended up in hospital.  The sheriff came to the scene.  It wasn't a good time.  It was the last nail in the coffin of the band.  I only realized much later, the irony that I was listening to Swervedriver on my CD player at the time of the accident.  Remember CD players?

 

One day in the mid 2000's I was fortunate enough to sit down with Van Dyke Parks and talk about songwriting with him for about 20 minutes.  He gave me his business card.  I was supposed to send him some of my music.  I never did.  Maybe I was too lazy or just afraid... 

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Playing live is a weird mix of amazing things.  There's too much waiting around, which is why I think so many artists end up checking out way too early from overindulging in their vices, trying to kill the time.  All day spent waiting and leading up to that magical hour on stage and then trying to come down afterwards.  For me, it is definitely that cliche about time moving fast and standing still concurrently.  Like you are possessed by some force.  The more that the audience are into what you're doing, the more intense the performance can be.  Conversely, there are always those moments on tour where no-one shows up to the show and you're playing for the staff and the barfly.  A bit of anger or adversity can really can push you on to play the best show you ever bled out onto a stage in your entire life - to not even a soul who cares or will even remember the next day.  I do enjoy meeting people at shows who don't play music, but are super invested and knowledgeable and are big-time music fans.  They're the ones who totally get what we do and really care about the music.  Pretty much, you can't trust what musicians say to you after a show...        

 

What makes a great song?

 

The impossible question but a great one.  My feeling is that when we listen to music, we bring not only our DNA to the party, but also the entirety of our life experiences, mixed with our own personal listening experiences to the table.  Maybe we are actually influenced by what our Mum was listening to when we were in the womb?  Maybe when we had our first kiss there was a particular song playing?  You played a certain album regularly on Friday after work, when you were getting ready to go out with friends to party.  I think that all of these things are definitely in the mix and have a profound influence on our listening experience.  I'm sure there are volumes that have been written about this topic.  And it changes over time as well.  As a person who has studied music at university level, I still don't know how to answer this question.  It has to be separated into two categories.  Do I think it's a great song?  Or is it technically a great song?  For me, I only think about the first one.  They're not mutually exclusive of course.  It has to give me the shivers down my spine for it to be great - totally subjective.  Even if it only has two chords and it's a bit out of tune!  Or when you put the record on, there has to be something that makes you want to play it again and again.  I think "I Wanna Be Your Dog" is a great song, but I also think "Moon River" by Henry Mancini is a great song too.  I'm not sure how that works really... 

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

I wish I had have picked up the guitar a lot earlier.  When I was about 16 the penny dropped and for some reason, I wanted to play the guitar and write songs straight away.  Starting my first band followed soon after.  Where does this shit come from?  It's really like it chose me instead of the other way around.  I think once I could play about 3 chords I wrote a song called "I'm Not Looking Back".  I'm pretty sure I was just trying to write a song as catchy as the Beatles.  Of course I failed.  But from memory, it wasn't as bad as it possibly could have been.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?


 

I wrote a song/piece for the first Grand Atlantic album called "Peace Be With You".  It probably goes for about 15 minutes and was back in the CD age.  It sounds as if I threw everything I could muster at the time at that track including brass, strings and harpsichord.  I think I fancied myself as a bit of a little Brian Wilson at the time, which was a fool's game.  I'm a little bewildered and even impressed at what the muse was whispering in my ear back then, and I wonder if I could ever conjure that headspace again in the future!?  Having said that, I'm always trying to look forward, and I'm a very different person now, so it would be pointless to try. 

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

I 'd hate to embarrass him, but I've always been inspired and mesmerized by Dave Challinor's songwriting from Sydney band Sounds Like Sunset.  He has a way with melody that for me is other-wordly.  I've never bought every release from any other band in the history of rock and roll, but partially by accident - I have everything in their catalogue.  Adding to this, I've known them for long enough and been friends with them for so long that I was asked to play drums in the band about 3 years ago, when their last drummer left to move cities in some sort of witness protection situation.  We're making new music together now.  I'm very happy to be involved and to play songs I've admired for a long time.  I'm a bit concerned that some of the magic may get lost along the way now that I've stepped behind the veil... but it's totally worth it!!! 

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Vinyl of course.  It's the same for most of the band, although digital obviously has it's place at times.  I gave the CD a good crack for a few years but I came to hate them.  The plastic, brittle packaging and digital feel.  I got rid of all mine about 5 years ago and never looked back.  Fortunately I never gave up the little vinyl I had accumulated as a kid when the format wars started long ago.  I play records most days at home.  They do take up A LOT of real estate though!!

 

Whiskey or Beer?  And defend your choice

 

The Boilermaker.  Both.  At the same time.  If you like beer AND whiskey, why NOT put them together?  We've certainly raised some eyebrows at bars in the past whilst on tour.  If I was forced to make a choice, it would be beer and I think the band would mostly agree.  I think of it a bit like a slow dance.  You know you're going to get to a good place eventually, it's just that there's no great rush to get there.  And you're much less likely to do something you might regret in the morning.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Brisbane, Queensland - Australia.  We have a few good record stores in our city, some run by the usual array of strange characters.  My recommendation would be Rocking Horse Records in Albert Street.  They've been open since 1975 and are total survivors.  Knowledgeable people who care about records and give discounts to the likes of me sometimes!  Heaps of old and new vinyl as well.

 

What's next for the band?

 

We're really excited about playing live again after having about 2 years away from the stage.  We're looking forward to getting the new album out to those who are listening and waiting for it and also hearing what people think about it.  That will take up most of 2021 and then we can take some time to discuss our plans.  We've been itching to get overseas and do some touring and festivals, but obviously that isn't going to happen anytime soon.  Maybe we'll try our hand at the stock market for a bit, or even start our own line of exercise wear!?  Whatever it is, it'll be a good time.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Just a sincere thanks from Sacred Shrines HQ to everyone who made their way through my answers and to those who have taken the time to check out our music, purchased a record or came out to a show.  It's been a wild ride so far and we hope to be able to keep creating and building on what we've done so far in the future.  Also, many thanks to Ripple and Rebel Waves Records for all of their love and support and for believing in us and helping us to get our music out to the right people.  Be great to see you all out on the road sometime sooner than later.  Peace!


Comments