A Ripple Conversation With Carmina From To.do.list

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Often the lyrics come first in a big outpouring, to be refined when they’re put to chords. Sometimes a little idea will expand itself into a fully fledged song, but this process is a lot slower than binging on a lyrical idea.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

I'd say Daughter influenced me the most for several years of songwriting and touring the folk scene. These days, I'm heading in more of a floaty pop direction like Papooz or alvvays, or when I collaborate with other musicians we're inspired by their repertoire and favourite genres.

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

This year hasn't done much in the ways of inspiring me. A lot of my ideas come from retrospection of life and love in the city of Manchester. My mental health is also an underlying theme of my music and I take inspiration from my perspective and experiences. Nights out, new people, tinder dates and days away always lead to inspired poetry and lyrics. I hope the return of the luxuries of life will allow for a blooming good righting session.

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

My hometown is Hull! I love The Hubbards and I saw allusondrugs (now allusinlove) at Humber Street Sesh which was always a summer priority. From playing gigs round Jazz bars, to pubs to venues such as the beloved Adelphi, if I was leaving the house, it would always be for music.  I was brought up in the countryside and always went to hippie festivals with my mum and dad growing up. I think the combination of folky story telling and lyric-driven music helped shape my style and sound.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

I always feel better once I'm ticking things off my to.do.list :) Helps keep me calm, productive and on track and you get such a buzz from finishing a list!

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It was my go to depression film for years and it never fails to cheer me up. Also, there's a vampire puppet musical at the end, so I'd get to try my hand at both love songs and a Transylvanian accent.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

"Meet Me In the Garden" by Dent May. I absolutely adore this song and their lyrics. This croony, serenading sound is one I aspire to recreate in some of my own work.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?


 

One night at Spiders club in Hull, I got very, very, very drunk and started playing a game which was essentially knocking people over while they were dancing. Where this came from and why, I'll never know. This escalated throughout the night till I was carried away by four bouncers (I think one attempted it by himself but I was too feisty). Another time, during Halloween party at Spiders, I entered the club dressed as chip spice and left it costumeless and bleeding.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

When I have played live, particularly at gigs with a fellow artist Elizabeth Pickering, there's loads of love in the room. My friends learn the words to my songs so they can sing along, and if I haven't played their favourite, there's gentle heckles from the audience. Once upon a time, someone heckled me saying my music made them depressed, and that inspired me to change it up a bit and write some happier stuff. I get quite giddy and excited if I know my friends are there and you could cut the tension with a knife for that cig before my set. Afterwards, there's loads of hugging, sometimes a free drin, and often very sweet interactions with strangers that have heard my set.

 

What makes a great song?

 

There's so many different factors for a great song. As a lyricist, I am drawn to great lyrics and imagery, but the beat and melody do it for me too, as do funky basslines. I'm a big fan of psychedelic rock and often this love is founded in melody alone, as it really takes you on a journey without the narrator. I'm a big fan of both Kikagaku Moyo and Babe Tainbow  - both of which I've seen live in Manchester.

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

For me, it's got to be "Fleet Foxes" by Fleet Foxes. This album is just incredible. I adore them and find myself lost in the lush, rich harmonies. I have many a happy memory of road trips to this album and long winter baths. They sing straight to my soul and their imagery and descriptions are mesmerising!

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

I'd have to say my newest single, "Teetering"! It's been getting lots of fuss from Australia to France and I feel so blessed having it shared and available on different outlets! This was the first time I've recorded in a studio and to have creative control was a great experience.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Aimee Fatale is killing it on the 60's crooning game! Her inspired lyrics and floaty vocals are amazing. Babe Rainbow write amazing stuff and if I ever get a band together, I'd love to work on some funkier stuff. Collaborating really expands my reference pool and allows for new sounds.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

The experience of putting a vinyl on is lovely. I have a portable CD player that was gifted to me in psych ward so I have a fondness for CDs though I don't own many. Digital is the most accessible for me at the minute, though I do prefer to listen to albums whole when I have the time

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Beer! I am not a whiskey drinker, I'm afraid and there's nothing quite like relaxing in the pub with a beer or ten :)

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Hull is my hometown and while there's a nice variety of record stores like The Warren, I'd recommend listening to live music in Jaz Bar down Humber street or at the Adelphi :)

Comments