Bandcamp Bonanza – 122

Once again, another week featuring albums on pre-order, wishlist items, that I’ve whittled down to under 200 recently, and items I’ve been spinning on my turntable already. It’s a beautiful time to be alive in the realm of recorded music. Hoping the live music is just around the corner.

 

Holy Monitor – Southern Lights

https://holymonitor.bandcamp.com/album/southern-lights

 

Kicking things off right off the bat with an album I’ve only heard the first two cuts available, but I’m familiar with the band and quite a fan of their proggy kraut rock style layered with a driving bass line, intense rhythm and kaleidoscopic energy. Pretty stoked to hear the full album. It’ll be out on February 28th. Vinyl orders available here.

 

Moon Woman – Open Gates

https://moonwomanmusic.bandcamp.com/album/open-gates

 

Mesmerizing rhythm, rumbling tone, and cosmic energy give this bad boy a seat at the heavy-psych meets indie-blues table next to bands like All Them Witches and The Devil and the Almighty Blues.

 

Arlo Parks – Collapsed in Sunbeams

https://arloparks.bandcamp.com/album/collapsed-in-sunbeams

 

I predict this one to be one of the greatest indie rock / soul albums out this year. Her warm, vivid vocals sweep across the cinematic and psychedelic at times atmosphere with poignant lyrics and catchy melody. Not my typical go-to genre but damn, if this isn’t spectacular.

 

The Blue Stones – Hidden Gems

https://thebluestones.bandcamp.com/album/pre-order-hidden-gems

 

This one is on pre-order and based on my experience of all their past material the half and half vinyl was instantly pre-ordered. With the purchase you gain access to 5 of the 10 tracks. The lead single ‘Shakin’ Off The Rust’ is an undeniable blues anthem with a kick ass video already gaining momentum to be one of 2021’s biggest poppy blues albums.  The Blue Stones exhibit a powerfully engaging spin on modern blues rock.

 

Olivier St. Louis – Matters of the Heartless

https://olivierstlouis.bandcamp.com/album/matters-of-the-heartless

 

If you’re active in using the Bandcamp mobile app such as myself, you’ll see their featured picks that are updated regularly on the Home tab of the app. I enjoy checking out stuff that I normally wouldn’t find on my wall where music supported by the fans I follow shows up. The featured section is predominantly electronic and pop stuff it seems, but there is always good stuff such as this album by Olivier St. Louis. I snagged the vinyl edition within minutes of hearing the smooth R&B/Soulful grooves. Totally worth checking out.

 

Dust Mice – Super Moon Fetus

https://dustmice.bandcamp.com/album/super-moon-fetus

 

Where has this band been all my life? The Pacific Northwest I suppose, cranking out a super progressive post-punk infused garage rock. I found them via the promotional pipeline with the heads up on their brand new upcoming album titled ‘Earth III’ which I haven’t been able to put down since downloading the files. The album is to be released sometime in April I believe and until then, chew on this prior album from 2019 and lose your shit just as I still am. Reminds me of two of my favorite rock bands who have a heavy utilization of the horn, Spidergawd and Coogans Bluff. Check all their stuff out including the new single Choom Wagon and a couple more tracks off the upcoming album and tell me you aren’t ready to hit the order button. Wow!!!

 

Reed Turchi – Creosote Flats

https://reedturchi.bandcamp.com/album/creosote-flats

 

Another pre-order I have been hovering over the purchase button for some time. Reed Turchi seems like someone I will eventually own all the records in the discography. He’s got another album just released called I’ve Chosen Love, which I just started spinning. This one in particular just seemed cool in the fact that I myself have an infatuation with the arid desert landscape. "Creosote Flats" is a limited edition of 100 numbered, autographed vinyl. Each record includes a deluxe, high quality 20 page booklet featuring photos by Mark Klett, paired with lyrics of each song, and liner notes by Peter Turchi.

 

DayGlow Mourning – Dead Star

https://dayglomourning2.bandcamp.com/album/dead-star-2

 

DayGlow Mourning bring us a Paleolithic slab of sludgy tone, progressive melody and kaleidoscopic dirge. The artwork alone speaks volume and blows mind.

 

Credit Electric – Credit Electric

https://creditelectric.bandcamp.com/album/credit-electric-3

 

Sweeps me off my feet with its cosmic ambiance, mumbled yet divine vocals, and cathartic atmosphere. Hard not to deny the attraction to this Oakland-based americana stalwart.


Jurassic Witch – Black Masses and Ashes

https://jurassicwitch.bandcamp.com/album/black-masses-and-ashes

 

4 thick cuts of fossilized fuzz raging with carnivorous tone and barbaric blues. I’ve always had a hard time choosing a favorite dinosaur and these 4 tracks make it even harder. Pure paleoriffic gold!

 

-The Huntsman


Comments