X – Alphabetland

Hey waveriders!  Did you realize that the original lineup of legendary punk rockers X released a new album earlier in 2020?  It’s true!  Alphabetland was released digitally back in late April.  I know, right?!?  Thankfully I discovered this new album while trying to track down one of their other records.  Being an X fan I quickly procured a copy for my very own, and I highly recommend that you do the same.

 

I realize you may have some questions.  Let’s see if I can address those in short order.  First, yes this is the same X that produced the albums Los Angeles, Wild Gift, Under The Big Black Sun, and More Fun In The New World.  Second, yes Alphabetland finds founding guitarist Billy Zoom on record with the band for the first time since Ain’t Love Grand.  Third, yes X sounds absolutely fantastic!  They haven’t lost a step sonically.  Alphabetland could easily have been released back when those aforementioned classic albums were unleashed on the world and it would have fit in perfectly.  I say that not only because there are new recordings of the songs “Delta 88 Nightmare” and “Cyrano deBerger’s Back” (both songs dating back to the band’s early days) but because the other songs on offer are so vibrant and enthusiastic.

 

Friends, like me many of you reading this are already long standing converts to the church of X.  You either already have a copy of Alphabetland or you need no further prodding to track down your own vinyl/cd/download of this fine album.  For those of you who haven’t ever listened to X strap in because you are in for a delightful treat!  Just don’t blame me when their glorious, righteous brand of punk/rockabilly worms its way into your ear canals and you eagerly join the ranks of the converted!

 

-Penfold


Comments