A Sunday Conversation with Gary Stautmeister of Nuclear Winter



What have been your musical epiphany moments?

As a kid when I first heard Bon Jovi and Def Leppard I thought wow - I gotta have an electric guitar! I just loved the sound and energy of it. Then came Nirvana and they were a huge influence for me. At least as a young guitarist - their songs were fun and easier to play than most other bands. Down the line someone introduced me to Paradise Lost and I was amazed - they were heavy and melodic and they are one's that got me into melodic death metal - with Dark Tranquillity being my next favourite band then.


Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

I generally get an idea of a sound I want to get across, so I'll sit and play around in Cubase and once I get close to what I had in my mind I'll start building upon it. Then I'll start seeing about the vocals. I do it all quite roughly and then go back and redo all the parts that need improving.



Who has influenced you the most?

Wintersun and Devin Townsend. Although I don't do anything that really sounds like DT - it's just what he does in his songs is really impressive to me. There's a way he manages to pack so many things into a mix and have it all working together well that I find very impressive.



Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Mostly from listening to any old songs I really like as well any cool new stuff that’s comes out where I think that’s an interesting way to do something.



We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

I've lived in Harare my whole life and its quite an unremarkable place. Apart from the weather there's not much good to say about it really. Apart from may be some nice restaurants. The last few years we've had to put up with ridiculous power cuts and fuel shortages, so life can be quite stressful here. But when it comes to focusing on music I actually need to be in a state of mind where I'm not stressing with all the things that living here throws at you. The only song I've done that is more or less about the issues here is The Coming Darkness - which is about the hopelessness you can feel about how things are here.



Where'd the band name come from?

When I worked on the ideas for my first album where the lyrics dealt alot with the extremes from things like love/hate etc and the fine line that separates them I thought Nuclear Winter worked well with that - as being the extremes of heat and cold but is a devastating thing within itself.



You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

Probably would be some kind of sci-fi movie or thriller. Maybe those combined .. Like the Event Horizon possibly.



You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

I reckon Devin Townsend's - The Mighty Masterbator. Despite its title there's a tonne of interesting lyrical stuff goin on in that song.



Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

I don't know anything about Spinal Tap so I can't think of any moments that would compare with them lol There's no outstanding moments of my musical life that I can think of - sorry I know thats boring.



Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

As a one-man band recording my stuff at home, I've not performed any of my music live yet unfortunately.



What makes a great song?

I think any song that you can listen to and realise there's something special happening that you can appreciate. It could even just be the vocal performance that makes it great for you. But it’s the best when everything about the song seems to gel.



Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

The first main song was Thine to Redeem from my album Ghost. My friend helped put together the lyrics and it’s about wanting to be with someone who you know is bad for you, but still just giving in to it anyway.



What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

I think Blueshift on my Nightshift album. That I thought came out quite well and lyrically it was an interesting topic - about the possibilities beyond death and gaining a greater knowledge of everything.



Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

Again, Devin Townsend lol. He never seems to stop and is always putting out new work. I don't know how he doesn't run out of ideas with the volume of stuff he puts out. But also, Lord of Lost is a favourite and I'm always excited to hear any new work from them




Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

Definitely digital... just way more convenient.




Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

I don't generally drink but one beer I think is quite good is Kilkenny. Just smoother than other beers.




We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

Well in Harare there's no decent record store that I know of. If you do come across one, you'll just be presented with a small selection of local music and hip hop etc.




What's next for the band?

I'll be working on songs for a new album now - but there are a couple of cover songs I've done that will be coming out soon. But now that I'm working on new songs, I won't be doing any more covers till that’s done.




Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

Maybe look out for my new EP.. StormScapes - which will be out end of May. Also, there will be a couple of extra cover songs being released at some point.



https://nuclearwinterzim.bandcamp.com/  

Comments