A Ripple Conversation with Georg from Mothers of the Land



When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

The bigger ones happened when i was in my teens. Hearing Thin Lizzy for the first time. Or early Iron Maiden. Nowadays i enjoy small epiphanies here and there. It's an ongoing process.

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

First there's a melody popping up as a thought. Then I have to see how I can play it on the electric guitar. Then I record the bass line and a second guitar line making harmonies. Once there are 3 or more parts ready, we work it out as a band, when we are in the practice room.

Who has influenced you the most?

Probably past and present band members.

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Ideas tend to always float around. The hard part is to catch and remember them. Working with different musicians can be helpful for me. Sometimes it is very inspiring to watch and listen to other bands live performances.

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

We live in a big city with a long history of classical music, art and architecture. There is this mix between hectic city life and nature on the outskirts. I like that.

Where'd the band name come from?

It was used as a song title 10 years ago. We liked how it sounded and we used it as the band's name ever since.

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

A movie taking place in medieval times. (Including Dragons and wizards).

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

That's a hard one... Far Beyond The Sun by Yngwie Malmsteen. It tells a story without lyrics.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

I'm sure we have had some, but I don't really remember them too well. We actually switched names of two songs on our first album by accident. haha

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

Playing live is probably the best part about being in a band. It can be totally exhausting but in the end the one hour on stage and the one hour after the show is worth it.

What makes a great song?

In my opinion a song is great when it reaches the listener on an emotional level.

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

The first real song I wrote was about creativity, passion and the determination to work hard as a band, no matter what. That was 10 years ago.

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

I am very proud of our two Mothers of the Land albums.

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

Sacri Monti writes great songs in my opinion. Great twin guitar work. Smooth bass riffs and spaced out vocals. Earthless totally just kicks my ass. I have had the pleasure seeing them live, in a small club. Ecstatic!

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

All of the above. If I could afford it I would buy vinyls.

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

First some beers then one good whiskey, but since I have to choose I say beer. Because it has electrolytes, haha. Also in Austria we have really good beer.

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

In our hometown (Vienna) I suggest you visit the TOTEM record store.

What's next for the band?

Right now we really want to play live shows again. Depending on ideas and inspiration, we will work on new material for a third album.

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

Thank you for your interest in rock music. Also if you like twin guitar work, check out our new album called Hunting Grounds, available on June 19. Take care and ride on!!!

Comments