Bandcamp Bonanza – 104


This week the theme is hard driving bass. In fact, I think the theme of every album I find intriguing is its kinship with the bass guitar. Most of these my ears went straight to the big fat groove carrying a relentless weight across the stage.

Electric Riders – The Trial
The Trial is a successful blend of Rush, Zeppelin and Tull slapping together epic bass lines, progressive twists, dynamic groove and jazzy interludes to create a fresh sense of nostalgia. This is incredibly diverse and intriguing all the same. Gets better as it plays on.

Slingshot – Pieces in Relation
Imagine Pearl Jam grooving progressive stoner rock in an Austrian desert. Again, the bass makes it all happen. Deep and slappy, just how I like it.

Aunt Cynthia’s Cabin – Misty Woman
'Misty Woman' lights the night with her mind melting psych dripping with absolutely riveting bass runs, celestial rhythm and sun-baked solos. Aunt Cynthia's Cabin is fortified in a spiritual haze of riffs swirling with cosmic swagger and arid fuzz.

Bambara - Stray
Normally not my go-to style but its kind of hard not to be astonished at the quality of this release by Bambara. A new discovery for me and a damn fine piece of post-punk gold. The groove is powerful and the vibes are both haunting and uplifting at the same time. I’ll be spending some more time with this and eventually adding to my collection.

Levitating Churches – Rock-n-Roll Hell
I was sold after 30 seconds, and after finishing I’m quite blown away. Rock-n-Roll Hell is a proto-punk powerhouse chalked full of boogie and guzzling with groove.

Fever Dog – Second Wind
When that trippy solo hits on Lady Snowblood/Child of the Netherworlds you just know. The entire album is something special and I’m looking forward to their new one spring 2020! This is an older release but one I came back to and added based on the news of a new one and release of a couple new singles you can find on the page.

Lykantropi – Lykantropi
Hell, I haven’t even listened to this yet but it was in my wishlist, which I was perusing while putting this together and just looking at it on bandcamp I knew it fit the theme of this week’s album recommendations. I added to my wishlist for that very reason. Intuition. You know what, I just went ahead and bought the vinyl after only a minute into the first song. This is going to be fantastic.

The High Divers – Ride With You
I found these guys through another band I had recently discovered from South Carolina as well. A bunch of these bands run together and The High Divers is right down my alley. A little bit of blues, a pinch of country, and a whole lotta rock and soul. Quite a variety of genre crossing and executed with style and persuasion. It’s produced by Sadler Vaden (Jason Isbell guitarist) so you know its gonna be great, right?

Michael – Tell Your Friends
Album title works because the music is bad ass. Controlled chaotic intensity with battering melody and angsty hooks. A little bit of everything heavy. Setting itself apart from the pack. Tell your friends too!


-The Huntsman

Comments