A Ripple Conversation With James Marshall From Forming The Void


When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears. What have been your musical epiphany moments?

My brother used to make mixtapes when we were kids. He showed me plenty of stuff but
Enter Sandman was my earliest memory hearing a song that I liked enough to play again on my own. Gotta love those analog tapes haha.

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

We've taken a variety of approaches to songwriting over the years, but what happens most commonly is a feel or riff that comes to mind. Then I'll make a digital copy on Studio One and show the guys, we'll jam on it, trade riffs and make changes so it plays to everyone's strengths and feels natural. We try to do a lot of demoing both digital and live.

Who has influenced you the most?

In high school or early college, I'd probably say Mastodon would come to mind first. But if I think about it, the most consistent musical influence for me has been Ozzy--whether it was his solo records or his Sabbath-era stuff, I listened to it when I was young and keep coming back to it again and again. If there's any artist I'll never skip on, it's Ozzy.

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

New music always inspires me. I'll search out new music in various avenues (music publications, YouTube, Spotify, etc.) and there will be some new band that will really motivate me and get the juices flowing.

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

We live in a swampy part of the country--it's hot and humid but beautiful in its own way. The local culture is very diverse too. You could say those eclectic elements are all reflected in our music.

Where'd the band name come from?

I was really drawn to the idea of the void around the time I was forming this band. Played around with different combinations/variations focused on that word void. The one that stuck was really the one that the fewest people around me seemed to dislike haha. I also did my homework and made sure there were no other competing band names floating around.

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

The two movies that come to mind for me are Darren Arronofsky's The Fountain or The Revenant. Both movies have juxtaposing moments of fear and terror and overwhelming joy. They both have incredible imagery that inspires me and themes that really resonate.

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?). You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

You might be able to guess since we covered it, but Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. If I'm going to write a thousand words, it'd have to be on an epic song and Kashmir fits the bill easily. It's got depth and movement, with great rhythm and incredible vocals. 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

We're a pretty young band so we're lacking in a ton of experience to have a *great* Spinal Tap moment, but we do have a tendency to give our songs some pretty ridiculous names before the final pressing. A few that come to mind are "Big Fucking Dog", "Stanky Mountain", & "Weedland". Guess what songs those turned into lol

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

In a lot of ways, we live for live shows. That's where you can connect with your audience. The best part, when you really know you've made a connection, is when fans start singing along and knowing the words. That's gotten more and more common lately and it's the greatest feeling.

What makes a great song?

A great song has to evoke something within. A great rock song has a good rhythm and that thing that just sticks with you.

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?  

It was sad, if I'm being honest. When I started playing and writing music, it was an outlet for a lot of negativity. I've found that those songs aren't much fun to recite and nobody really wants a Debby-downer, so I've since started to focus more on enjoyable energies.     

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Shrine is probably my favorite FTV song right now. It's got all of the identifying qualities that our music has.

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard. They put out such great and varied records so quickly--not to mention they have an amazing live show. Two drummers playing in stereo? Those guys aren't human.

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

I hope your readers don't roast me too must but, I tend to go digital most of the time. It's just too damn convenient.

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

I'm a fan of both, but I'd say whiskey if I have to pick. Beer seems to dry my voice out more.

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

We only have one in little ole Lafayette, Lagniappe Records.

What's next for the band?

We're hard at work on the new album, demoing live and digital versions of the songs. We're booking a few cool things for the year that we can't announce just yet.

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders? 

Thanks for the taking the time to chat! We're currently hard at work on our upcoming album! We also have some rad upcoming shows this summer as well!

May 24 at The Freetown Boom Boom Room in Lafayette, LA with Lord Dying, Year of the Cobra, and Electric Age
May 25th at Skull Mechanix Brewing in Austin, TX with Telekinetic Yeti, The Well, Burn Ritual, and Moonwatcher.
May 31 Chicago Doomed and Stoned Festival at Reggies in Chicago, IL
June 21 at The Evening Muse in Charlotte, NC
June 22 Maryland Doom Fest at Cafe 611 in Frederick, MA
June 26 at The Riot Room in Kansas City, MO with Year of the Cobra, A Light Within, and Orphans of Doom
July 26 Ohio Doomed and Stoned Fest at Buzzbin in Canton, OH

Comments