A Ripple Conversation With Grusom!




When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.



What have been your musical epiphany moments?

Well, as you say, there have been many moments.  But yeah, let's talk about the important ones.  I remember clearly, the very first time I heard "Nightrain", by Guns N' Roses.  It was on the annual summer camping trip, with my grand parents, their friends and their friends kids.  The other kids, all older than me, were at the beach one night looking at the sunset, when one of them suddenly puts on GnR on the ghettoblaster.  This was in 1990, so it was still just cassette tapes.  But the sound of Slash' guitar, and Axl's voice, totally blew my mind, and that started it all.  Later that summer, my mom met some guy, who had Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" on vinyl, along with accept "Balls to the wall".  I remember just falling in love with the cover art on "Number of the Beast", so I insisted that my mother put it on the record player.  "Naturally" she didn't like it, so she had my uncle make me a cassette tape, with those two records.  Later when I was in 7th. grade, I guy from my class played "Light my Fire" and "The End" by The Doors.  And that was probably my biggest epiphany.  The Doors is by far my favorite band, and Jim is just.. Yeah.. I like Jim.

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

Well, most of the times I've written some lyrics, and some chords on the guitar to go along with them.  Sometimes it's a riff, other times just chords.  Most of the time, I just need my guys to get that feeling, which I'm trying to create.  Not necessarily to play the things I bring.  I enjoy sometimes just to sit my ass down, and watch the guys create.  They are a talented bunch.  We are a 6 man group, and only 3 of us have really ever listen to The Doors.  Dennis (Guitar), was very much into the 90's metal scene (Pantera, Metallica etc.), and Thomas (Guitar) was totally into the 90's skatepunk scene.  And Søren (bass, and was actually a drummer, before he started playing in Grusom) was all about Nirvana and Rage Against The Machine, so the sound is often quite noisy, when writing new tunes.  But slowly and steady we take out the elements, from the noise, that works and put it together.  Peter (Keys) sometimes shows up to a rehearsal, with an idea, a riff or a melody, that just blows our minds.  And those songs just create themselves, from lyrics to melody, riffs.. all of it.  Often quite fast.  Those days are really fun!

Who has influenced you the most?

Personally, The Doors.  Without a doubt. I can't really explain it.  Because I realize, that none of them were them most talented musicians, I'm not saying they were bad either.  Not at all.  But they just had something magical.  And still every time I listen, I get mesmerized.  As far as influences, band wise, the first thing that Thomas and I agree on, when we decided to start a band, was that Graveyard was a fucking kick ass band.  So, they also helped us get going.

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

I've always been a fan of poets, word magicians.  So I'm not really looking anywhere in particular.  I've listen to some great, dark country lately, with some real sinister lyrics.  I'm often inspired to write based on how I feel (mostly when I feel down, as most of the lyrics suggest...haha.), or certain events of my life.  There has been quite a few, and not all of them good.  But it gets easier to deal with, once it's on paper.  And especially when you've got 5 guys behind you, who just gets it and just start playing.

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

We live in a very small town, in the southern part of Denmark.  And we are very fortunate to have a great musical environment, that have produced quite a few bands through out the years.  So growing up in a town, where you could easily meet people to play with, certainly reflects in the quality of music, that comes from here. But again, we are just a small town, so it's also limited how much or how many we produce, of course.

Where'd the band name come from?

The Band name "Grusom" (Cruel, in english), is inspired by the lyrics, which might be a bit dark.  It actually took us awhile, to come up with a bandname.  But one day I was on the phone with Thomas, he just came up with it, almost out of nowhere.

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

Haha!  I think maybe if Rob Zombie made a sequel to "The Devil's Rejects".  I would love to write a song for that movie!

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

Oh, definitely Bob Dylan's "Masters of War".  It's an absolute masterpiece.  He wrote that song at the age of 21.  It's a protest song, so well written.  The way he uses imagery combined with some really heavy blows, to the system and part of society.  It would be a great song for the purpose.  When it comes to lyrics, he might actually be my biggest idol.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

Well, the greatest experience on a stage, was definitely when we played Copenhell in 2016.  That was a pretty good day.  And Black Sabbath played the same day, so you can imagine that it's a difficult one to top.

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

To me, personally, it's what I live for.  Being on stage is the best high you can get, and it's free, it's healthy for you soul and your mind.  And sharing that feeling with some of your best friends (and the audience, obviously), well that's a privilege.  I feel extremely grateful to have that opportunity, and on that other hand, this is what I'm good at, so there is nothing else that I wanna do. 

What makes a great song?

A great songs is made by: A good melody, well written lyrics, some killer riffs and something hard and heavy from your rhythm section.  But it all depends, you know.  It often starts with the melody, or a riff, I think, and then it just moves on from there.

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

I think the first song I ever wrote for Grusom, was "Cold Stone" from our first album.  It's a song about pain and rootlessness.  Not havin' the comfort of a decent home.

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Lyricswise, I'm really happy about our newest single "Vågn Op", which is actually a danish song, (the only one I wrote).  But musically I think maybe "The Journey" from the first album, or "Skeletons" from the new album. I really like those songs.

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

Well, since he's still here, I have to say Bob Dylan.  He is just in a whole different league, when it comes to song writing.  But also, I really like Primordial.  They write some really heavy shit too.

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

You can't really argue, that vinyl just sounds amazing, and I do own a record player.  That being said, I use Spotify, alot!

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

Beer. I never learned to drink whiskey, man.  It's just too harsh.

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

We have a cool little shop, run by volunteers, called "Vinylen" (The Vinyl). They have some pretty cool records down there, and they always have time to chat about music etc. Real nice place!

What's next for the band?

Next up? Well, hopefully a lot of touring, now that our 2nd album is comin' out soon. And then maybe, write another album. We are not quite done, yelling a religious fools, and there are still a few demons that needs to be exorcised.

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

To all you beautiful waveriders! We hope that you all have had an amazing summer, and that you will go and give our new record a listen once it hit all of your favorite platforms, on Aug. 31. And until then, Ride on! \m/

Comments