Poseidon – Prologue



Imagine a great beast that slumbers beneath the surface of the Earth. It is so massive that it spans continents. Any inopportune movements would crumble mountain ranges and demolish civilizations. Now imagine that once a millennia this great beast slowly awakens to truly fuck shit up for mankind. Imagine the power possessed by a monstrosity like that. Put that power into the form of music and you have Poseidon.

This band is everything I love about music. They bring a fully immersive experience,which for me is what the very best bands accomplish. A pop band, or rock band, is not able to do this. Their songs are not long enough, nor do their songs carry enough heft. This is music that you want to turn up louder and louder, so the music will pound and pummel you appropriately. It is also music that is richly nuanced, and gives more of itself with each listen. Bands like this that can deftly swing from crushing power to acoustic finesse do not come along all the time. They are very worthy of our attention when they do come along.

“Prologue” is the first work in The Medius Chronicle, which tells the story of the destruction and reconstruction of a post-apocalyptic world. I hope it is the first of many such albums. I hope that someone gives these gentlemen a massive pile of money so that they don't have to worry about anything else except for getting this chronicle out into the world. I'll take it however I can get it though.

The entire album is simply amazing. The band plays with a great command of tempos and textures and is able to bring forth strong emotions in the listener. I would love to hear this band live as I'm sure they play at a volume that would do justice to the music. I love the first track on this album, “The Beginning; The End, The Colony”. The riffs are incredible and feel like slabs of sonic fury. There is a passage that includes dissonant notes that come and go and stab at the listener, and serve as a reminder that all is not right here. This is just one of many examples of the band using sound to tell a story, to create an atmosphere, to pull you in to their world.

I've listened to this album several times now, and every single time its over I want to drop the needle again. Immediately. I've gotten upset if the phone rings while I'm in the middle of listening. I truly want to just drop out of what I am doing and drop in to what this band is laying down. This has got to be a year end top 10 album on my list. I can't believe that there would 10 more albums released this year better than this one. If there are, I can't wait to hear them. My advice to you; don't wait to hear this one. Jump on it as soon as you can. You will be rewarded in more ways than you thought possible from music.

-ODIN

Comments