The Inspector Cluzo - Gasconha Rocks



 
Good day waveriders!  It's high time I give credit where credit is due.  Last year I downloaded an album.  What kind of album?  Don't be ridiculous...the rocking kind!  I sampled the first song off of Gasconha Rocks by The Inspector Cluzo and immediately decided that it was worthy of investigation.  After the download completed I listened to the whole shebang and a funny thing happened.  My ears told me that this album was fantastic, but then my brain got in the way.  Allow me to explain.

Perhaps you've experienced this situation.  As I mentioned a moment ago upon listening to Gasconha Rocks my ears essentially screamed at my brain for thirty straight minutes that I had stumbled onto hard rockin', audio gold.  All ten songs made my head bob back and forth and had my toes tappin' enthusiastically.  This was a bona fide winner!  We're talking slam dunk territory!  But then my brain had to get involved, and guess what happened?  That's right.  I convinced myself my ears were wrong.

Does this music rock?  Of course it does!  I mean several songs sound incredibly like The Rolling Stones.  This one?  Very reminiscent of Led Zeppelin.  How about that track?  Oh well, the guitar riff is pretty darn close to Foreigner's "Feels Like The First Time".  The point is my lizard brain successfully argued that I only enjoyed The Inspector Cluzo because they mimicked music I grew up listening to on the radio.  Unfortunately I bought into the argument and put Gasconha Rocks aside.

Fast forward to present day.  I happened to stumble upon the album while exploring my old playlists and I listened to it again.  Same music, different result.  I realized that I don't care one bit if The Inspector Cluzo don't reinvent the wheel with their music.  So what if the opening track "Hello Goodbye Education" has a guitar riff that is disturbingly familiar yet I can't dredge up the identity of the original artist from my memory banks?  Honestly it bothers me every time, but I'm getting sidetracked.  The bottom line is that this music is awesome!  Flat out outstanding, old school rock 'n' roll that will light a fire under all but the most curmudgeonly of rock fans! 

Trust me waveriders.  Don't outsmart yourself.  If you listen to an album and like what you hear, tell your overanalyzing brain to take a hike!  Also, I urge you to sample The Inspector Cluzo's wares.  You're going to like Gasconha Rocks.  I guarantee it!

-Penfold


Comments