Marmozets - The Weird And Wonderful Marmozets


Inside a production meeting for 'Animals Tonight',  the #1 rated animal-based talk show on television.

"Penfold, you're my producer.  I depend on you to book acts and animals that our audience wants to see.  Up until this morning you've done a decent job, but I'm looking at the schedule for tonight and we have a problem.  I see a blank space under 'guest performance'.  Penfold, why do we not have a guest performer scheduled tonight?"
"I'm sorry boss but I couldn't find any zoological act that is passing through town."
"You're sorry, Penfold?  You're sorry?  You know what?  I'm sorry too.  I'm sorry that you clearly don't care about this show's success.  I'm sorry that your new found incompetence is going to allow those losers at 'Animals Up Late' to surpass us and become the top rated animal-based talk show!"
"Boss, it's only one night."
"One night!?  Oh, that's rich Penfold!  One night he says!  Do you realize what will happen if we don't have a third guest/performer on the show tonight?  Do you have any idea?"
"You'll run out of cue cards and the show will end with five minutes of silence?"
"Penfold?"
"Yes my liege?"
"Cut the attitude.  You have one hour to book a suitable act for the show tonight.  If you can't get me what I need, I'll find someone else who will.  Do I make myself clear?"
"Crystal clear sir."

30 minutes later

"Boss, I found the perfect group to perform on tonight's show."
"Oh?  Tell me, who did you find so quickly?"
"An act called The Weird And Wonderful Marmozets."
"Excellent!  We haven't had any monkeys on the show in months!  What do they do?"
"They're going to play some music for us."
"Fantastic!  When will they be here?"
"They're on the road now.  Due to traffic they will arrive after the start of the show, but don't worry.  I've been assured that they can quickly set up their equipment and be ready to perform when we need them."
"You've seen them perform before Penfold?"
"Yes sir, and I'm telling you the kids love them."
"Good.  Perhaps I'll let you keep your job awhile longer."
"Very kind of you sir."

Post Show

”Penfold you ingrate!  There were no monkeys in that act!  The network is furious!"
"Whoa there big shot.  I never said there would be monkeys.  Also, I've accepted a position with another show so...adieu."

Waveriders, there's something I need to tell you.  I don't want to hurt your feelings but I've been seeing this band for the past couple of weeks and our listening relationship...well, it's getting pretty serious.  Wait!  Hold on!  I know what you're going to say.  'Penfold, you're not the type of music enthusiast who is looking to settle down'.  You're one hundred percent right!  This whole situation stemmed from a chance encounter!  Our courtship wasn't anything I planned out ahead of time, but now that it's happened I can't hide my true feelings behind a veil of secrecy.  I love the band Marmozets.  I love them and I love their album The Weird And Wonderful Marmozets.  Now before you get upset would you let me explain?  Please?  Thank you.

Like I said this whole situation began not because I went looking for new tunes.  Honest, the exact opposite is true.  I was cruising around the internet when I came across a list produced by Rhythm magazine entitled '10 drummers you need to know about this month' (this month being April, 2015).  John Tempesta, a drummer whose work I am fond of made the list so I decided to check it out.  When the webpage loaded I discovered the drummer from Marmozets was the first featured skin-basher.  Thanks to the complimentary description of the band I felt compelled to click on the provided youtube link and watch the music video for their song "Why Do You Hate Me?".  The following is as accurate an accounting of my thoughts as I can muster.

0:10 - Hmm?  This band sounds pretty good.
0:32 - Okay then.  Wasn't expecting the vocals to have such bite.
0:45 - Yeah, this sounds really good.
1:10 - Now that's a powerful chorus!
1:34 - What was I thinking before?  This sounds great!
1:56 - Wait a second.  Maybe I'm getting a little too enthusiastic?
2:14 - Nope!  This song is fantastic!  That riff is awesome!
2:24 - Nice!  A little added complexity never hurt anybody.
2:40 - Why have I not heard about this band?
2:42 - When was this video released?
2:44 - March, 2014?  Seriously???
2:46 - How could my extensive quest for good music fail me so completely?!?
3:03 - What a finish!
3:09 - I MUST OWN WHATEVER ALBUM THIS SONG APPEARS ON ASAP!

So, you ask, did I follow through and order the album immediately?  Yes.  Yes I did.  When you meet the right band it's the closest thing to magic that exists in this world.  I added The Weird And Wonderful Marmozets to my Amazon shopping cart and hit the checkout button right after the music video reached it's conclusion.  With that taken care of I toggled back to youtube and spent the next 20 minutes watching every official music video I could find along with a few live recordings of the band in action.  Everything sounded so wonderful I had trouble believing my ears!

How do I describe Marmozets' sound?  One word; malleable.  Every song on the album brings something different to the table.  The previously mentioned "Why..." is brit-rock on steroids.  "Born Young And Free" is an accelerated, anthemic post-hardcore song.  "Captivate You" is a power ballad with testicular fortitude.  "Vibetech" is straight up math metal.  There are progressive tracks that build to towering bursts of melodic energy such as "Cry" and "Hit The Wave".  "Love You Good" is a nasty, straight forward rocker.  The title track takes pop punk and molds it into a razor sharp cutting tool designed for maximum sonic penetration.  And then there's "Move, Shake, Hide".  Words fail me.  I like this song that much.

What I'm trying to tell you waveriders is that Marmozets make me happy.  Exceedingly happy.  Downright blissful in fact!  We may still be in the honeymoon phase of our listening relationship, but I can tell you right now that The Weird And Wonderful Marmozets is at the top of my list for album of the year.  Take a listen to this band folks, put a ring on it, and let's all live happily ever after.

- Penfold

Buy Here: Amazon


Comments